Who got the NOS Solo Twin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, looks like I've opened up a can of worms here. What's new, lol.

So what's wrong with a bidding agreement amongst friends? IIRC, you Poulan guys do similiar all the time. It's no different than you and I, Mike, knowingly bidding up a 8500. "Hey, let me see how much I can make you pay for that saw."

If I ever own one, it WILL BE RUN. I don't care if I'm the first to ever take it out of the box. That's what intriques me about this saw, is it's special sound. I round a sand dune drag racing Yamaha Banshee for years and it's simply music to my ears.

There are a couple of MAJOR differences Brad!

1) We are bidding on Poulans, of which there are thousands, and we all know there will be another come along before long. We aren't trying to manipulate the market price, just keep from running up the bid on a friend. No different than being at a live auction and seeing a friend bidding on an item and deciding not to bid against him.
2) Knowing who is bidding, and not bidding against them because they are a friend is totally different than conspiring amongst a group to purposely deflate the value of a rare item.
3) We all agreed when we developed our recognition code, that if it comes to a rare item all friendships were off, and we would let the price be what the market would bear.

Hope that helps clear it up for you Brad.
BTW -I was prepared to go to $10,000 on that saw so I just know you will let me have it for $500.00.......................................RIGHT???

Mike

There are a couple of MAJOR differences Brad!

1) We are bidding on Poulans, of which there are thousands, and we all know there will be another come along before long. We aren't trying to manipulate the market price, just keep from running up the bid on a friend. No different than being at a live auction and seeing a friend bidding on an item and deciding not to bid against him.
2) Knowing who is bidding, and not bidding against them because they are a friend is totally different than conspiring amongst a group to purposely deflate the value of a rare item.
3) We all agreed when we developed our recognition code, that if it comes to a rare item all friendships were off, and we would let the price be what the market would bear.

Hope that helps clear it up for you Brad.
BTW -I was prepared to go to $10,000 on that saw so I just know you will let me have it for $500.00.......................................RIGHT???

Mike

I fail to see the real difference, although I understand your point. A 8500 or 5200 isn't as rare as a Solo Twin, but are still not that plentiful. Mike, If I knew you were definately going to bid $10K on this saw, I would not bid at all. Why would I? It is based on trust though, and I know you wouldn't do me wrong. There's only one person here that out bid me, other than the winner. That means it might be between me and him on this next one, maybe not. If I know he's definately going to bid 3K on it, then I certainly would not bid. I don't glory in making him pay any more than he has to.

I fail to see the real difference, although I understand your point. A 8500 or 5200 isn't as rare as a Solo Twin, but are still not that plentiful. Mike, If I knew you were definately going to bid $10K on this saw, I would not bid at all. Why would I? It is based on trust though, and I know you wouldn't do me wrong. There's only one person here that out bid me, other than the winner. That means it might be between me and him on this next one, maybe not. If I know he's definately going to bid 3K on it, then I certainly would not bid. I don't glory in making him pay any more than he has to.

It's not about glory.
It is kinda like the bear and the tennis shoes.
These shoes don't have to help me outrun the bear, they only have to help me outrun you!
Your max bid is what the saw is worth to you.
His max bid is what the saw is worth to him.

One will be higher!
Unless of course it is worth more to someone who hasn't entered the fray yet.

Mike

Oh boy, looks like I've opened up a can of worms here. What's new, lol.

So what's wrong with a bidding agreement amongst friends? IIRC, you Poulan guys do similiar all the time. It's no different than you and I, Mike, knowingly bidding up a 8500. "Hey, let me see how much I can make you pay for that saw."

If I ever own one, it WILL BE RUN. I don't care if I'm the first to ever take it out of the box. That's what intriques me about this saw, is it's special sound. I round a sand dune drag racing Yamaha Banshee for years and it's simply music to my ears.

Sorry, but i think it has merit, not everyone that would want one could afford one and not everyone that could afford one would want one.

So far there are 3 people bidding on the listed saw that started "unreserved" @ 1200 indicating to me that if the owner got 1200 he would be satisfied as he has no choice but to take it if only one person bid.

I think Brads theory is simple, a group of mates who want one say what they are willing and able to pay and the bloke who is willing to pay the most "seriously" gets to have an uncontested shot. There will always be the outsider to throw the odd spanner in the works, but over the course of a few auctions the few of you here that want and can afford one could end up with one and at the same time possibly save yourselves a bucket load of cash.

Just reminds me, a few years back there was a cylinder head for a 2.8 diesel toyota on the bay, my mate needed one and i was fitting it up for him. The bidding started @ $200 and i won it for $395, although it was funny later on, we were fairly sad when we found out that the only two bidders on the head were the pair of us idiots.

Bidding exists in the way it does because bidders play against eachother. It's a competitive game, a gamble.

Too much is known for the bid to be carried out naturally when people start sharing and giving such information.

It's no different than "friends" sharing what hands they have in a game of poker. Even the tiniest change in variables completely changes the course of the game and puts it in a very different place it would have been in otherwise.....

It's not fair to the seller, nor is it fair to the other bidders who have no idea there are bidders sharing information.

Bidding exists in the way it does because bidders play against eachother. It's a competitive game, a gamble.

Too much is known for the bid to be carried out naturally when people start sharing and giving such information.

It's no different than "friends" sharing what hands they have in a game of poker. Even the tiniest change in variables completely changes the course of the game and puts it in a very different place it would have been in otherwise.....

It's not fair to the seller, nor is it fair to the other bidders who have no idea there are bidders sharing information.

The term is collusion.

^ to mattcrowe. I don't think you understand just how super RARE this saw really is. Plus the sound of a twin motor is unebelievably sweet . So there you have two things going for it. This saw is by far one of the rarest saws that has been on ebay (as far as I know) for atleast the 3 years that I have been viewing these forums. Put it this was most members on arborist site probably have a better chance of winning some form of larger pay out lottery then getting a solo twin.

Guys am I right?

I have a selfish idea:msp_tongue: No one else bid on this saw. I promise to bring it to GTGs and share it. It WILL be run!
I've got a better idea. Bid what you are willing to pay and let the market determine the price. Or, if you're that hard up, you could always go find the guy who won it and steal it from him.

Latest posts

Back