Who has the best Spark Plugs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone ever heard of Gator spark plugs??? good, bad, ugly?

got one in my husky right now...no problem yet but i have just bought 2 NGK BPM7A's per the manuals as stock plugs. just curious

anyone ever heard of Gator spark plugs??? good, bad, ugly?

got one in my husky right now...no problem yet but i have just bought 2 NGK BPM7A's per the manuals as stock plugs. just curious

I think you need the BPMR7A's for some sort of technical reason. The resistor is necessary for something, maybe someone can confirm or debunk this.

I think you need the BPMR7A's for some sort of technical reason. The resistor is necessary for something, maybe someone can confirm or debunk this.

The R (resistor) to cut down the transmission noise from the ignition. It's picked up by TV's and radio's.

At least that is what I remember, I could be wrong :biggrinbounce2:

Resistor plugs & resistor plug wires were originally developed for automotive use. Their use dramatically reduced the amount of pulse noise coming through your amplitude modulated radio, and later on through your eight track and cassette stereos. (Magnetic tape heads pick up all kinds of radio frequency interference. Thank God for cd's.) Pulse noise sounds like a crackling sound when it plays through your speakers. It speeds up with increases in rpm's and slows down with decreases. It is kind of like an audible tachometer.

I believe resistor plugs are used so your saw does not create noise on someone else's communication equipment and thus interfere with it, a FCC thing. :popcorn:

maybe its got the "R" in it...have to check. those where the letters and numbers i could remember....what did i have for supper last night again??? lol

I guess it's just preference, but i don't like champion, Most everything has ngk or bosch in them. Have had too many champions fail me in the past. Now they seem to work just fine in a briggs and stratton engine.

And Johnson outboards. I don't like Chumpions so I replaced them with NGKs soon after I bought the boat. It "burped" a lot at idle and such. Went back to new Champs and it smoothed right out. Can't complain if it likes the $.99 plugs!

I use NGKs in my bikes, Bosch in my saws, anything but Champion in my car & truck

Used Champion in a Cuyuna 2-stroke in an ultralight airplane--once! It is not cool to lose the engine at about 100 ft. off the ground. Talked with many who had similar problems. Switched to NGK and Bosch. No problems. I know that a chainsaw is not the same application exactly, but a few cents more give me peace of mind.

Maybe the problem wasn't Champion, but the type of plug you were using (non-resister vs resistor type) I know some of my equipment specifically calls for the resistor type (R in the part number designation) as the non-resistor type will sometimes interfere with equipment sensitive to different frequencies.

ex. Champion CJ7Y vs RCJ7Y. Same plug just one has a resistor.

I have used all different brands of plugs and never had a problem as long as I used whatever the manufacturer recommends. (I can't believe I just said that.) Just my two cents.

Quarter century + ago I tuned up jap bikes in a motrcycle shop. Almost always ngk looked better and held up better then champions so then I developed a liking for ngk but I usually use Bosch in my stihls because I find them more places to buy. I'm not real particular, but Champion still is far from my first choice in whatever.

If you work on any german cars, you may notice that they come with NGK plugs. I've always ran NGK's and had excellent luck with them.

Back