Who Has The Fastest Stihl 020?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, I was in Austin Texas and drove to Buda then cycled to Driftwood Texas and back in 1999.
Ekka, 1000board ft. of Bulgarian logs weighs 13,000 lbs on the Doyle log rule and I believe there is 4.4 cubic metres in 1000 board ft. so 1cm3 of Bulgarian Bugwood would weigh about 3000 lbs or about the same as your Ironbark.

Ed, it was cold last night and the leaves all shrunk back waiting for the warm sun again. I picked out 30 ripe pumpkins so I hope my name is on them as I am having woodfibre withdrawals. LOL
John
tree.jpg

maybe but once I get the 088 motor in this MS200 we will see , god they donot leave alot of room in these top handle saws now do they :)

Gypo,

I finally figured out why that 020 is so fast. You've got a bloody fusion reactor in your hands!!!!!!!! That Bulgarian Bugwood at 3000Lbs/Cm3 must have come at the result of some mighty fusion if gold weighs in at a mere 13 grams/Cm3. Nuclear fusion power in a top handle saw, geez it just ain't fair! :dizzy:

Hi Jackman , thanks for pointing that out to me lol. I meant it to say cubic metres, but I guess it looked like cubic centimetres, however, I wouldn't mind a cubic metre of gold or even 100 LB's of 50's for that matter.
John
G5.jpg

Gypo -- any chance you ever strapped a ... video camera onto a tree, so that it starts out looking up like that picture above, and then shows the tree coming over ... the video would catche the whole process, from crack, to swoop, to bounce?

Molecule said:
Gypo -- any chance you ever strapped a ... video camera onto a tree, so that it starts out looking up like that picture above, and then shows the tree coming over ... the video would catche the whole process, from crack, to swoop, to bounce?
Hi Molecule, I actually discussed that very scenario with a camera salesperson last week. So I am going to duct tape myold Sony FD88 to a tree and set the self timer as it's about to fall. Trees rarely roll much on level ground so it shouldn't harm the camera.
John

I had to get rid of a 44" swamp monster (tulip magnolia) in my back yard, which was growing 1" in diameter a year. After thinking about it, I just straight dropped it. It had 1-30" branch, and 2-24" branches all on the target side. I cut a full-90 face cut (to leave the main trunk up high on the stump), put about 10k dynamic pull at 20 ft up, with a winch and a strop (to accelerate the drop so as to bust up those swamp branches when they hit), snipped the backstrap and jumped back a bit ... and sha zamm. Love them dynamic drops! I had laid out some logs at critical points in the target zone to break the branches, and keep them from poking into the ground ... and it worked out beautifully. Now I wish I could have had thought to make a video, to study how the branches were snapping versus kicking as they hit. The 30" branch hit first, and snapped right away, without any kick.

I was also thinking that one or two of those cheap "security" cameras (lenses only) might be handy. They are compact with no moving parts, are relatively inexpensive. They woudl need a video wire leading down to a recorder at the base, which could maybe be a camera-? Then, you could strap put the lens (maybe in a 2x4 protective box) at about 20ft up the tree, looking up. Then, the viewer would not only have to figure out how the ground suddenly came rotating up into the picture, but there would also be a lateral acceleration forward in the drop. A bird's eye view of branches snapping all over the place.

BTW, put some bragging rights on my nephew's 021 when I cut the 8" holding strap with it. Felt kind of funny doing that ... the pull ripped about a 4x8" piece out of the backstrap when it finally went, so I guess I got away with it. kicka$$ little 021 that one!

hey Gypo, that pic reminds me of a guy around here. He cuts, splits, stacks, and sells firewood in his driveway, all while paralyzed waist down and in a wheelchair. You gotta appreciate that. It really makes you stop and think how lucky your are each day when you get out of bed, can see your shoes, and be able to put them on and walk away. Theres alot of folks who would love to have that ability back.

Cheers,
Ron

Hi Ron, you are so correct. Gord in the picture, who is also paralyzed from the waste down cannot lift anything without supporting himself with the other arm, however he drives, cycles, atv's, plays hockey and has ever fathered two children since falling on a skid of cement blocks. Although some days are rough for him, Gord has a very positive outlook on life. So we are all very fortunate indeed.
John

Here's the movie of the 020 I modified and the racing chain I built for it. I still believe the sprocket is a different pitch than the chain and bar,but maybe that's what makes it so fast! lol, Hahaha.
John

And to boot john had me on the phone the whole time he ported it with a round file. You made Cohoon proud. Let's see whon has the fasted Partner 5000 next weekend. :dizzy:

Gypo Logger said:
Here's the movie of the 020 I modified and the racing chain I built for it. I still believe the sprocket is a different pitch than the chain and bar,but maybe that's what makes it so fast! lol, Hahaha.
John

now THAT'S a fast 020!!!!!

What pitch is that chain? I am gonna guess 3/8 low pro.

020 Fastest?

OK Gypo, Popular is not one of the hardest to cut through. You are aware of this. It looks impressive but how about cutting something a bit more challenging? Possibly some Hard Maple, mabie some white Oak? Stay well, Ken

Here's another 020 I modified. I just piston ported it and raised the exhaust, opened the muffler a bit and put a thinner base gaket in.
It has a 12" bar and 1/4" chain, 13" basswood. I bought a 325 sprocket, bar and chain that will fit an 020, but it won't fit on this one.:cry:
John

Latest posts

Back