Who in the Hell..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all of you working the grave yard shift, the over night shift, or whatever you might call it, you have my respect.

I did so for 30+ yrs. As much as I hated it at times, there were times I looked forward to it. Different breed of people, both good and bad, out and about at that time of night or morning.

Trying to sleep during the day for any length of time was the worst though. My sleep usually was broken up into chunks. I'd sleep from about 8am or so, until 2-3 pm. I'd then get up, get some stuff done, then back to bed by about 6- 7pm or so and back up at 10pm to get ready for work.

I was sure that once I retired, my sleep habits or patterns would never again be normal. But, they turned out to be okay and kind of normal again. One thing about working those hours, you do learn how to go about being up that late and still being productive. More people than not, don't have any idea what it takes to stay up all night. And I'm not talking about partying all night either.

My adult know-it-all stepson had a job not that long ago that required him to work some over night shifts. He lasted about 2 weeks and that was it. :laughing:

For all of you working the grave yard shift, the over night shift, or whatever you might call it, you have my respect.

I did so for 30+ yrs. As much as I hated it at times, there were times I looked forward to it. Different breed of people, both good and bad, out and about at that time of night or morning.

Trying to sleep during the day for any length of time was the worst though. My sleep usually was broken up into chunks. I'd sleep from about 8am or so, until 2-3 pm. I'd then get up, get some stuff done, then back to bed by about 6- 7pm or so and back up at 10pm to get ready for work.

I was sure that once I retired, my sleep habits or patterns would never again be normal. But, they turned out to be okay and kind of normal again. One thing about working those hours, you do learn how to go about being up that late and still being productive. More people than not, don't have any idea what it takes to stay up all night. And I'm not talking about partying all night either.

My adult know-it-all stepson had a job not that long ago that required him to work some over night shifts. He lasted about 2 weeks and that was it. :laughing:
Well said. The night shift does suck but ya do what ya gotta do. I do the three shift rotation and always dread going in on sunday but after that not too bad. My sleep pattern is about exact same as yours. Always loked forward to fridays. Go home sleep till 11 then get up (have coffee) and go cut wood or work in shed on saws or something.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I used to fly a freight route that went from GRR to MDW (Grand Rapids, MI to Chicago). I did that at 7:30 am and got back around 10 am and then I was home during the day. Left again about 9pm for a 9:30 departure to the same place. Get back home about 1:30 am and go to sleep to start all over. Monday through Friday, 10 trips to Chicago. During the day, I operated a mobile repair service (vehicles and equipment). Funny thing is that some of the neighbors thought I didn't have a job as I was around a lot. My sleep was really fractured into an hour here and there and it wasn't until after I stopped doing that job that I realized how chronically fatigued I was.

I was up at 2:30 am this morning going to deliver fresh Italian bread to wholesale accounts for my friend . I would of loved to stay on here rather than to drive for 3 hours .

Most people have no idea what it takes to work all nite. I have worked swing shift for 30 years. Had just about enough. The older I get the harder it is. So hats off to all those working at this hour. Now get back to work.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Swing shift is pretty close to ideal hours for me. 3pm-11pm. Worked plenty of mid shift/1st shift too, 11pm-7am.

I didn't mind either. Hated 2nd shift/day shift.. 7am-3pm. Couldn't hardly get anything done, most days was spent dealing with "emergencies" from senior leadership and other bullcrap.

For a while I worked 11pm-7am one job, then 8am-2pm another. Each job was 5 days, but rarely did I get a day off from both at the same time.
The length of hours wasn't bad, but working all night and then most of the day was rough. Did a stretch of 7pm-7am, then 8am-2pm. It got so bad I would start halincinating at times.
The 2 jobs and home was maybe 10 miles and some days I wasn't sure I'd make it home safetly so I'd just sleep in the car.

Most days now I work from around 9am to 9-10pm, 7 days a week, sometimes 6 if I feel I can afford a day off.

I got home pretty early, hit the rack. All was fine till the DAMN dog decided to do hot laps around the house, through the bedrooms (doors stay cracked open for heat from the woodstove).
Woke everyone up.... clicka clicka clicka clicka... sounds like a whole team of shoed horses.

All cause he wanted outside, probably to go smell some 2 week lump of turd or who knows.

So now I'm wide awake, my back is killing me too. Considering duct taping said dog to my back for a heating pad.

When I talk swing shift, for us its 7 days of 3pm-11pm then 2 days off, then 7 days of 11pm-7am then 2 days off then 6 days of 7am-3pm then 4 days off. Repeat for 30 yrs. Come on retirement.:clap::clap::clap:

Never did that 2 job thing but worked a lot of OT in years past. As long as you don't count farming, cows and small dirt moving business.

Hey all you insomniacs and niteshifters, whats up tonite? Me I'm passin time looking for some short chainsaw chaps for my son. Hoping nothing breaks, not really in the mood to fix it.:surprised3::surprised3:

I'm lurking the trading post and had to Check in with the insomnia crew. I've been watching this thread for a few days waiting for the right time to check in. The time is now !!!

Back