Who is running .404 on what and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gearhead1

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
My McCulloch 1-76, 380A, and 7-10A all sport .404" chain. The first two saw because that's what was standard equipment on them when new, and I don't think a 3/8" sprocket was even made for them. The 7-10A runs .404" because I got a great deal on a bar/chain/sprocket combo for the saw when I need one. All my other saws run 3/8" chain.

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
My 084 runs the .404 pitch. I use 24", 36" & 60" bars on it. The 60" is full skip chain.
I've never thought the saw would cut any faster or better with 3/8 pitch, so I've never tried it.
The 404 does do a much better job on crosscutting than 3/8 does. More space in between the cutters for the "curly fries".

Ed

romeo

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
I run .404 x .063 on the bike saws, I also have a practice bar and chain that is .404 x .080. 3/8 will out cut .404, but there are strength issues with the bike saws.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that the one shop may stop stocking .404, it just does not sell enough. Sold only one new 32" .404 bar in a year. Chains that sell are the .325 and 3/8 which is no surprise. Lots of 16" to 24" bars in those pitches. Not many big saws with big bars in use around here and most people seem to want continuity among their saws. Convenience and practicality win. They are after all the main reason why most people own a chainsaw in the first place, that and ego.:D

I am happy it was not desperation and necessity, because then it would become both religious and political.

Frank Boyer

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Upon Futher Review

I just got a 084 that has 404. So far my 460 is out cutting it on 24 to 34 inch Tan Oak. I have reset the raker depth, contour and resharpened the chain. I used a Maxx grinder to sharpen the chain and set the rakers. It has a 25 inch bar and the chain is about ready for replacement.

I tried one of the other bars and chains that came with the 084 (it came with a 25", 2 ea. 36", a 41" with a crack in the bar, and a 51") and I can not believe how well it cuts. I tried a 36" bar with non skip chain. I hope that I can get the rest of the chains to cut this well. When I bought it, all of the chains were extremely dull. The rakers were set to high and had never been recontoured.

Latest posts