Who lives in MN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Yooper can truly understand a Ranger, Most would say we sound alike and speak the same language even (which is different than anyone else in this country). People in other states can tell within 3 words where we're from and whether we are scandanavian or italian, Both of which are seem to outnumber the other nationalities in my neck of the woods.

I agree! yooper dialect is much like what I think ya all call "rayncher speak"(I may be wrong that might be north Dakota dialect) You over there are a great bunch of people, been a while since I been to the Iron Range, I have had some friends from the area when I lived In Minneapolis 20 years ago we usta go there to "party" all the time in Chisholm(sp?) I do also have relatives there and throughout Norther MN. One thing I always will never forget about the Range area was the way people treated you! was just like going home.

I know a lot of people in Chisholm and I can tell you the parties are a lot different than in the City. In the City everyone goes to the party with a 6pack and thats it, ON the Range everyone brings a case and a case might not be enough so they usually have a bottle just as a backup and to make sure the party goes well, and they are usually in the woods rather than in a house

I grew up in Chisholm, but moved out to western, MN (Detroit Lakes area) about 10 years ago. "Da Range" is extremely unique to say the least ;). I've heard from a couple people that per capita, the most alcohol is consumed on the iron range, and I believe it lol.

our county sells more alcohol per capita than any other state in the country I hear. Really doenst suprise me cause if you drive through any town you will see at least one bar and a church. I went through one small town population of 700 and counted 14 places that serve alcohol on the main street.

I ride with a motorcycle club that has a chapter on the Range. Some of our parties over the last 20+ years have been legendary. 2-3 day affairs that are always a good time.

My wife won tickets, missed a trap shoot to go.

Bummer! I shoot quite a bit of trap, but only about a 21 1/2 average, Browning XT trap, 32"w/ Briley chokes, kinda like chainsaws, even the nicest gun only shoots as good as the operator!

Went to the U

I lived in Mpls and went to the U of M, but I came from Iowa. I went to the boundry waters in the mid 60's when I was about 14, and fell in love with the place. I have been back often, and hope to make it again this year. Back in the day there was an article in Time magazine I believe that said some companies hated to send people to MN because if they were transferred someplace else they would quit so they could stay in MN. I love living in Iowa, but I also love MN, if not the most diverse state in the union, it is sure as hell close to the top. Beautiful scenery, wonderful people, and politically progressive. To bad that they can't figure out how to elect a senator. None of the above would have been a great vote there, but alas I digress. If it was good enough for Paul Bunyon it is good enough for me. JR

I grew up in Chisholm, but moved out to western, MN (Detroit Lakes area) about 10 years ago. "Da Range" is extremely unique to say the least ;). I've heard from a couple people that per capita, the most alcohol is consumed on the iron range, and I believe it lol.

So does that make you deranged?

Hermantown

I figured that would get a reaction. I meant before it was overbuilt and commercialized. I lived there in the late 60's when a kid and there was nothing around Miller Hill but the Target Store and a trailer court.

I am from Indiana but I lived in Side Lake for a summer and fall while I looked for work in the Hibbing area back in 1982. Bought my Jonsereds 49 at the Sturgeon Garage in Angora. I have been away a long time. I think I hear Mn. calling me.

Damfino,
Looking for work in N. Minnesota in 1982 was pretty tough so don't feel bad that you didn't find anything. Also, that was about the time that the mines were shutting down pretty heavily, so it was even worse than most other places. I know because I was looking too.
Been to both Side Lake and Angora and lots of other places up there. I worked delivering snack foods all over N. Minnesota and there are very few places that I have not seen or roads that I have not traveled (whether lost of not!).

Damfino,
Looking for work in N. Minnesota in 1982 was pretty tough so don't feel bad that you didn't find anything. Also, that was about the time that the mines were shutting down pretty heavily, so it was even worse than most other places. I know because I was looking too.
Been to both Side Lake and Angora and lots of other places up there. I worked delivering snack foods all over N. Minnesota and there are very few places that I have not seen or roads that I have not traveled (whether lost of not!).

Looking for work up here is getting pretty tuff again. All the mines are shutting down for the summer and almost everyone has been laid off except a few lucky millrights who got kept on for maintenance.

Latest posts

Back