Who lives in MN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get there often enough, but I grew up in Itasca county 30 miles north of Grand Rapids near a little town called Marcell.:D

1971-1980 Horseshoe Lake Resident. Small world. :) Snowshoe Inn hamburgers.......drool.... The good old days.

I wound up back in the pine trees in 2001 and now live north of Bermidj.

Last edited:
Born in Bemidji and Raised in Northome, MN

I'm originally from a little town called Northome, MN. I have been in Ohio the last 5 years. Would love to get back up there but not a whole lot of work up there anymore.

1971-1980 Horseshoe Lake Resident. Small world. :) Snowshoe Inn hamburgers.......drool.... The good old days.

I wound up back in the pine trees in 2001 and now live north of Bermidj.

how far north of Bemidji? I've got 37 acres in the Shotley/Saum area that I try to get to at least monthly.

how far north of Bemidji? I've got 37 acres in the Shotley/Saum area that I try to get to at least monthly.[/QUOTE

Thats cool! Do you do any deer hunting or fishing up there? I use to spear suckers in the Shotley Brook growing up. My parents still live in that area and also have a lake lot on Red Lake not far from Rogers Resort.

I don't qualify for this thread, but I spent a few summers on a relative's farm near Stuart, Mn. My dad went to help the Olesen family, doing field work, carpentry and masonry things. I was just young then, but I was proud as can be when they let me drive the old John Deer tractor during haying time.

We went to several Twins vs Tigers games in 67 and 68. Jim Kaat, Harmon Killebrew, Denny McLain, Al Kaline,,,,,and all the others. I even got Hubert Humphrey's autograph at the game when he was running for President! Life was very good then!!!!

Bob

Last edited:
Grew up in Marine on St. Croix, then Stacy, then St. Paul, Duluth, finally 2008 moved North to AK. Still have many friends in Duluth, and family in Stillwater and Woodbury.

Grew up in Marine on St. Croix, then Stacy, then St. Paul, Duluth, finally 2008 moved North to AK. Still have many friends in Duluth, and family in Stillwater and Woodbury.

I had a room mate last year from Marine on St Croix up here in Duluth and I have family that lived in stillwater. I live on the Iron Range when I'm not in Duluth for school

I had a room mate last year from Marine on St Croix up here in Duluth and I have family that lived in stillwater. I live on the Iron Range when I'm not in Duluth for school
Small world! I miss fishing the mine pit by Giant's Ridge up in your neck of the woods. I do come back every November for a month of deer hunting off the end of Jean Duluth rd, and I like the Proctor and Duluth city archery hunts.

Born and raised Bemidji boy, home of paul and babe! Out in colorado for the past couple yrs, but workin on getting back to gods country. Gettn soft out here. Elk sure are tasty though!

We've got a family cabin on Lake Beltrami (since 1983) and get back there often. I'm writing this from that cabin right now. And I lived at 10,000 feet near Cripple Creek and worked for a gold mine and dined on elk, brook trout and mule deer a bunch of years ago.

How does a guy get soft out in Colorado? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

We've got a family cabin on Lake Beltrami (since 1983) and get back there often. I'm writing this from that cabin right now. And I lived at 10,000 feet near Cripple Creek and worked for a gold mine and dined on elk, brook trout and mule deer a bunch of years ago.

How does a guy get soft out in Colorado? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice, im in the springs, and have been up around cripple creek many times. its beautiful up there. I head up the pass on the weekends to fish and hunt, and to get out of the city. a buddy of mine has a cabin off of teller 1, a couple miles from cripple creek. (low humidity, no bugs, mild winters, thats how a minnesotan gets soft! But i know its a different story at 10,000 ft);)

Nice, im in the springs, and have been up around cripple creek many times. its beautiful up there. I head up the pass on the weekends to fish and hunt, and to get out of the city. a buddy of mine has a cabin off of teller 1, a couple miles from cripple creek. (low humidity, no bugs, mild winters, thats how a minnesotan gets soft! But i know its a different story at 10,000 ft);)

The only way to get soft in Colorado is by cutting that punky soft wood. :D :D

I lived in Victor and had a sister-in-law in Goldfield. I hear tell the gambling has changed the whole face of Cripple Creek-Victor-Goldfield. Pity. It was a very cool place in the late '80s. Most small town folk in the Midwest will help anyone at the drop of any hat, but they think they have the right to know your business. Up there, everyone helped everyone else, and they never stuck their nose farther in than they needed to. The stories I could tell about sending Texas tourons down the Shelf Road or Phantom Canyon Pass . . . . ;)

Last edited:
how far north of Bemidji? I've got 37 acres in the Shotley/Saum area that I try to get to at least monthly.

Thats cool! Do you do any deer hunting or fishing up there? I use to spear suckers in the Shotley Brook growing up. My parents still live in that area and also have a lake lot on Red Lake not far from Rogers Resort.

I hunt deer and grouse up there, and in the winter I do some icefishing on Red Lake.

I was in contact with a former colleague in Duluth who works for Mn/DOT. I asked him about this job and he was unaware of any proposed work on that stretch of highway. However, these things change often.

That being said, I would be very surprised if Mn/DOT did not own that highway outright. In my experience, they just will not build a highway if they cannot get clear title to the land. I know of some special circumstances where Mn/DOT doesn't own the right of way, but it is rare. My friend suggested that if the highway does need to be relocated, the state may split the costs with the mines and that way everybody will be happy. And remember, the state has condemnation authority so they can take the land and pay fair market value for what is there. They have no reason to make a deal that would end up costing them money in the future.

There was an agreement made between U.S. Steel and the State that dates back to 1960. I don't know all of the dirty little details but it's been all over the news the last couple of weeks. Cliffs has that land now but it appears that the State is sticking with the deal they made in 1960 and will foot the bill to move hwy. 53. The move won't be for another 7 years so they have plenty of time to fight over it, Should be entertaining.

Princeton, here.

But have lived all over Central MN. Anoka area, St Francis, and Nowthen area. But the most enjoyable area I lived in was the Iron Range area. Lived in Britt, moved to Gilbert. That was when mining was booming in the mid to late70's. was a heavy equipment operator working on the expansion at MinTac. The locals were not at all impressed with us "612'ers" back then! lol That has changed now though. Went from there up to Int. Falls to work on the paper plant for a couple years. Lived in So. Int. Falls, right behind the strip club! lol Both areas were great for the fishing!
Been back in Princeton since then. have a cabin in the Remer area, friend with a log cabin that sleeps 13 in Isabella, spend lots of time there 4 wheelin, fishing and sledding. Golf in Walker area every August. We have a 3 day tournament there, golfing at Tianna, second day at Long Bow and 3rd day down at Blueberry Pines on way home. Walker's another good area with lots of friendlies!

Back