Who loves a 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lux

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I think I have it right. I found a 441 with 2 rollomatic bars he says 24 and 27 in with 2 spare chains? About 15 miles away. I haven't seen it yet but he said he went to Ace and bought the biggest saw they had used it on 4 or 5 trees.

Is $600 smart or should I do it?

I just bought a new ms441c m tronic version about a week ago. I had a hard time deciding what's saw was best for me, and it came down to the deal I got at the end but couldn't be happier. I paid $625 brand new with no bar or chain.

The anti vibration system is awesome, on the softer side but keeps fatigue down. The power is adequate. The 460 has a better power to weight ration but I never plan on running a large bar and mostly will run a 20" bar.

If the deal is right, my vote is go for it. Lots of nice saws out there in he world from stihl and other brands, sometimes availability of parts/service becomes the trump card as it was in my case.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jason. Parts and service aren't usually a big deal for me. I just order online and fix it muhself.

Hi Brad, your reputation precedes you. I'm not sure about the c. What are the pros and cons of a c vs. non?

Sounds like a deal to me although I've only seen 25 and 28 in Stihl bars where I bought my 441. I paid 949 plus tax.
Yeah, he lived in a pretty affluent area so I don't think he spent a lot of time with it. He said it was a 442 and I was puzzled by the bar size as well. He is in the process of moving cross country so it took 3 days for him to reply. I'm supposed to go look at it this week.

In stock configuration, I found a MS441C considerably stronger than a new MS440.
I don't have the C model, so I am comparing the 440 with the non MTronic 441 . The 441 needs to be on the pipe whereas the 440 can pull well at various rpms.

The 441 doesn't have the tendency to "walk" like the 440 does...much much smoother

I love the 441 I have and i pull a 36" and a 20". I grab it when I am not in the mood to mess around lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not a stihl historian, but the ms441 was met with Luke warm reviews in my OPINION for 2 main reasons because it was so new and had a few early issues, had so many changes to the long standing and respected 440/044 chassis and chainsaw guys are old school by nature. The second downfall is that the ms441 is nearly identical weight to the more powerful and traditional ms460. So the ms460 had a better power to weight ratio and the old tried and true chassis that many were used to and respected.

For those that give m tronic a chance it really does bring a lot to the table. As Brad stated above the C is MS441C designates m tronic on this models and the absence of the carb adjustment screws is the other giveaway.

The ms441 is currently not available for dealers, there are some that still have old stock. Parts are still readily available and there is carryover from other chassis such as the ms362c in parts compatibility. Why it is not available currently is anyone's guess at this point, will it be introduced in a lighter gen 2 like we've seen with the ms261c gen 2s???? Will it be discontinued all together because it's a bridge between a 362 and 460???? Don't want to speculate or destroy your thread with conspiracy theories, but know this, the ms441 size and power makes it a versatile saw, and it is loaded with some of the most advanced features stihl has to offer. And many of us that own one, wouldn't trade for another model, we are happy with our pourage is just right ms441.

Lots of opinions in this post so please take it as just that. I'm middle of the road experience wise around here and have time on ms440, ms660, ms661 and now my ms441c and to me I couldn't be happier.

If the saw is in good shape and better yet of its m tronic it sounds like a good setup that will serve you well

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like mine
f65d8e25aabfd5fc551cf337c68b3719.jpg

Why did stihl pull them from production. I've never read any issues that they had?

I don't have much experience with saws, but I bought a used 441 non m-tronic from a member here and I like it. I only have a McCulloch 650 and Stihl 251 c-be to compare to, though. The 441 weighs about the same as the 650 yet is much more powerful.
I recently switched to an 8 pin with a 20" bar and full chisel now that I've gotten decent at hand filing, and it seems to cut great. I also run a 7 pin with a 25" bar for my homemade Alaskan sawmill I built a few weeks ago. It's about all the saw wants to handle, but works well enough for me. Great on gas compared to the 650.

I'd love to find an m-tronic to compare to, but I fear I'll just want it permanently.

I've also run friends' 075 and 084. While they're beasts compared to the 441, I'll gladly keep what I have. There's not enough big trees where I'm at in Indiana to justify those huge saws (even for milling) as I'd lose the dual purpose role of the 441. I can fell a tree and limb and buck it without feeling like I'm carrying a 50 pound bag of feed around.

And to tag onto the discussion further, does anybody have a link for muffler mods on the non m-tronic version 441? Searching is hard to find anything relevant and sort out the fancy "C" model.

And to tag onto the discussion further, does anybody have a link for muffler mods on the non m-tronic version 441? Searching is hard to find anything relevant and sort out the fancy "C" model.
Yeah! Whatever I get will get tinkered! I'm a big fan of sleepers.

Back