Who makes the best Lineman pliers and Diagonal cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
I am wondering who folks think makes the best large lineman and diagonal cutters. I have had a lot of brands over the years and never found one I truly liked.

Well I was surprised by the poorer performance of the Knipex in the first test. I need them for cutting heavy wire and need to last.

I noticed that someone who does not know the limitations of their pliers or wire cutters can easily ruin most any GOOD NAME brand easy and fast.

I've got linesman pliers and wire cutters that I have had for years.
I know my electrical tools l limitations and select proper tools for cutting wires and cables..
I do not loan or let anyone else use my tools.
I'm a old electrician and electronics tech.

I have had this set of pliers: Klein D213-9ST for about 28 years now. I use them for tying rebar and wiring homes. I just looked on the website and they sell these as "Iron Worker's Pliers" and not Lineman's. Well, I have been using them for both. Cutters are still perfect, spring return still works, no wobble in the rivet, etc. I have used them very hard but I don't abuse them. Made in the USA. Not sure if the new ones are.
If you are cutting a lot of heavy wire you might want something more like these Cable Cutters

I have had this set of pliers: Klein D213-9ST for about 28 years now. I use them for tying rebar and wiring homes. I just looked on the website and they sell these as "Iron Worker's Pliers" and not Lineman's. Well, I have been using them for both. Cutters are still perfect, spring return still works, no wobble in the rivet, etc. I have used them very hard but I don't abuse them. Made in the USA. Not sure if the new ones are.
If you are cutting a lot of heavy wire you might want something more like these Cable Cutters
Had the same at work,,, really liked them,, seemed to hold up well,, telephone lineman,,

I not sure how well cable cutters would cut steel wire. They are designed like a bypass lopper I believe.

When I started my inside wireman apprenticeship i 1971 I bought Sears Craftsman linemans pliers and diagonal cutters. I was having a hard time cutting larger wire and my journeyman let me use his Klein tools. The next payday I bought 9 inch D213-9NE linemans pliers and D2000-48 diagonal pliers. I retired in 2016 and I still use those tools. Klein is the industry standard for a reason.

My pair of Kleins is over 40 years old and only has one small "live wire" notch, um wire stripper modification ;^) in them.
I don't "cut" steel wire, I nick and bend/break it. A cheap pair of pliers with a side notch handles this easily. If I have lot of steel wire to cut I get out the bolt cutters.
This Ideal crimper is my goto for adding terminations to wires.
1712072431073.png

9"Klien Lineman pliers and their 9"obleak diagonal pliers... When new the lineman pliers one can cut 1/4 x 20 threaded rod (all thread) with no problem to the cutter. Electrician for 38 years in the trade and retired for 23 years and I still use these almost every day for. One cannot go wrong with these..just my 2 cents.

I need to consistently cut 9 gauge steel wire 0.148" I am not sure if I want dykes or lineman pliers

I need to consistently cut 9 gauge steel wire 0.148" I am not sure if I want dykes or lineman pliers
If you’re going to be cutting a lot of 9g wire, what about a pair of mini bolt cutters or cable cutters? Knipex makes an 8” mini bolt cutter, and ChannelLock has aviation cutters that cut cable, spring hardened wire and mild steel rod. Just a couple examples.
https://shop.channellock.com/produc...N4AYxZXBofmAoOnwoX_8VFeYWCQbveERoC50oQAvD_BwE
https://www.knipex.com/products/cut...rs/knipex-cobolt-compact-bolt-cutters/7101200

L8R,
Matt

Back