Who makes the longest lasting/best quality bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those writing disparaging remarks regarding used motor oil as bar oil. I am curious as to how many have actually used it and found it resulted in issues? Disclaimer: I do not utilize used motor oil in any of my chainsaws and I do not recommend it.

That said, I have cut a lot of wood using used motor oil as the bar lubricant and to be honest never encountered any negative results from using it. ie, never had an oil pump go bad, never had a bar wear out prematurely and it certainly didn't impact the chain sharpness.

The primary reason I don't use it now is that it is known to the state of California that used motor oil is bad bad bad. Thus I don't want to be breathing in the mist generated by a chain swirling around and slinging it off. It's also messy and most importantly, it may offend some of the tree huggers. Not only that but I save all my used oil to use as mosquito control on a small lake nearby.

yea, I tried it about 30 yrs ago in a Homelite 360 and plugged up my oiler. Now I drain the oil from my F-250 and put it in my '91 F-150 where I think it also becomes mosquito control

For those writing disparaging remarks regarding used motor oil as bar oil. I am curious as to how many have actually used it and found it resulted in issues. Disclaimer: I do not utilize used motor oil in any of my chainsaws and I do not recommend it.

That said, I have cut a lot of wood using used motor oil as the bar lubricant and to be honest never encountered any negative results from using it. ie, never had an oil pump go bad, never had a bar wear out prematurely and it certainly didn't impact the chain sharpness.

The primary reason I don't use it now is that it is known to the state of California that used motor oil is bad bad bad. Thus I don't want to be breathing in the mist generated by a chain swirling around and slinging it off. It's also messy and most importantly, it may offend some of the tree huggers. Not only that but I save all my used oil to use as mosquito control on a small lake nearby.

I have in a pinch.

My brother does too!

I gave him a sweet little 120 Sachs Dolmar, find out the cheapskate is using his used oil from his truck!

He justifies it by sayin' (It's Mobil 1)

Used oyl makes a filthy mess!

I should re-posses that saw! The **** is he make well over 6 figures!

075.JPG

Husqvarna's tec lite bars are very rigid and durable. I've abused mine to see what they will take and haven't hurt it yet, well worth the $100 price tag. And I've used new and used motor oil a lot with no negative effects to the saw, bar, or chain. Also, motor oil is all my dad has used for 30+ years and no negative effects for him either. Never tried maple syrup lol

Well, like I posted, I don't currently use drain oil and am not recommending it. But I think that many of those that disparage it don't have any actual experience using it. I have also used just plain "new" motor oil and have had satisfactory results with that too.

Regarding which bars last the longest, I have never done any side to side comparisons, so for the most part it's just an opinion but I have found the Stihl bars to be durable beyond my expectations. On the other hand, I have seen little used bars on some of the cheap Mac and Homelite saws exhibit abnormal bar wear (especially near the tips) and would consider those to be pretty crappy. I have a 30" rebranded GB bar I use on a variety of Stihl saws but don't really have all that many hours on it. It seems to be holding up fine though.

Bar oil, not mix oil, but I'm pretty sure we could do a little work and go that direction too. You do have to admit that bar oil and bar longevity are related subjects, eh?
Oil's oil, at least when threads "go oil" and the descent into madness ensues.
BTW, stihl bar oil is so good, as long as you're running stihl chain on a stihl saw, you don't even need a bar.

Oil's oil, at least when threads "go oil" and the descent into madness ensues.
BTW, stihl bar oil is so good, as long as you're running stihl chain on a stihl saw, you don't even need a bar.

Is that you Howie?

I’ve used Poulan, Stihl, something from Wal- Mart called Environment safe G-oil bio degradable bar oil, vegetable cooking oil (don’t ask), and unused motor oil without any bad results. Used motor oil feels gritty and not as thick so I would worry about added wear and tear, as well as black spots on my hands and cloths, can’t get those $500.00 designer chaps dirty you know.

I've only had one Stihl ES bar have problems in all the years we've been running saws, the sprocket literally fell out of the bar. It has been on a MS 361 since it was new and has prolly cut well over 700 cord of wood. A lifetime's worth for most people. I find the bar is usually the most neglected part of a saw, most people seldom if ever dress the bar rails.
We only run store bought bar oil, none of my saws will ever have used motor oil run thru them. My late father did that with his little Homelite EZ and Homelite 925, I cut alot of firewood with both, the oilers never failed but it was messy as he77 and I don't think it lubricated the bar as near as well as bar oil.
Stihl bars for me, only will use Oregon on non Stihl saws.

Sugihara bars. Better than most standard, solid with least friction and I always seem to get a good price.
Oregon oil. For some reason my local place often has it on sale. £30 for 25L can’t go wrong. Plus seemed no different to the double priced Husqvarna oil that I used to buy.

Back