Who makes the MOST Efficient OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
owb

check out empyre out door stoves, they are manufactured in canada the North American destribrutor is located in WI i love mine would never go back to oil as a primary source of heat

How many cords of wood are you guys burning to heat a house? Just tell me what state you are in and how big of house and how good its insulated, and it'll be an estimate anyway.

10-12 cord. 1300sf house and hot water. 30x32 shop heated when needed.

try looking at "http://www.ka-lesdistributing.com/" it is a gasification stove:givebeer:

I saw that stove at the Ohio Power Show. Looked good. So many people around I could not talk to the guy. It bolted togeather so you could replace parts of it if needed. Had a big door also.

Well, I dunno about there being no info on the Central Boiler(CB) site... unless you are referring to the new EPA certified boiler that they are working on. They have tons of stuff on their models, designs, in-home heating and retrofitting, etc. on their web site: www.centralboiler.com

Sorry they have no info on the gas/EPA stove on there site. After seeing all the new OWB that have come out, I still like my CB 4436. :rock:

What ever you get make sure you use spray foam insulation in your entire new home. To reduce the cost of your basement foundation and increase your R value use the rigid foam insulation foundation forms. It will cost you a little more to start with but it will save you allot of labor and significantly increase your R rating. I am not sure if the government is still providing energy star credits but thats a good goal to work towards it will cost you more in the beginning but it will pay for it's self in the end.

Definately doing the insulated forms, and over-insulating. Not sure if it'll be spray foam, because some of them are rediculous as far as pricing.

boiler

Love my heatmor but i wouldnt call any OWB high efficient. There are some next gen of products coming out now but they have there own new problems. Heatmor has a blader to stop water loss and firebrick to support better temp. I'm not a heatmor dealer I just did a lot of study before making my choice.

Mark

Last edited:
OK, now that I'm learning more about these boilers, I have decided on a gasification type unit. I'm all about the efficiency.
Any tips on these models?

Thanks again, this info is great. I hate dealers, they all lie! :D

Gasification Units

I made a list when I was in the market for one. However, the list is gone!

I do remember that Tarm was on the top of my list, but they were not cheap. I really like mine (EkoLine 60), but the instructions are/were not the best and I made several calls for more info.

Last year, Tarm did have a sale at the end of the heating year. Don't remember the exact cost savings, but probably on the $1k - $1.5k range.

I think as time goes on, you will see more people move to the gasification units, especially if the EPA or other government agencies start to get involved.

Currently, my unit is in the garage which is good and bad. The unit is rather clean until you have to clean out the ashes. The ashes are very fine and there is no good way to get them out cleanly. I do plan on putting the unit out in my pole shed after I put in a concrete floor (heated).

Where are you in Northern WI? I grew up in Eagle River and am now in MN.

Bryan

owb

OK, now that I'm learning more about these boilers, I have decided on a gasification type unit. I'm all about the efficiency.

the folks at sequoyah outdoor boiler will not lie to you and are very helpfull,
please look at the lil albert, big albert, and boss man boilers, they are fully lined with firebrick to aid in combustion and the fire brick protects the boiler and stores the heat to keep the firebox hot all the time while burning and it has a fan forced draft-they are very helpfull and take the time to talk to you and answer all your questions..

the lil albert, big albert, and boss man are non pressurised boilers and need a heat exchanger in the home or shop etc.

the manualsfor the boilers are on their web site too with good pictures.

their web site is www.wdheat.com and they answer their phones.

Last edited:
I'll look thru their info tonight.
Thanks for the suggestions. :blob2:

Supposed to be one of the best wood gassifiers out there:

http://www.greenwoodfurnace.com/

But I know people that wish they had bought an OWB like we have instead.

Why would they rather have a OWB? just looking for ideas, not looking for a flame war. Thanks

Well, we have had some interesting flame wars on AS (and over on MEN and hearth) regarding brands of OWBs, indoor stoves vs. OWBs, and SS vs carbon steel, grates, fans vs. convection, OWB vs wood gassifiers, etc., etc.

The guy I know had problems with the bricks in the Greenwood(GW) unit. They cracked on him, and that led to other problems, and issues with GW. Supposedly they have something like a ton of refractory brick in them, and typically crack. If you call them, they send you some type of crack seal or something that is pretty useless. He was not a happy camper.

Here is a guy on another site complaing anout his GW boiler. Lots of discussoon on their flaws, etc. I would look around and dig deep before buying any OWB or indoor type boiler. The guys responding to his post all say to put the GW units OUTSIDE! (cough). Smokes up the inside of his shop.

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10679/P0/

New constuction

Its probably a bit late for you to design your house around a masonary heater, but one of my friends did a couple years ago. They have a straw bale house with concrete slab foundation and floor and a passive solar design. They burn about 2 cords a year.
Usually they do a burn once every 2 days depending on the temperature outside and how sunny it is. With full sunny days they don't have to have a fire at all even at 30-40F.

How much are these gasification units? If a standard OWB runs 8-10k installed how much are one of the high efficiency ones, 15k?

Back