Who owns a Gransfors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious to how you like it and if it's worth it. I enjoy splitting by hand and have always wanted one, kinda like a bamboo fly rod.

Perfect analogy. I enjoy my Gransfors just as much as my refurbished axes. Off the line they're more refined than a wetterlings. Better edge, hung properly, nice haft grain.. I think gransfors offers us the opportunity to own finely handcrafted tools much like our grandfathers and earlier had at their disposal. As for if its worth it, you answered that already. You always wanted one so you bought one. I think you'll like it. The haft is treated already so that should last you a season. I treat mine with a BLO and beeswax paste I make.

Aren't you supposed to ask these questions before you put the money down?

And take this advice for what it's worth, but don't waste the coin on a bamboo rod. They don't split wood worth a damn.
Already heard good stuff on them and knew I wanted one, just looking for pros and cons. Actually I liked RJ's post about care for it.

Perfect analogy. I enjoy my Gransfors just as much as my refurbished axes. Off the line they're more refined than a wetterlings. Better edge, hung properly, nice haft grain.. I think gransfors offers us the opportunity to own finely handcrafted tools much like our grandfathers and earlier had at their disposal. As for if its worth it, you answered that already. You always wanted one so you bought one. I think you'll like it. The haft is treated already so that should last you a season. I treat mine with a BLO and beeswax paste I make.
Thanks, and by haft you mean handle I'm thinking and what's BLO and how do you treat it.

Yes haft/handle. Boiled Linseed Oil. I get raw wax from a local honey farm. Melt it then strain it with cheesecloth. Add turpentine and BLO. Let it harden.

If the haft is really dry I'll add several light coats of BLO then warm up haft lightly with blow dryer or heat gun and rub the beeswax treatment into it. Let it sit a day then buff off the excess until the handle is tacky to your liking.

(Starting point recipe)
1 pound of beeswax melted in a metal can. I use a new paint can.
8oz BLO
8oz turpentine
Stir thoroughly
Some prefer a 1:1:1 ratio

You can replace BLO with tung oil too. BLO penetrates wood deeper so tung oil would be best suited as the top coat per se. Tung is also a little more tackier by itself than BLO. But the wax treatment is what I prefer.

Already heard good stuff on them and knew I wanted one, just looking for pros and cons. Actually I liked RJ's post about care for it.

You're not going to like it...you actually have to swing that thing. It could be considered work...get my drift;)

Hey, are you still pulling your hydro splitter around with your lawn mower?

Ooh goody, finally a real thread to follow.

I like the look of these-head shaped similarly to a Fiskars but with more weight to bust up the heavy and nasty stuff.

What other splitting tools do you own? We are going to be looking for shootout results once you have some time with this one.

Ooh goody, finally a real thread to follow.

I like the look of these-head shaped similarly to a Fiskars but with more weight to bust up the heavy and nasty stuff.

What other splitting tools do you own? We are going to be looking for shootout results once you have some time with this one.

I'd like to see a good review on this one as well. I don't really want to spend that kind of money to replace something that works great already, but... it's pretty. :)

I'd like to see a good review on this one as well. I don't really want to spend that kind of money to replace something that works great already, but... it's pretty. :)

Really you'd buy one to enjoy the craftsmanship. Much like people who own $300+ slip joint pocket knives...

Back