"Who taught you how to cut" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
I will start. My Grandmother taught me to cut when I was about 10. My family used to cut pulp wood. I started with a hatchet on small trees and when I was good with a hatchet I got to move up to the double-bit axe and full size trees. Once I had felled a couple dozen trees properly I was allowed to use the electric saw to buck firewood. After a year of electric I went straight to the 031AV and became the dedicated feller. I have been cutting wood ever since. I am now 22 and am teaching my wife how to cut. I told her that she needs to learn how to cut in case something happens to me and she needs to save me or if I can't cut anymore. I think she likes to help me and watch me cut. My son (just turned 3) likes to watch also and ALWAYS gets excited when it is time to cut wood.

Your turn....:popcorn:
EDIT: my grandmother also taught me not to use a saw unless I had time to clean it.

Last edited:
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Well if you are only 22 and have learned to cut with an axe first then you have come up through the ranks much as I did back in the early 60`s. There were a lot of real axe men around the woods when I was following my dad and his brothers when they were laying down the forest. They would grab their best double bit and could lay a 24-30 " over without stopping to catch their breath.They were expert fallers and revelled in showing us young fellers how accurately they could fall a tree and hit a designated spot. They would have contests where a stake would be driven part way into the ground and then a faller would drop a tree with the intent of hitting that stake. Seen that stake hit dead on many, many times by my dad and or his brothers.
Pioneerguy600

willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've swung an axe a fair bit although it was more for fun than to get anything done. For all the #### my dad is great at a chainsaw is one of the few things he never really mastered much- it used to be a Sears-Craftsman until the warranty expired and it broke every 2 or so years so there was a shed full of cheap broken saws for awhile. :cry:
Thankfully now I have a good running 254, 044 and my 2095 has been running so the firewood situation has much improved in the last year. Getting my Foley Belsaw 308 with a cbn has put me to a whole nother level...

olyman
sawed trees since about age 16--seen a guy do it--looked good to me.got married,kids,oil furnace worked....but was breaking me. got a riteway,built a splitter,got a new oly 254,and went to town, the charts i got when i became a dealer,,showed how to cut a tree,then i read books for more info,but--still cut a lot like the way i did by watching that one guy--dropped many more since!!!!!

Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

Soren Eriksson certified in 1995!
But have much to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS he didn't like my lefty(ism)!!!!!!!!!!
EUROPEANS! LOL

Saw Dr.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
I kind of figured it out. But I have asked a lot of questions ................... But a lot of it was surviving doing dumb things.

Pretty much my story. Got hired as a care-taker of a 100 acre gentlemans horse farm while still in high school. I kept the grounds looking nice, and the horse trails in good order. You learn not to pinch the bar when you're 3/4 mile into the woods with only the saw. Never smashed a powerhead, but I did figure out about taking the bar off BEFORE you cut out the stuck saw.

Then there was the first time I "felled" one that got hung up. Good times. :dizzy:

Sometimes they wanted logs to make horse jumps, etc out of. Then I had to find decent trees, and make sure they were felled so I could recover them in good condition.

The owner had $, so I just replaced chains back then. I wish now I still had all of those chains I tossed :cry:

bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
My father we heated the old farm w/ wood. Sure was a great day when I graduated from hauling brush and loading the truck to getting to do some cutting. First saw ran was a Partner 65.

oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Dad got me started, but he kind of scares me every now and then. but I really have to think about tipping a tree anymore, used to be more second nature, just don't do enough anymore.

Now Dad asks me the questions, but I don't mind at all.

cat 793

cat 793

ArboristSite Member
grandfather,uncle and old man spent every school holiday out watching them
and stacking timber for the grandfather. started running the saw when i was 14 and started full time when i was 16 cutting and running the skidder, done about 7 months then had to get a new job as the timber industry wasnt doing to good. wish i was still doing it!

gallegosmike

gallegosmike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Land of loose NUTS, Really Big FLAKES, and Fruity
I learned from my father. He grew up with a double bit axe in his hands. My family has been ranching and farming in the southwest before the USA even existed. He started using a chainsaw back in the late 50's. It was a sears branded david bradley saw. He used it into the early 60's. He joined the navy and did not own a saw till the mid 80's. He still has that old mac silver eagle saw.

Not many big trees for me to fell, mostly scrub trees for firewood. So not much technical felling for me to do. No point in doing a felling notch on a 6" to 12" diameter tree that are 30' to 40' at best. Pinon trees have a ton of limbs to delimb!

Latest posts