"Who taught you how to cut" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a 40 hour class, and I know everything.

I had similar training like Gologit, a decade or so later. I was hired by one of my Grandad's buddies, my illustrious title was "second sawyer". I packed the gear, cleared the sites, bucked what he felled, was allowed to fall only what he said to. Everything I did was watched closely, enforced by thrown rocks and terse words. There was little room for error, being an inch off while bucking a large OG Redwood, meant big bucks lost. I have a clear picture in my mind, of old Ray, sitting on a fresh stump, smoking a bad cigar, a handfull of rocks at the ready.

I had similar training like Gologit, a decade or so later. I was hired by one of my Grandad's buddies, my illustrious title was "second sawyer". I packed the gear, cleared the sites, bucked what he felled, was allowed to fall only what he said to. Everything I did was watched closely, enforced by thrown rocks and terse words. There was little room for error, being an inch off while bucking a large OG Redwood, meant big bucks lost. I have a clear picture in my mind, of old Ray, sitting on a fresh stump, smoking a bad cigar, a handfull of rocks at the ready.

:ices_rofl: Your mentor threw rocks at you too, eh? My uncle did that. The first time it happened I asked him why and he said "What you're doing is so damn dangerous I didn't want to get too close". He then proceeded to correct me and show me the way it was supposed to be done.

One thing about those old guys...you learned, or you left.

:ices_rofl: Your mentor threw rocks at you too, eh? My uncle did that. The first time it happened I asked him why and he said "What you're doing is so damn dangerous I didn't want to get too close". He then proceeded to correct me and show me the way it was supposed to be done.

One thing about those old guys...you learned, or you left.

LOL, yep and the fact it was noisy. Ray could hit me in the tinhat 7 times out of 10.

Latest posts

Back