Who uses a Pantin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Got another question on the Pantin.

I have read that it can be kind of hard to keep it on the line, that if you don't advance with your foot just so it will come out of the ascender. Anyone have any problems with that happening? I think I am going to go ahead and order what I need to frog it up after I do my next job this week. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and buy another foot ascender and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with a Pantin or a CMI.

Yeah you have to track the rope through.

TackleTree

TackleTree

ArboristSite Operative
Yes, you can either stitch it in place which may not be a great idea or just run the end under where it goes through the ascender like a half hitch. I will try to get a pic, its a simple fix

I tried that and it works but it gets in the way of the rope grab. Get me that pick though would like to see how you do it. hard to get the rope out when limb walking and moving about in the tree

Last edited:
Panama

Panama

ArboristSite Member
I tried that and it works but it gets in the way of the rope grab. Get me that pick though would like to see how you do it.
Looking down at your foot, the strap tightens by pulling to your left.
Run the strap end from forward to aft, around the strap that comes out the top of the ascender, to put a half hitch on it. So as the end of the strap exits the half hitch pointing forward, towards your toes. Any other way seems to get in the way. Hope this helps until you get a pic.

SINGLE-JACK

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
Easier than climbing a ladder

picture.php

CMI foot ascenders. Left re-rigged with bungie and chicken strap added.
picture.php

Right positioned normally.
picture.php

Left positioned at knee level.
picture.php

Bungie from left CMI fastened through biner and clipped to standing part.
picture.php

Running part through both CMI ascenders.
picture.php

Complete system - just like walking up the rope - THANKS MR. BERANEK!
Used the CMI's because they don't come off the rope accidentally! And, their 'teeth' are easier on the rope.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
I tried that and it works but it gets in the way of the rope grab. Get me that pick though would like to see how you do it. hard to get the rope out when limb walking and moving about in the tree

topbrich001.jpg

The end goes through the loop that is made when is passes through the unit's body. Seems to hold fast and is pure genius if I may say so myself. :greenchainsaw:

TackleTree

TackleTree

ArboristSite Operative
Well I must admit, you are a fart smeller....I mean a smart feller. LOL thanks man. I was putting the half hitch around it right under the rope grab. Your way....Much better! Ok I need to rep you but dont know how

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I used the pantin for a while but now it sits. I use a double-handled ascender with a Croll backup and my hitch on top...........SRT style. IMO the trick to setting up a ascender style footlock assembly is to get the tether at the proper length so that when you take another footlock you are actually sitting on the ascenders rather than holding yourself with your arms. If you are coordinated enough to climb a tree and be reasonably good at it then IMO footlocking is not out the realm for anyone!

Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Bungie from left CMI fastened through biner and clipped to standing part.
picture.php

Running part through both CMI ascenders.

Complete system - just like walking up the rope - THANKS MR. BERANEK!
Used the CMI's because they don't come off the rope accidentally! And, their 'teeth' are easier on the rope.

Not using a micro pully to tend? what is the little red ratchet clasp for, just keeping everything together? or is it actually tending your friction hitch?

SINGLE-JACK

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
Rope walking

Not using a micro pully to tend? what is the little red ratchet clasp for, just keeping everything together? or is it actually tending your friction hitch?

It's excellent you noticed that. In fact, it does much better at tending than a micro pulley. There's no 'slop' in the tending - every inch up is maintained. It only cost about a dollar AND easily removed in case I have to slide my anchor hitch (ABOK1843) off the biner to move around an included branch. Of course, "keeping everything together" is cool, too.
picture.php

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, though. This is just my answer to the "Pantin" question. Not sure it's adaptable to SRT but I believe Jerry Beranek's rope walking idea beats the "Tree Frog" any day, especially since it's about 1/3 the cost. I'm very happy with how efficient the system is working. I get topside faster with much less effort.

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
It's excellent you noticed that. In fact, it does much better at tending than a micro pulley. There's no 'slop' in the tending - every inch up is maintained. It only cost about a dollar AND easily removed in case I have to slide my anchor hitch (ABOK1843) off the biner to move around an included branch. Of course, "keeping everything together" is cool, too.
picture.php

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, though. This is just my answer to the "Pantin" question. Not sure it's adaptable to SRT but I believe Jerry Beranek's rope walking idea beats the "Tree Frog" any day, especially since it's about 1/3 the cost. I'm very happy with how efficient the system is working. I get topside faster with much less effort.

Too messy!!!

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Too messy!!!

Well, that's articulate. I knew I would get some crap on this forum but I expected a little higher quality than "Too messy!!!". How about some constructive advice? Now would be a good time to post a pic (or link) of your 'neat' system.

BTW, this is too messy:

media.nl

That is constructive criticism. You put a pic up here be ready. I've had schit pulled apart here too......welcome to the club. Gimme a closed loop hitch and a pulley anytime!!!

Last edited:
treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
picture.php

Yeah what is the red thingy?

SINGLE-JACK

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
I'm looking into getting a tree frog system and I'm trying to decide if it's for me or not. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy one to satisfy my own curiosity. I have to admit I am not big on mechanical devices and do not have a lot of experience with them. I bought hand and foot ascenders a couple of years ago and have played with them a little but have yet to use them in a work situation.

Anyway, I have been reading about the Pantin that is incorporated into the tree frog system and it occurred to me that it would probably be reasonable to use it in ddrt as well as srt. I have read a lot about guys using one in srt setups but haven't read anything about someone using it ddrt, although the illustration in the Sherrill catalog shows the guy climbing ddrt with one. I have also read that they can be a little difficult to master. The vids I have watched of them being used in srt makes it looks effortless. When compared to watching someone footlock on ddrt it looks so much more effecient. I would feel a lot better about ponying up the bucks for the frog system if I thought I could use some of the stuff in applications other than srt.

Also, how do you pronounce it?

Comments?

"Point of order." This is tree md's thread about "Who uses a Pantin?" My post shows an implementation of Jerry Beranek's "Double Line Rope Walker" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_GUggGMmM). It fits the topic of the thread and I thought tree md would find it easier and cheaper than the tree frog system. The foot ascenders are the salient features of my post and are on topic. I will reply to post about rigging them.

However, how well I tend my hitch is NOT the topic of his thread. I'll reiterate, "I don't want to hi-jack this thread." This forum has appropriate tools for posing off topic questions.

Anyway, Stihl-O-Matic apparently gets it:

If others don't get it - I can live with that. If anyone really wants more info on "the red thingy" (lol), send me a message. I might be willing to do a separate thread.

Appologies to tree md for awakening sleeping giants and diverting attention from his question: "Who uses a Pantin?" .