Who uses a Pantin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you know that rust never sleeps???[/QUOTE]

Well, actually I do.

arust.jpg

Hey thanks for paying attention, it was the Petzl cat. Just walk into any high priced yuppy outdoor outfitter down at the strip mall and ask for one... then walk the hell out and go to your local saw shop to buy it.
Or you could just go to the website?

A lot of what is in the cataloge ( the diagrams) shows things pretty much backed up with separate cordage, the rope acsender is not. I find that rather odd.
There is a set-up of a frog type deal but that stuff is really getting gear intensive. The way to remain in an upright position throughout a climb is with a chest ascender. It can be done a number of ways and can be impractical as all get out when all you need to do is scoot up 65 feet through the tree.

With a simple srt system ( one hand ascnder, one foot acsender) you should be able to hit TIP from the ground. TIP would be the highest and center-most point right? That is usually straight up the trunk.
So you can cut while you head up, your foot can find purchase on the rope for support while you cut your way up and in one side. The hand ascender, properly back -up, is going nowhere; you can even flip it so you can come down to position and move around.
Up to TIP watch out, don't go through the crotch ( you would have to be stupid and weak), so now your just below the place where your srt runs through the high crotch, install your lanyard and slack off the srt enough to move a hair, you should be able to grab one last bite ( a foot or two) with the foot ascender and climb above that point to a TIP above the srt crotch.
Lots of way these rope grabs help out but don'r going betting your life on them.
GOD GAVE US ROPE WITH WHICH TO LIVE...and locking beeners to connect that rope.

A lot of what is in the cataloge ( the diagrams) shows things pretty much backed up with separate cordage, the rope acsender is not. I find that rather odd.
There is a set-up of a frog type deal but that stuff is really getting gear intensive. The way to remain in an upright position throughout a climb is with a chest ascender. It can be done a number of ways and can be impractical as all get out when all you need to do is scoot up 65 feet through the tree.

With a simple srt system ( one hand ascnder, one foot acsender) you should be able to hit TIP from the ground. TIP would be the highest and center-most point right? That is usually straight up the trunk.
So you can cut while you head up, your foot can find purchase on the rope for support while you cut your way up and in one side. The hand ascender, properly back -up, is going nowhere; you can even flip it so you can come down to position and move around.
Up to TIP watch out, don't go through the crotch ( you would have to be stupid and weak), so now your just below the place where your srt runs through the high crotch, install your lanyard and slack off the srt enough to move a hair, you should be able to grab one last bite ( a foot or two) with the foot ascender and climb above that point to a TIP above the srt crotch.
Lots of way these rope grabs help out but don'r going betting your life on them.
GOD GAVE US ROPE WITH WHICH TO LIVE...and locking beeners to connect that rope.

You know I hear a lot about people not being able to stay upright but I had no problems today with just a foot and hand ascender... And believe me I'm top heavy...

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll check it out.

Maybe I should post this back in the Awakenings forum with that post involving a fence:

The other day I am headed upa katalpa- It was a big one I had worked before and that day I was taking two limbs off the bottom. 2 Limbs 6" and 10" dia over the fence.
Of course I am back there alone and shot a line high enough to be able to swing out to get em. My TIP was allready set for overhead support while cutting.
I put the figure 8 in below the acsender to come down, I can install it while hanging on the rope. I use this to move around a tree I just want to hack a few limbs of the bottom and hit the ground real quick.
So I was on the 8 coming down, the acender was unlocked and moving slow doesn't let the friction hitch grab. I had just come through some twigs that were being obnoxoious and set the cam back on the acsender so it would lock and started to let off the 8. Well, the end of the story is it didn't grab where I thought it would cause some twigs got in there but what was grabbing when started to let of the 8 was the bypass friction hitch.
It was easy to lean on the bypass to clean out the acender and from how I see them being used not backing up your ascender is the cause of the accidents I know to have happened. It's dam scary being 120 foot up poplar with just a little rusty rivet.

You know I hear a lot about people not being able to stay upright but I had no problems today with just a foot and hand ascender... And believe me I'm top heavy...

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll check it out.

staying upright while froggin it. Basically what you are doing is footlocking but you have a leg free( if you want) or you can use both and chug.
I n order to frog it you need your weight held from the chest area rather than the hip.

Last edited:
staying upright while froggin it. Basically what you are doing is footlocking but you have a leg free( if you want) or you can use both and chug.
I n order to frog it you need your weight held from the chest area rather than the hip.

Gotcha.

On the previous post. I am with you on that. The frog system employs three ascenders but from what I see you have a hitch to back you up no? I don't know if I'm ready to trust it all to mechanicals...

Not to get too buzzy but did you see the footage of the F8 revolver over there? Pretty slick system. I can see why they're saying the future is SRT. I want to get my head start now...

I'll do a little cutting on the way up with my Zubat hand saw but usually on srt I've got a running bowline tied to my tip and my my 200t hanging on the end of my srt line a couple of feet up to put some weight on the rope. Another reason I don't use the chainsaw on the way up is in case I were to be injured I don't want to have to change over to a figure eight or a traditional climbing system to get back down.

I hear you, but knowing the cuts ( and its just a few prime ones) it ain't so bad.

I usually tend just to get a rope through a crotch and head up without trying to isolate a limb. I just feel lucky ( and relieved) to have the throw line and bag back in one piece.
If no one is on the ground I bring another line to climb on if I have to.

Gotcha.

On the previous post. I am with you on that. The frog system employs three ascenders but from what I see you have a hitch to back you up no? I don't know if I'm ready to trust it all to mechanicals...

Not to get too buzzy but did you see the footage of the F8 revolver over there? Pretty slick system. I can see why they're saying the future is SRT. I want to get my head start now...

Does that young man in the video think he is going to be running some sort of saw up there at any given time?

SO his way to get around the force that which the friction hitch bites on the srt is lessened by the 8. Nice move but maybe to grand a scale.

Does that young man in the video think he is going to be running some sort of saw up there at any given time?

SO his way to get around the force that which the friction hitch bites on the srt is lessened by the 8. Nice move but maybe to grand a scale.

Lol, not to mention if he gets hurt up there how the hell are they going to unwrap him???

Still looked pretty cool though.

Got another question on the Pantin.

I have read that it can be kind of hard to keep it on the line, that if you don't advance with your foot just so it will come out of the ascender. Anyone have any problems with that happening? I think I am going to go ahead and order what I need to frog it up after I do my next job this week. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and buy another foot ascender and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with a Pantin or a CMI.

I have used a CMI foot ascender for years. No problems, ever. Just remember to close it once you take it off your rope or it may catch your rope when you do not want it to. I found this out the hard way as I limb-walked out at fifty feet with a ftp about twenty feet above me. It was kind of "interesting" as I took a step and found my leg frozen to the limb as the rope grabbed the ascender which then grabbed my foot. One thing: The old ones had this webbing strap that got fuzzy very quickly and would not easily pass through the clip. CMI was very cool about sending me a set of the new Kevlar straps. They work better.

I have used a CMI foot ascender for years. No problems, ever. Just remember to close it once you take it off your rope or it may catch your rope when you do not want it to. I found this out the hard way as I limb-walked out at fifty feet with a ftp about twenty feet above me. It was kind of "interesting" as I took a step and found my leg frozen to the limb as the rope grabbed the ascender which then grabbed my foot. One thing: The old ones had this webbing strap that got fuzzy very quickly and would not easily pass through the clip. CMI was very cool about sending me a set of the new Kevlar straps. They work better.

I bought mine about 3 years ago and I'm not sure if I've got the old style straps or the new ones. Mine are black and red and the ones pictured in the catalog now are yellow and black. What color are your new ones SG?

I'm going to price stuff out and see where I can buy the best value. I would stick with the CMI and Black Ice hand ascender I have now but in the frog demo that Sherrill puts on the guy says you need to use a left hand ascender to work properly with the croll. In the configuration on their diagram it shows a R foot ascender and a L hand ascender. Not sure if I will go with Sherrill. They seem a little high on the complete system at $293. I have seen some go as cheap as $160 without the croll or foot ascender. I'm just going to have to figure out what route I want to take. I have 6 Maples to prune this week and plan to use my existing ascenders on that job. Perfect job to use my ascenders on. Tallest tree is probably 45-50'. Anyway, I will do a little more studying before I buy.

Got another question on the Pantin.

I have read that it can be kind of hard to keep it on the line, that if you don't advance with your foot just so it will come out of the ascender. Anyone have any problems with that happening? I think I am going to go ahead and order what I need to frog it up after I do my next job this week. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and buy another foot ascender and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with a Pantin or a CMI.

It can be a pain and if you mess it you might rip your rope unlike footlocking.

You are not going to want two foot jobbies no. One would rip the other out of the groove each time and that would be fun.
A frog system consists of a foot jobby, a chest jobby and a hand jobby which has a strap to go to the foot that doesn't have the jobby on it. That should do it. And you get used to letting your foot " trail" the line through the jobby ya got there. Five feet is enough weight to keep it running through nice but everybody will come over and yank it out and say" do you want me to hold this?". That is not required as it runs good.

Last edited:
It can be a pain and if you mess it you might rip your rope unlike footlocking.

You are not going to want two foot jobbies no. One would rip the other out of the groove each time and that would be fun.
A frog system consists of a foot jobby, a chest jobby and a hand jobby which has a strap to go to the foot that doesn't have the jobby on it. That should do it. And you get used to letting your foot " trail" the line through the jobby ya got there. Five feet is enough weight to keep it running through nice but everybody will come over and yank it out and say" do you want me to hold this?". That is not required as it runs good.

Yeah, I gotcha on the foot ascender. Wasn't planing to use two. I am thinking I will put the other one up for a backup since I let it sit so long and rust. It works fine but I am thinking I would like a right foot ascender anyway. Thanks for the info Dan, I think you just helped me make up my mind.

Edit: forgot to mention that I am a big fan of hand jobbies... :D

I bought mine about 3 years ago and I'm not sure if I've got the old style straps or the new ones. Mine are black and red and the ones pictured in the catalog now are yellow and black. What color are your new ones SG?
(snip)

You have the old ones. Just call CMI and they'll send you the new straps, no charge. I'm surprised that your black straps are still OK, after three years. Mine fuzzed up after about two weeks, although I climb almost every gig, so they were seeing fairly heavy use.

You have the old ones. Just call CMI and they'll send you the new straps, no charge. I'm surprised that your black straps are still OK, after three years. Mine fuzzed up after about two weeks, although I climb almost every gig, so they were seeing fairly heavy use.

Thanks for the tip. I'll call CMI and upgrade before there is a problem. I have barely used mine so there is no wear on them. I'm slow to come around to ascenders. Old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Does anyone have the petzl foot pantin?

I am having problems with the adjustment strap creeping through the buckle. The strap that is below the cam. Any thoughts or Ideas on how to prevent this or am I doing something wrong?

Gets to be a hassle to readjust it halfway up the tree. I am a big guy so maybe I am too heavy for it. :lifter:

Does anyone have the petzl foot pantin?

I am having problems with the adjustment strap creeping through the buckle. The strap that is below the cam. Any thoughts or Ideas on how to prevent this or am I doing something wrong?

Gets to be a hassle to readjust it halfway up the tree. I am a big guy so maybe I am too heavy for it. :lifter:

Yes, you can either stitch it in place which may not be a great idea or just run the end under where it goes through the ascender like a half hitch. I will try to get a pic, its a simple fix

Back