Who wants to mod my stock muffler covers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ive got a brand new 460 cover, and 660 cover. Both are the standard cover. I would like to have both of them modified. PLease let me know if you can do it, and how much you would charge. Im thinking about the double barrel mod, or something similar.

It looks to me like the one guy just drills a hole in them and welds a washer over it.

Rick

Last edited:
I would like something cool and distinct. Ive seen Lake and a few others use 1/2" or 3/4" pipe, brazed on the front corner. I would like something along those lines.

Lake....you following me around??!

Yeah, I didnt know the 066 cover was already good. Ive got both the DP covers on the saws. I remember you saying the 460 cover could use a little enlargeing. I think it would be cool if it looked like it was ready to fire a slug, thats all.

Anyone have a 20 gauge O/U they want to saw a little off then end?!!

another vote for using a factory dual port muffler on a brand new saw. just to make sure there's no chance of voiding your warranty.

CaseyForrest said:
I would like something cool and distinct. Ive seen Lake and a few others use 1/2" or 3/4" pipe, brazed on the front corner. I would like something along those lines.

Don't put a pipe on the front cover as it will burn the wood you are cutting - you can catch it on fire... Pipe should be angled away from handles (and the saw parts) and mounted in the rear portion, and never protrude beyond the front of the saw oil tank. If it's just for show, then anything goes...

I think the 066 DP is already cool...

CaseyForrest said:
Lake....you following me around??!

Yeah, I didnt know the 066 cover was already good. Ive got both the DP covers on the saws. I remember you saying the 460 cover could use a little enlargeing. I think it would be cool if it looked like it was ready to fire a slug, thats all.

Anyone have a 20 gauge O/U they want to saw a little off then end?!!

Just stalking...

Heck, just mount a 12 gauge shell on the front, It will fire when hot:hmm3grin2orange:

On the 460- cover, just enlarge the existing slot. This way the spart arrester is still in place, and as it has a much larger area than the exit, doesn't affect operation.

046 said:
another vote for using a factory dual port muffler on a brand new saw. just to make sure there's no chance of voiding your warranty.

Won't help with the warranty... The 066 DP was discontinued on production models in 1995, and the DP on the 460 is NOT available for the 440. Another good reason to keep your old covers.

Im with you on the aiming of the exhaust. That was my intention with doing the 660 cover, try to get those gasses shotting down when in the mill. With my old 066 and the OE DP cover, after a few minutes of running, it would heat up my hand to the point I had to wear gloves...REAL hot!!

Oh yeah...Im talking about taking the Stock covers, the ones that come with the saw, and modding them. Not modding the DP cover.

Just remember by pointing the exhaust gases down, it will be possible that you could burn the case....

I like the factory DP cover too.

Hey lakeside, did I read that right? You can't get a DP cover for a 044/046 anymore? Do you by chance have the part number for it so I can check my old amish dealers stock?

I believe I have a ST1128 140 0801 44/46 DP cover that I bought in case my home brewed cover was a flop, I got drilled for like $34.00 for it!

It's new , never ran.

I like my custom covers so I would part with this one, how does $25 sound?

Jeff

Walkers does it for $30 Can.
walkers.jpg

JeffHK454 said:
I believe I have a ST1128 140 0801 44/46 DP cover that I bought in case my home brewed cover was a flop, I got drilled for like $34.00 for it!

It's new , never ran.

Jeff

I already have the DP cover for the 460 and the 660. What I want to do is have the stock, no port cover ported with some sort of tubing. Especially on my milling saw to get the exhaust out and past the case and away from the mill.

Could even go so far as to have one muffler cover for milling, and the regualr DP cover for regular cutting. Thats the way I have the clutch cover set up. I use an old one for milling, and keep the new one with the dog on it for cutting so I dont have to take the dog off and on.

JeffHK454 said:

It's new , never ran.

Jeff

Since Casey doesn't want it, can I take it? I'll already sent a PM

Lakeside does this sound like the correct # for a 044/046 DP cover.

Stang if this is the correct cover then it's yours.

It's kind of funny, I have had many modified/hacked covers but haven't seen another DP cover to compare to mine.

The DP cover has one 3/16" wide slot about 1 1/4 long with a spark screen and screw on retainer?

Jeff

Yup that is the one, I got the # from Lakeside earlier. I can post up a pic of the one on my 046. It sounds the same from your description.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back