who warms up their saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YOU, are an idiot that doesnt seem to know anything about a 2-stroke internal combustion engine. :deadhorse:

So my 028 from 1979 has a piston that is in immaculate condition and was never off the saw until 2 months ago got that way because we let is warm up and was nice and easy with it and took very good care of it? We beat that saw like no tomorrow and took poor care of it till I found this place.

Did I ever guarantee you fry your saw if you didnt warm it up? No, I think not. What I said was I believe that it is better to let the saw warm up a little bit before going full bore into cutting wood. I know this is better and nothing will change my opinion. The fact that your 028 has lasted that long with whatever you have done with it a testament to the quality of Stihl, and apparantly your maintenence. Wow how these opinion threads get people a rollin. Im done beatin this dead horse. I dont give a damn if you wind your saw wide open cold start at 30 below zero. But I know how I will use mine.

I just can't fathom what makes a person burn expensive fuel, oil, and time for no tangible benefit. Just the time alone should be a factor--I know it is with my time.

When I had CR's I always put my hand on the chamber until warmth accrued before ferma was flying same goes for my saws but chips.You can't play pool with a rope(gotta get it warmed up).

This is great!

Some more interesting info for ya!

We used a 2 cycle lawnmower for many years (OMC, lawnboy). There was no provision for reduced speed. The engine was finally getting a bit of a rattle after about 23 years.... It was mowing this lawn, and back in the day atleast 4 others weekly..... :rock:

I love the thoughts about piston and cylinder expansion rates. I never thought about it like that before. Good point.

A certain pro saw was started, then kicked down to idle, and while gazing upon the task at hand for maybe 30 seconds it warmed up. That is about all the warming it ever got. It is still running strong, 30 years later. Some things don't know when to die!

-Pat

Ford already got their lunch eaten. That's why they've mortgaged their factories. :laugh:

Foreign cars and trucks are the reason all native car makers
are in trouble but as far as vehicles ford has eaten chevy up!
I have a fourty two year old ford that will pull any gas burner
I have come across. Ford=First On Race Day+Found On Road Driving

In my experience, Ford has pretty good motors, crappy wiring, and crappy steering pumps. I like gm trucks better because the wiring is much better--at least on the ones I've owned.

Nope, Found On Road Dead.

I say again I have a fourty two year old I would
hook chains to your chevy and skid all over the field.
The most dependable and first automaker and best.
Ford rear ends are built twice as strong as chevy
and motors as well and transmissions also I had
a chevy try to follow me in the woods on several
occasions and always had to pull them out of the mud!

I say again I have a fourty two year old I would
hook chains to your chevy and skid all over the field.
The most dependable and first automaker and best.
Ford rear ends are built twice as strong as chevy
and motors as well and transmissions also I had
a chevy try to follow me in the woods on several
occasions and always had to pull them out of the mud!

Yeah, sure, ok. I don't have too many problems with Ford, I would love to have a mint '93 Cobra. Other than that I will never own one. You better had get you a Chevy to tow that 42 year old beast around.

Latest posts

Back