Who would like a Gardening forum on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate gardens! Love farming, but hate gardens :dunno: I'm dreading the thought of laying 4 acres of plastic in another month or so. :bang:

I hate gardens! Love farming, but hate gardens :dunno: I'm dreading the thought of laying 4 acres of plastic in another month or so. :bang:

I'm sure you have one of those nice combination units that lays down plastic, seed, irrigating tape at the same time (??)

I've always wanted to see a gardening sticky here, count me in

We only garden on a very small scale, but I like seeing how early you guys plant and how stuff grows in different areas. I'm in.

Btw, there's still at least 2 feet of frost here, and between 4-5 feet of snow in places in the yard. Last frost date, first week of june. :(

im in. i doubled the size of our garden this fall. and put a full #### spreader load over it. it was cow ####.

Map

Here is a pic of what I currenty have (in red) and you can see how far I can expand.

property.jpg

This is down the street from me. It is where I have the privilege of helping and learning. the width of the field is about 400 feet.

crump.jpg

I have been told that I am very lucky to be able to learn and help. I feel lucky to learn from a old farmer. Used to plow here with mules!!

Im in for a garden section.. I would love to see more pictures of what yall grow.. I seem to forget the camera when i go to the garden. Last years garden was a tad over 800 lbs of spuds (half red half white) just over 200 lbs of carrots, two five gallon pails of peas, some cucumbers, sadly only two pumpkins came last year.

Do any of you guys do anything different with any of your veggies?? I build boxes for my water mellons and for my pumpkins.. Mind you im not growing huge pumpkins.. This year i want to try to tie a few cucumbers around a wooden dowel.. I don't know why but people pay more for odd veggies.. :msp_thumbup:

Im in for a garden section.. I would love to see more pictures of what yall grow.. I seem to forget the camera when i go to the garden. Last years garden was a tad over 800 lbs of spuds (half red half white) just over 200 lbs of carrots, two five gallon pails of peas, some cucumbers, sadly only two pumpkins came last year.

Do any of you guys do anything different with any of your veggies?? I build boxes for my water mellons and for my pumpkins.. Mind you im not growing huge pumpkins.. This year i want to try to tie a few cucumbers around a wooden dowel.. I don't know why but people pay more for odd veggies.. :msp_thumbup:

I use a sloped section of chicken wire for my cucumbers, plant them right on the edge and they climb up the wire with a bit of training, a row of lettuce usually gets planted behind the fence.

0704101220a.jpg

2013 plan

I am sure I will change it a little. The broccoli and cabbage are already planted.

garden+plan.jpg

Any suggestions would be awesome. Has to be things that will grow in the heat. July and august we will break the 100' mark.

Last edited:
Cotton

im in. i doubled the size of our garden this fall. and put a full #### spreader load over it. it was cow ####.

I am using cotton seed mulch from the cotton gin.

Spread out some and tilled it in.

Now its time do make the furrows, fill with mulch, cover and let sit until planting time.

I'm sure you have one of those nice combination units that lays down plastic, seed, irrigating tape at the same time (??)

Yeah, we've got one that lays the plastic and the drip tape, then you plant by hand. It's still a PITA. Even worse than laying it down, is picking it back up at the end of the season. I'd love to hear some ideas on that.

whats goin in the plastic? i looked at your profile, now i know why u r partial to chicken ####:hmm3grin2orange:

Tomato's, squash, cucumber, zuccini, bush limas, peppers. All kinds of different stuff. My stepmother runs a farm market, so she grows alot of her own stuff. I don't really get into the planting, maintenence, and harvest. I get the ground ready, lay the plastic, and hook up the irrigation. Let the gals take care of most everything else :msp_biggrin: I try to make myself busy with the hay and grain as much as I can :laugh:

Yeah, on the chicken poop, there's plenty of it around here. The layer manure is a little bit harder to come by, but it is so much better. I've seen ground that wouldn't grow a good stand of weeds grow 200 bushels/acre of corn or better after putting 4tons/acre of the stinky stuff down. It's amazing stuff.

Yeah, we've got one that lays the plastic and the drip tape, then you plant by hand. It's still a PITA. Even worse than laying it down, is picking it back up at the end of the season. I'd love to hear some ideas on that.

Tomato's, squash, cucumber, zuccini, bush limas, peppers. All kinds of different stuff. My stepmother runs a farm market, so she grows alot of her own stuff. I don't really get into the planting, maintenence, and harvest. I get the ground ready, lay the plastic, and hook up the irrigation. Let the gals take care of most everything else :msp_biggrin: I try to make myself busy with the hay and grain as much as I can :laugh:

Yeah, on the chicken poop, there's plenty of it around here. The layer manure is a little bit harder to come by, but it is so much better. I've seen ground that wouldn't grow a good stand of weeds grow 200 bushels/acre of corn or better after putting 4tons/acre of the stinky stuff down. It's amazing stuff.

most of the veggie growers up here that use plastic, use whats called a mulch lifter.about $2500. or more. i do it the old fashion way,herbicide. you know what i talking about if you grow corn. i grow about 6 acres of sweet corn and all the other goodies for my market. where in md.?

Last edited:
most of the veggie growers up here that use plastic, use whats called a mulch lifter.about $2500. or more. i do it the old fashion way,herbicide. you know what i talking about if you grow corn. i grow about 6 acres of sweet corn and all the other goodies for my market. where in md.?

Near Cecilton. The market is in Middletown, DE. My mothers family is spread out up there from East Berlin to Gettysburg.

Herbicides are fine if you're growing one crop, Here we've got 20 different things growing on 4 or 5 acres. You've really gotta watch what you're doing. Even residual from the previous year can get you in trouble with veggie crops. I do use some pre-emerge between the plastic before planting, but some stuff is so sensitive, you have to watch where you're putting it for the following year.

Latest posts

Back