Who would like a Gardening forum on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Near Cecilton. The market is in Middletown, DE. My mothers family is spread out up there from East Berlin to Gettysburg.

Herbicides are fine if you're growing one crop, Here we've got 20 different things growing on 4 or 5 acres. You've really gotta watch what you're doing. Even residual from the previous year can get you in trouble with veggie crops. I do use some pre-emerge between the plastic before planting, but some stuff is so sensitive, you have to watch where you're putting it for the following year.

i know i'm on athree year rotation except for the sweet corn.we go to dover spring& fall stay at harrington fairgrounds. nice flat fields down there.

Has anyone used rosin paper as mulch? I'm thinkin bout putting that down instead of newspaper in my new raised beds before I drop the mushroom compost on top. No, I do not have enough newspapers to do the job.
I like the cuke trellis..

What's all this gardening talk????

It's 15* out right now and my garden is under about 8" of snow yet...

I'm jealous

Anyone of you guys do no-til on the garden?

About 5 years ago we switched to 100% no-til on our farm, and we are hooked on it.

I imagine I could scale it down to garden size. But I'm curious how I'd go about breaking up the hard pan?

A GARDEN THREAD...YAY! :rock:

Can't wait to do some diggin'. 6" fell here today:mad2:

We grow organic garlic, corn, potatoes, peppers, carrots, rhubarb, strawberries, beans, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, and whatever else I can fit into the plot. We freeze & can a bunch of it, and sell some at a farmers market. A couple of years ago, we got almost 1000 lbs of potatoes (kinnebec's) from 70lbs of seed!!! Yeeeehaaaa! By spring, we gave a few hundred lbs to the local food bank. Usually do about 700 heads of garlic....no vampires here!

Anyway, YES to a garden forum! :clap::msp_thumbsup::cheers:

pic's in the spring/summer

When the time does come my garden has

Carrots
Cauliflower (last year was our first year and it didn't grow well at all, it just bolted seeds, the 2 month stretch of 95*+...)
Broccoli
Beans (green, yellow and purple)
Potatoes (Yukon Golds, German Butterball and a purple potato)
Various peppers
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Zukinee
Summer squash
Watermelon
Pumpkins
Radish's
Turnips (for the chickens)
Cucumbers
Sugar peas
Various herbs

This spring I'm going to try garlic

In the barn I raise cows (we are getting 6 calves tomorrow)
We have 40 laying hens
We raise about 150-200 broiler chickens throughout spring, summer and the fall.

Every year my garden keeps growing larger and larger. I am blessed with kids who love veggies. They will choose a veggie besides candy:rock:

The problem though... They've become veggie snobs. They will not eat veggies we buy in the store. So my garden has to grow to meet their needs. (I'm screwed when they become teenagers)

About 5 years ago we switched to 100% no-til on our farm, and we are hooked on it.

I imagine I could scale it down to garden size. But I'm curious how I'd go about breaking up the hard pan?

I'm sure you can come up with a way to cause an explosion that will loosen up the ground a bit.

Never heard of German Butterball spuds. Are they white or yellow?

I'm sure you can come up with a way to cause an explosion that will loosen up the ground a bit.

My garden could use some more #### in it. I'm debating on having you or Tom come:hmm3grin2orange:

Then I figured O:cry:oh is closer to me, and there is no shortage of bull #### there

some of the bigger veggie growers are experimenting with it here, mostly tomatoes &pumpkins. they plant some type of cover crop in the fall & roll it down or kill it .special made (read expensive) equipment. plant the cauliflower in late jun/early july for a fall harvest.i get those questions every year why did this happen to my broc/caulif?

Last edited:
Never heard of German Butterball spuds. Are they white or yellow?

Yellow. They are a small tater, about the size of a silver dollar.

Sorry for the confusing reference, I'm not sure what your ministry uses for money

My garden could use some more #### in it. I'm debating on having you or Tom come:hmm3grin2orange:

Then I figured O:cry:oh is closer to me, and there is no shortage of bull #### there

I'll go visit anytime, but I better still have all my fingers when I come home.

Yellow. They are a small tater, about the size of a silver dollar.

Sorry for the confusing reference, I'm not sure what your ministry uses for money

Hockey pucks. Duh.

Turnips (for the chickens)

This spring I'm going to try garlic

I forgot about my chickens. I raise organic layers & meat birds. Mmmmm chicken!

Garlic should be planted in fall for bigger heads. Harvest in July. Mmmmm Garlic!

Oooooh wait...chicken with garlic?! Mmmmm chicken & garlic! .....and beer!:givebeer:

Wait...beer battered chicken with garlic.... life sure is okay in these parts!

some of the bigger veggie growers are experimenting with it here, mostly tomatoes &pumpkins. they plant some type of cover crop in the fall & roll it down or kill it .special made (read expensive) equipment. plant the cauliflower in late jun/early july for a fall harvest.i get those questions every year why did this happen to my broc/caulif?

Green Manure.... Radishes, peas, belle beans, rye grass etc... All good stuff! You can do it on a small scale, but it is work. But work is what it is all about! A satisfaction of knowing you planted it, grew it, and harvested it. You know where your food is coming from, and at the same time you're not supporting some big company only out for profits. Farm on!:rock:

Here is my garden this past year.

It quit raining about the 2nd week in June and we didn't get any rain til the end of August/ first of September. July and August never had a day where the highs were below 90, a few weeks we had week straight of over 100.

That explains the brown

gurysyta.jpg

qu2agahu.jpg

I had to see the devastation of our crops so I talked to a pilot at church to take me up in his plane

Latest posts

Back