Who's old enough to remeber what the spotted owl did?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of the few people I know of that works or has worked in the woods that has actually seen a Spotted Owl. It was in Bellingham, WA in 2005. The owl was perched on an electrical line going into an apartment complex, in an alley above three dumpsters.

I am one of the few people I know of that works or has worked in the woods that has actually seen a Spotted Owl. It was in Bellingham, WA in 2005. The owl was perched on an electrical line going into an apartment complex, in an alley above three dumpsters.

LOL...I had one pointed out to me one time...it was perched in a second growth snag, in a pasture, near a road between Honeydew and Petrolia. I've never seen another.

I've seen a bunch of them.....I fell a Cedar with a nest of 3 chicks, killed 2 of them when the tree hit. Had someone else turn the other in to the wildlife center and within a day it made the front page of the local liberal paper. Had a job shut down because of the owl. The big old growth is standing and will never be logged. They're the scape-goat for sure......but I really think the red legged frog tasted better than the spotted owl.....Hahahahahahaha!

I've seen a bunch of them.....I fell a Cedar with a nest of 3 chicks, killed 2 of them when the tree hit. Had someone else turn the other in to the wildlife center and within a day it made the front page of the local liberal paper. Had a job shut down because of the owl. The big old growth is standing and will never be logged. They're the scape-goat for sure......but I really think the red legged frog tasted better than the spotted owl.....Hahahahahahaha!

LOL...
Cahoon knows about this stuff. Just north of where he lives, just south of the Vina fire station are some volcanic cap rock flats that you could
starve a goat to death on. You can't do anything with the land, though, like build houses on it. It has Meadow Foam...which is a weed that even the goats won't eat...that's an endangered plant.
It also has "vernal pools". These are seasonal mud puddles, basically, but they support a microscpic shrimp that the environmentalists consider holy.
So...there it sits. I own some of it. I pay taxes on it. Nobody in their right mind will buy it and I can't do anything with it. But the Meadow Foam and the little shrimp are very happy.
Environmentalists are not my favorite people.

LOL...
Cahoon knows about this stuff. It has Meadow Foam...which is a weed that even the goats won't eat...that's an endangered plant.
It also has "vernal pools". These are seasonal mud puddles, basically, but they support a microscpic shrimp that the environmentalists consider holy.
So...there it sits. I own some of it. I pay taxes on it. Nobody in their right mind will buy it and I can't do anything with it. But the Meadow Foam and the little shrimp are very happy.
Environmentalists are not my favorite people.

LOL!!!!! In other words Tree Huggers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always preferred my murrelet well marbled.
:dizzy: :dizzy: :clap: :dizzy: :clap:

Last edited:
Enumclaw used to have a saw and rigging shop in a large triangle area prolly half to 3/4 acre. Same people run the shop but now prolly less than1500 square ft no rigging bigger than some pre-made cat chokers. Used to have a big Weyerhaeuser mill its gone torn down. Was a true logging town with many log trucks parked in drive ways. Neighbor across the street still has his Peterbuilt and hauls almost everyday but the suburbanites are invading.Its still rural but the bedrooms are coming.
Read an article last year said a little owl from the midwest is invading and displacing the spotted owl so much for mans good intentions.

My uncles seen one in a culvert of all places. I think it was an old growth culvert.

Yup...also Meadow Foam Fondlers and vernal pool Shrimp suckers. :cheers:

Yeah they act like the trees will just keep growing and growing,,,,

and never decay and live forever,,, really stupid!!!!!! so let them Rot and waste the wood????

attachment.php

Like who planted the 550 - 1000 year old Sitka Spruce,,, Christopher Columbus??? Johnny Appleseed or Marco Polo!!!!!

attachment.php

When I worked on the East side (dry side) we found a spotted owl in a Ponderosa Pine. We reported it like we were supposed to and the 'ologist said it couldn't possibly be one because they don't live in P pine. We had a pretty good birder on the crew who positively identified it. It made our ornery boss so mad, he decided to report seeing one on every sale we marked. Which he did and they ignored.

Saw a Mexican Spotted Owl (they go hooteria, hooteria):) in AZ. In fact it followed me around. Come to find out, it was named Fred and had been fed mice so much, it expected me to feed it dinner.

Now we have to save maples because of the snails that hang out around them and protect a lot of small slimy things as well as the owls and salmon and goats and bats and moss and...Do you know how hard it is to run lines down a unit with a bunch of areas tagged off for protection? Makes it quite annoying. The logging season goes like this, Can't log in January, February--Eagles. Can't log in March to July 1--owls. Can't log til August and then you must wait one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset--Marbled Murrellets. August and September often have limited ops due to fire danger.
October, the wet season starts and the salmon have to be protected, November and December we must protect the wintering big game, and so it goes. :dizzy:

I'm home hoarking up my lungs today. I am living in a community that was hit hard. There used to be a small saw shop and a gas station/logging supply place, 7 truck scale ramps, and a school full of kids. Now it has 2 mini-marts, the grocery store, we have to drive 60 miles to a saw shop, no truck scaling and the school has had to combine with two other communities because of all the families that moved away. Tourism was supposed to replace the logging/mill jobs lost but that hasn't happened. Lots of retirees and second home people moving here. I miss the signs on the bar doors that said
PLEASE!
No guns.
No knives.
No calks.
We still have a mill going. Used to be three here. I came back under the impression that things were going to pick up some, but that isn't happening.
Right now there isn't anything going on because of snow and the market. Well, time to grab more kleenex. We need to live for the future! And the way my nose goes when I have the crud, the kleenex industry will thrive.:)

hey you must live in Castle Rock, Wa.!!!

I was 19 when the spotted owl "CRISIS" was going on in the news and I heard from a friend that the boss said to his crew to shoot any owls and get rid of them. It was a stupid idea to shut down an area because of an owl. In the end I think it made them target practice. You could loose your job if one was found in your cut block. This is just like farmers fields being sectioned off because of some special animal living on it. So the next farmer hears that Joe Blow lost 2 acres of farm land to protect some marmot or somesuch critter, so when he sees one in his own field, he just goes and shoots it. Not a well thought out policy by the powers that be. They could relocate them or something, put them in a zoo. That policy probably caused more deaths to the animal and hurt families.

Latest posts

Back