Who's still burning??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a fire going in the woodstove this morning (Sunday morning)
Stoked it enough to build up a nice coal bed and let it die down.

South Western NY

I'm still at here in upstate NY too. I have a pile of white pine and spruce that I've been stuffin the boiler with, It's been low 40's damp and rainy. I'm lookin at the first week of june before I shut her down..

36 degrees here this morning (Monday). I lit up late yesterday afternoon and kept it going last night. Has to be the latest I've ever burned, and I'm probably not done yet. Certaing a colder than normal spring.

But $4.25 heating oil is a factor as well now. In both the beginning and end of the heating season when the woodstove would almost be too much, I used to run the furnace to take the chill off. Not anymore.

Im done!!!

Feels good. Ive been trying to "be done" for about two weeks now, but im pretty confident i wont light another fire until october.

Hopefully this summer I get all my wood cut for next season. I got stuck:help: cutting wood in the snow too many times this season.:deadhorse:

Now, if i could just get some time between work, mowing the yard, and taking care of the garden to go out and cut everything would be great:cheers:

well here in Scotland we have had a great 2 weeks, oil heating off( and not going back on, much to wife disgrutelment) but had a few fires on the wood stove in the living room to take the chill off. woods finished to down to burning any dried limbs etc I find on our shore.

first real year of constant wood burning and already have more then halved our oil purchases for the central heating.

happy cutting!

-5C (23F) in Altnaharra (northern Scotland) last night according to the met office.

Last edited:
I am still running the boiler for hot water here. Burning the pithy and half rotten stuff that coals up and cooks slow all day. Turned the boiler down to 160 too. Still green here, late seasons this year. No burn control yet. Usually they start burn control here on July 1, so that will be when I have to shut her down.

Still burning here...

Been having a fire indoors nearly every day. Mostly to heat water, but the nights have been in the 40s and 30s and the house cools down too and it's almost June.

Global warming seems to be on vacation!

The OWB's still going

We live in NE Ohio, Stark Co. Canton/Massillon area and it is cool and damp enough to need heat every day.Plus we also heat the DHW so the longer heating season is a savings on Nat. gas for that. I hope that the Ohio EPA looks at the weather we are having when they make there new rules for OWB's. They said that they wanted them to shut down by April 15th. This is way to soon for us in this area.

Just going out with the Fiskars to get a nights worth of cr@p wood to throw in the stove! My 6mo old girl don't like it much below 65 in the mornings!:cry:

I wish my dig.cam batteries were up.
I could've posted pics of the snow we got here today! No real accumulation, but windy with heavy flurries at times.
Stoves been stoked with a combination of old black cherry, a bit of seasoned white ash, and small "green" white ash pole wood that was for supposed to be for next year! A blend of what's left in the garage.

Bill

Got oil delivered today. Got 211 gallons on the bargain contract price of $2.61. Without the contract, price would had been $4.46. Oil company thought I should of burned 730 gallons for the winter. With the insert only burned a click over 500. Glad I got that insert.

I was going to shut my OWB down a while back when the day time temps were in the high 70's. I am glad I didn't! It has been about 10 degrees cooler than normal for this time of year and at nights it has been around mid 40's. Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be up in the mid 70's, so hopefully this will be it for the cooler weather.

Looks like my Sunday night fire wasn't just a late season novelty. 34 this morning, and the forecast says this will continue til the weekend. I'll probably be burning most of the week. Got plenty to burn, as I'm dipping into next years wood. This will be the year that we remember as the one where we burned til Memorial Day.

Filled up the two oil tanks at the store for next year. We have one for the shop and one for the showroom. $4.14 from the COD guy was the best we found. Next closest was $4.25.

Back