Who's still burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LANNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
May 17 and 18 , fires at night, in EAST TENNESSEE! I thought I was done. It was kind of nice actually, but I hope that will be it....Lanny

May 17 and 18 , fires at night, in EAST TENNESSEE! I thought I was done. It was kind of nice actually, but I hope that will be it....Lanny

If I would have had any wood at the house last night I would have been...:dizzy:

My wife started a fire for a couple hours yesterday afternoon. Nice way to dispose of the ash branches I had to pick up to mow the lawn.

Also picked up a couple ticks in the process. It's nice when tick and heating season intersect. Just toss 'em on a lid over the firebox and let 'm smoulder. Easier than taking out the pocket knife. :)

Only getting to 50°ish today. Frost warning tonight.

Gives me a nice way to clean the firewood stalls in the barn. I'll burn anything bigger than dust. Gotta love gathering fuel with a pushbroom. :laugh:

EDIT: I remember a thread of this same title from last year, round this time. Went on for weeks with some folks posting into June. Latest I've had a fire was about June 20 or thereabouts. Remember it was a raw and rainy day. Only in the low 50s with high humidity making the mahagony handrail tacky to the touch.

Last edited:
North central North Carolina, will be tonight.

Man, I've been living in the south WAAYyyyy too long.

Later,

Left a couple windows open last night and it was 61 in the house this morning so I started one and got it to 70. We only had a high of 51 and there's a frost advisory tonight. I'm going to get it going again now.

I fired up the wood stove the other night when it got down to 34* here in southern Wisconsin.
Its cheaper than running the furnace...

Haven't made a fire for a couple of days now, but there was a very light dusting of snow last night. Hard to tell that any snow fell except for the little bit that got caught up in the windshield wipers on my truck.

Maybe I will light one up later this evening, but then again it isn't that cold so I may wait until I really feel the need.

I try not to keep wood in the house over the summer, so when I decide to make a fire I take the wheelbarrow over to the nearest stack and bring about 8 or so pieces into the house.

Only one mosquito bite so far, so I ain't complaining!

:cheers:

Central NJ near PA.... just lit the first fire in about a month. Thought we were done for the summer! Swept the chimney and cleaned everything out a couple weeks ago. Now the house is 62F and dropping, forecast is for upper 30s here tonight. So, a small fire to chase the chill away will be enough til tomorrow when it should be a little warmer and a little sunnier. :popcorn:

The house was chilly this morning so I lit one for a while and then let it die down but there is a frost warning tonight so we restarted it. I just picked up a bunch of little stuff and odds from around the pile. That stuff is good for it.

I haven't shut mine down since I lit up in September! Still making DHW and turned the heat on a little while ago to get the house up to 70F. Frost advisory tonight so I loaded the OWB up for the first time in almost 1.5 months. It was nice to already have it going.:clap:

Still burning here. Supposed to be 36º tonite.

Probably will burn tomorrow, 45º overnight.

Rest of week though looks like lows of 50s, highs in 80s and 90s.

Burning off the junky wood and weird shaped little pieces. Little fires to be sure!

I'll burn anything bigger than dust.

That's a good catch phrase there!

Have a thermometer near the woodstove in the basement. Any evening it's below 60, I bring in an armload of boxelder and take the chill off a little with it. Have not burned regularly since about the 1st of the month, about every 4-5 days lately. All windows open in the house right now, 70° and sunshine, almost feel bad leaving for NC on vacation tomorrow!

Woodpile is not filling out very fast, but the unsplit pile keeps getting bigger, guess I'm just not as motivated to split when it gets warmer out.

Steve

Jealous of you eastern guys for all the supply of good hardwoods everywhere, but its was over 100 here Sat. and we were swimming in a cool pool in the hot, dry near insect free air. Give n take I guess.......our double door Olympic woodstove will be a flower vase table until Oct or Nov at least....

Latest posts

Back