Why all the excitement over the DHT splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These have received a lot of coverage here. I want to finally buy a 22-25 ton splitter. I don't have a budget; meaning I can buy whatever I want, but I'd just as soon not spend more than I need to for an effective unit. I looked at the DHT's at Lowes. They do look solidly built, but everything on it looks to be Chinese, including the "Kohler" engine. They look to be a Speeco, Huskee, Black Diamond clone except for the Colorado state flag on the unit. Is it the price or the customer service or what is it that has made them the "gotta-have-it" splitter when he looks like a lot of others...just with a different paint job? I was set on an Ariens 22T which is mostly American parts, but interestingly enough, it seems to be more lightweight than the DHT, but at a higher price.

To be honest, I think most any splitter will last a lifetime if you take care of it, so any of the above will be fine. I'm just curious as to why the DHT's have become so popular.

I don't know about the DHT splitter but if it's a clone to my Huskee then it should be a good unit.
If you don't have a budget why not spend a few hundred more and get the 35 ton?

They're a sponsor here. Put in the time to deal with us. Counts for something. Good product, good price & good customer service.

I don't know about the DHT splitter but if it's a clone to my Huskee then it should be a good unit.
If you don't have a budget why not spend a few hundred more and get the 35 ton?
Why is dang near EVERYONE here so apt to want a huge 35 ton splitter? Is it really required? I've had 28ton and it's split everything I've thrown at it. I now have a splitter that will max at 22ton, but it is set at 2000 psi and is probably around 15 ton or less. It's gone through pecan, hedge, oak. sheered through nasty hedge knots.

Going with a 35 ton means one thing to me. SLOW... unless you have at least a 22gpm pump pushing that large 5" diameter cylinder. And I doubt any store bought splitter will have a 22gpm pump on it..

Why is dang near EVERYONE here so apt to want a huge 35 ton splitter? Is it really required? I've had 28ton and it's split everything I've thrown at it. I now have a splitter that will max at 22ton, but it is set at 2000 psi and is probably around 15 ton or less. It's gone through pecan, hedge, oak. sheered through nasty hedge knots.

Going with a 35 ton means one thing to me. SLOW... unless you have at least a 22gpm pump pushing that large 5" diameter cylinder. And I doubt any store bought splitter will have a 22gpm pump on it..

35 ton is also heavy to lug around. It's a free country to choose what we want.

I would probably go for a timberwolf or professional with a Honda if I wasn't on a budget.

35 ton is also heavy to lug around. It's a free country to choose what we want.

I would probably go for a timberwolf or professional with a Honda if I wasn't on a budget.

You took the words right out of my mouth...

IF the OP doesn't have a budget, then a BIG step UP to a Timberwolf is the answer! Buying a model that will accept their 4-way wedge and table grate is a HUGE time saver and a much better built machine...

SR

I don't like that family of splitters at all. Slow, uncomfortable for me to run, and cheaply built IMO. I cant stand to run my cousin's Huskee. Biggest dislike is the angle of the lever to actuate the ram in the horizontal position. With that said do they work? Yes.

These have received a lot of coverage here. I want to finally buy a 22-25 ton splitter. I don't have a budget; meaning I can buy whatever I want, but I'd just as soon not spend more than I need to for an effective unit. /QUOTE]

Then why not get the Super Split? You'll never go back to hydraulic!

I was set on an Ariens 22T which is mostly American parts, but interestingly enough, it seems to be more lightweight than the DHT, but at a higher price.

Well it seems that you have answered your own question.

Thanks for your replies. I like thee Super Split, but I have grand kids that love to work with me and Id be scared to have them around it. Besides. I don't need the speed. The upper end splitters are certainly better-built, but they're pretty heavy for my old back and knees. That's why I initially liked the Ariens...but the weight savings are at the expense of not having a full beam. The Wallenstein splitters are pretty nice-looking units and are pretty easy to move around and they'll take a 4-way. But functionally, I doubt they'd do any better than the DHT. So after all is said and done, the DHT might be the best unit no matter what the budget might be. Hmmm

Stay away from the box store h/v splitters no matter the brand. The whole design is a compromise.

Dedicated horizontal or vertical with a log lift is the way to go IMHO.

I guess it all depends on what you think you'll split. When I bought my 20-ton Brave the sales guy tried to convince me to buy the larger splitter and I ignored him. Granted I don't split hardwoods, but still most people will do fine with a 20-25 ton splitter. IMO Cycle time is more important than tonnage.

Stay away from the box store h/v splitters no matter the brand. The whole design is a compromise.

Dedicated horizontal or vertical with a log lift is the way to go IMHO.

Actually that really isn't true depending on your needs. Not all of the box store splitters are bad and many have an established history of reliable operation with few problems. If you are processing firewood as a business in large volume then a box store splitter isn't likely the best choice. For most of us that split for personal use at a rate of 4-10 cord a year, they are an excellent choice, especially for the price.

I guess it all depends on what you think you'll split. When I bought my 20-ton Brave the sales guy tried to convince me to buy the larger splitter and I ignored him. Granted I don't split hardwoods, but still most people will do fine with a 20-25 ton splitter. IMO Cycle time is more important than tonnage.
I've got a 20 ton brave as well as a 35 ton huskee.The brave is a good splitter but a big piece of elm or knotty piece of hard wood sometimes will stall it out whereas the 35 toner keeps going.Sometimes bigger is better!

Actually that really isn't true depending on your needs. Not all of the box store splitters are bad and many have an established history of reliable operation with few problems. If you are processing firewood as a business in large volume then a box store splitter isn't likely the best choice. For most of us that split for personal use at a rate of 4-10 cord a year, they are an excellent choice, especially for the price.
actually what he said is completely true...you just didn't understand it.
he said the DESIGN is a COMPROMISE, never said the don't work, or they aren't reliable, they're just not very good at either horizontal or vertical operation...

actually what he said is completely true...you just didn't understand it.
he said the DESIGN is a COMPROMISE, never said the don't work, or they aren't reliable, they're just not very good at either horizontal or vertical operation...

Ok so now you've got me intrigued. What makes a dedicated H splitter that much better than a box store H/V splitter in H position? BTW folks, I have the funds to buy whatever I want, but I rarely splurge unless there is a compelling reason to do so. And my typical wood is lodge pole pine and usually under 15". My back tells me to be more careful these days.

Back