Why all the excitement over the DHT splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so now you've got me intrigued. What makes a dedicated H splitter that much better than a box store H/V splitter in H position? BTW folks, I have the funds to buy whatever I want, but I rarely splurge unless there is a compelling reason to do so. And my typical wood is lodge pole pine and usually under 15". My back tells me to be more careful these days.
All your going to split is pine and <15"? Sounds to me like a Super Split would be your best option. Fast, reliable, and light weight compared to hydraulic units and enough power to split hard wood that size.

I think the excitement is that a few of us purchased them. I had several conversations with them on here (private msg) and you can't get that service from many mfgs. Then we had the shipping snafu, and Lowes quickly reordered me a new one, gave me a 20% discount and couldn't have been better about it. DHT took it upon themselves to rush ship me a replacement and threw in a cover.

Someone mentioned a Dosko splitter........didn't even know they were a sponsor, let alone that they made splitters. I have never been accused of being a very observant bloke, but their little ad just blends into that row. Brave totally overpowers that area.

I tried every way to justify a "better" splitter. Took over a month for my wife to finally lay the law down.........Just buy something, I am sick and FN tired of seeing log splitters on the monitor! I had the total go ahead for whatever I wanted, and couldn't see the return at this time on the extra 2-4000 dollars.
It came down to me just starting this small business (cover to buy more saws) and the DHT is twice as fast as what I was borrowing, and as well built as any of the big store brands splitters. Their involvement here is what sold the splitter.

I believe that NorthStar, Powerhorse, Iron and Oak, Dosko, and GNE brands are all owned by Northern Tool (or a parent/captive company), even if several of these are not sold in their retail stores or catalogs. That does not mean that they are all the same quality - they are designed for different market segments, sales channels, and price points. As a privately held company, it is harder to find information on all of NT's holdings, than, say for Huysqvarna, but there are some news clippings and profiles. They recently purchased The Sportsmans Guide, The Golf Warehouse, and K&M Manufacturing according to news reports. I have heard them say that they are the largest single purchaser of small Honda engines in the US.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back