Why am I soaking my chains in oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had to dig chains out of the skidder dirt behind the seat that probably hadnt seen a saw in 10 years, completely rusted. After a few minutes of whacking and bending just to get it around the saw, and running it, it worked like any other chain would, and I got my other chain back. . .

056 Kid, +1 on that. I've dug them out of wet bark and dirt on the back of the flat bed and had them do just fine. The only time I have ever soak a chain is when I find one thats been left outside, in the back of the truck, etc that is damn near rusted toatlly stiff and then I'll throw it in some diesel to loosen it up. I can't imagine soaking new chains, I have the oiler turned wide open on every saw I have, never had a problem. At the rate we use our saws firewooding, with a chain getting sharpened a couple a time a day or more they don't last that long anyway. Biggest problem with chains is most people don't keep them sharp enough, which imho is harder on the chain,saw and user.

not for oiling

I don't think the soak is for pre-oiling...when I first read that on some directions or in a manual somewhere, I remember thinking, "Huh? My chain's already oily...it's covered in a light machine oil from the factory." Now though, after having used burnt motor oil to wash junk off and out of bar tips/grooves and chains (works okay on some saps too), I think that recommendation is to more clean away stray metal pieces from the assembly or sharpening process than pre-lube. In a production setting, this is next to worthless when compared to the time and effort expended. For a weekend warrior like me, I would say if it gained me a single extra cord of wood on a chain, it's worth it. I have all week to soak, drip and drain a handful of chains. I vote "It don't hurt"

I dont soak my chains, but if i`m putting a new chain on a dry bar i`ll run some bar oil along the top before cutting.Probably not necessary, but on a long bar straight into wood, it will run dry otherwise for a short period while the oiler catches up.

All my chains get soaked in JB lube (the warming kind)

Then before they go on the saw they get dipped in a bucket of gas

Make sure when pampering chains to use fully synthetic performance car oil, it's gotta be a 15W50, 10W40 won't work, the more expensive the better, the real best oil to soak your chains in is a synthetic diesel snake-oil 15W45 with just a pinch of axle grease, an onion and three drops of brandy thrown in. Left overnight, even a rocked and burred chain will be razor sharp by morning

If you toss your chains in the tray behind the seat and your water bottle leaks or you leave the sliding back glass open then you find it about 6mos later terpentine will loosen up a rusted chain better than wd-40.I don't like ####in with oily chains much.

Back