Why buy the same saw with with smaller engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’ve always been curious why someone would buy a smaller saw on the same chassis, say a Husky 365xp vs a 372xp. The 372 will be lighter (not enough to count, but less metal), and have more power, so why does the 365 exist? Same thing with the 61/266/272. Why wouldn’t you just get the bigger saw when you gain nothing by going smaller?

On the shelf price- often people will opt for the cheaper and not be too concerned with the power to weight difference.
Then you have development during that chassis life span- like the 61-272 scenario- the 61 was around for a LONG time (natural progression from the birth mother 162) and the 272 for a short run at the end of that chassis life time when those pesky varmints at Stihl dropped the 044 on the market and they needed an orange saw to compete- but the 372 was not developed yet.
Then you get different regions and markets- some will suit a slightly smaller CC that develops power differently, some need larger CC but on a body around the same size.

Same way you can have a family next door with three good looking daughters, same parents- but unless they are triplets- they dont all look the same- but are still good looking.

The 365 is also a farm/ranch saw. Like the 359 and others of that ilk. Most of then also share a bunch of common parts. so like Bob mentioned, it's more a price range thing then just performance or weight. If you can have 80% the same saw with 95% of the power of the Pro model, at 20%less cost, it would be attractive for that more then occasional user that doesn't want or need the pro model.

I think some families of saws were more renowned in their smaller displacements. It seems like a lot of people actually prefer the powerband of 266 vs the 272.

I myself usually prefer the larger displacement, as I can usually mod it to run how I want. A personal example of this, would be the whole 044 vs bb/hybrid debate. If we're talking un-modified cylinders, the stock 044 is much better. However a little machine work and some grinding, and I'll take the bb or the hybrid every time.

The 365 is also a farm/ranch saw. Like the 359 and others of that ilk. Most of then also share a bunch of common parts. so like Bob mentioned, it's more a price range thing then just performance or weight. If you can have 80% the same saw with 95% of the power of the Pro model, at 20%less cost, it would be attractive for that more then occasional user that doesn't want or need the pro model.

We forget that not everyone has a chainsaw fetish like most of us do. For most people, it's mostly about a saw that's "good enough" and at a certain price point. Locally...even though the 362 is still a "pro" saw in Stihl's line up, it seems like they are really popular with non-pro guys who want something better than a 291/391, but don't want to pay for a 400. They can put a 24" bar on it and it'll buck all the firewood they need.

It's not until it gets to those of us who are saw weirdos and/or heavy users, that we really care about getting the "best" saw in that class.

There was a time here when the 365 was selling for $500. but the 372 was $750. so a lot more 365`s sold from our local shop than the 372`s, the 365 did all what a 372 would do in the wood around here so it was a price point thing, same for most all makes of saws, not all users want or need the biggest bad ass saw made.

I think it's a mistake to lump the 365 and 359 into the farm and ranch saw category. Both had pro saw conatruction.

I think it's a mistake to lump the 365 and 359 into the farm and ranch saw category. Both had pro saw conatruction.

Bit like one mans SE is another mans XP. :laugh:
In my neck of the woods, the 359/365 (or superior 2159 and 2165) were classed "semi pro"- meaning pro style construction but the next model up/down was the full blown XP pro model of that line.
Thats why the 359 and 365 were not XP's although the 365 went as far as getting to be "special".

I think some families of saws were more renowned in their smaller displacements. It seems like a lot of people actually prefer the powerband of 266 vs the 272.

I myself usually prefer the larger displacement, as I can usually mod it to run how I want. A personal example of this, would be the whole 044 vs bb/hybrid debate. If we're talking un-modified cylinders, the stock 044 is much better. However a little machine work and some grinding, and I'll take the bb or the hybrid every time.

We forget that not everyone has a chainsaw fetish like most of us do. For most people, it's mostly about a saw that's "good enough" and at a certain price point. Locally...even though the 362 is still a "pro" saw in Stihl's line up, it seems like they are really popular with non-pro guys who want something better than a 291/391, but don't want to pay for a 400. They can put a 24" bar on it and it'll buck all the firewood they need.

It's not until it gets to those of us who are saw weirdos and/or heavy users, that we really care about getting the "best" saw in that class.

To be fair to the 266, there where a lot more of them Factory produced then the 272. But I’ve seen plenty of 266 big bores aka 272.

That was their intended market, it's not knocking them in the least, I own both saws and they are fine examples of well built saws. The price point is why they sold so much better then their pro counterparts. In my mind it doesn't get much more "semi pro" then a Farmer, Rancher, or wood cutter that needs a dependable saw at a certain price point.

Bit like one mans SE is another mans XP. :laugh:
In my neck of the woods, the 359/365 (or superior 2159 and 2165) were classed "semi pro"- meaning pro style construction but the next model up/down was the full blown XP pro model of that line.
Thats why the 359 and 365 were not XP's although the 365 went as far as getting to be "special".
To me the 359 was a better saw than the 357. Although I had limited run time on a 357. 357 never impressed me much.

To me the 359 was a better saw than the 357. Although I had limited run time on a 357. 357 never impressed me much.
Yep, exactly why I own and adore the 2159 version- because of my local conditions.
However, if either of us were professional tree fellers in say Scandinavia, the 357XP would have probably been our preference.

I’ve always been curious why someone would buy a smaller saw on the same chassis, say a Husky 365xp vs a 372xp. The 372 will be lighter (not enough to count, but less metal), and have more power, so why does the 365 exist? Same thing with the 61/266/272. Why wouldn’t you just get the bigger saw when you gain nothing by going smaller?

By your logic, why would anyone buy a car or truck without the biggest, most powerful engine available? Although it might be silly to see grandma wheeling into Piggly Wiggly in a 454 powered Nova, that is/was the biggest engine available in that vehicle. My grandfather bought a new Ford truck when I was a teenager with a six cylinder engine. I asked him why he didn't get the V-8 and he replied "why should I feed two more cylinders to go the same distance?"

Mike

My Dolmar dealer would talk you out of buying the 7900 by selling you a 6400 w/ a 7900 pc for the same price as just the 7900.

I have two questions to ponder.

How many Mac SP105's have you seen?
How many Mac SP125's have you seen?

Before buying 3 365's for resales I had worked with a few 372's that I decided I could live without. The 365's actually felt very good to me so i decided to keep 1 around and use up some good .058 gauge I have plenty of. It feels pretty sweet bucking 12 to 20in wood, meets my pace so doing and is fuel efficient. I like some saw weight when bucking and when logs are + 20in I like something bigger and more powerful then a 372.
If you are carrying the saw a lot like some fellers doing selective cutting all day, power to weight has a substantial advantage.
I always consider cost also . It's not just the initial extra 1 or $200 that concerns me. The saw might be smashed or stolen anytime and you would be doubling the extra cost replacing it.

@The Shooters Apprentice

365 ain’t smaller, just a smidge different porting. Can easily be made the same. More grunt lower rpm, maybe not as much high. Like the 359, more suited to being dogged like a farmer might vs. being allowed to rev like a logger might run a 357.

I think it’s a sales thing. @spike60 ?

I always thought it was like pickups- you could get a 6cyl, small block, or big block. Thing is, those had power/mileage trade offs. You don’t have to carry the truck, you have to carry the saw. I’d not want the small cc version myself, like a Dolmar 6421 vs. the 7900. That’s a heavy saw for only 60cc. Similar on the husky 61. I’d cruise one now but it would be that, a vintage cruiser. When they were new, if I was trying to get some work done, I’d not go with the small cc version. I think 61s got used for public works/utilities/large companies where budget was a concern and operators may not be very skilled. I know my 6421s that are now 7900s were rental saws.

I have always been curious about this also. Is the smaller displacement easier to achieve a higher rpm just less grunt??
Not usually. If you look at factory specs, most saws power or cutting RPM is 9,000 and max/4 stroke unloaded is 12,500. A good porter can change that.

61:
ecblank.gif
8,300 under load, 12,500 max free with bar and chain installed after break in

272 : Maximum 13,500 after break in, 9,300 under load

Latest posts

Back