Why buy the same saw with with smaller engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@The Shooters Apprentice

365 ain’t smaller, just a smidge different porting. Can easily be made the same. More grunt lower rpm, maybe not as much high. Like the 359, more suited to being dogged like a farmer might vs. being allowed to rev like a logger might run a 357.

I think it’s a sales thing. @spike60 ?

I always thought it was like pickups- you could get a 6cyl, small block, or big block. Thing is, those had power/mileage trade offs. You don’t have to carry the truck, you have to carry the saw. I’d not want the small cc version myself, like a Dolmar 6421 vs. the 7900. That’s a heavy saw for only 60cc. Similar on the husky 61. I’d cruise one now but it would be that, a vintage cruiser. When they were new, if I was trying to get some work done, I’d not go with the small cc version. I think 61s got used for public works/utilities/large companies where budget was a concern and operators may not be very skilled. I know my 6421s that are now 7900s were rental saws.
Depends on the model of 365. The "S" series was essentially the same as a 372. The normal 365 model was a different cylinder. Still a good saw.

I bought a used Husky 257 rather than the 357 because I wanted a saw that was a tad lighter and one that could be used instead of my Stihl MS361 that I wanted to preserve. I also saved over $100. I've never regretted the decision because the Husky 257 has performed so well. In fact, I seldom use the Stihl like I used to because the 257 keeps on going and going and going...

Not usually. If you look at factory specs, most saws power or cutting RPM is 9,000 and max/4 stroke unloaded is 12,500. A good porter can change that.

61:
ecblank.gif
8,300 under load, 12,500 max free with bar and chain installed after break in

272 : Maximum 13,500 after break in, 9,300 under load
I have a 61 that I've thought about putting a bigger top end on but wasn't sure it was worth the time. I think I may pull the trigger after this thread. I am almost finished with my 570-575xp upgrade. I made a muffler that is way to loud so will have to source an oem. I never ran the 570 so wouldn't know the difference made.

Thanks. Jason.

@The Shooters Apprentice

365 ain’t smaller, just a smidge different porting. Can easily be made the same. More grunt lower rpm, maybe not as much high. Like the 359, more suited to being dogged like a farmer might vs. being allowed to rev like a logger might run a 357.

I think it’s a sales thing. @spike60 ?

I always thought it was like pickups- you could get a 6cyl, small block, or big block. Thing is, those had power/mileage trade offs. You don’t have to carry the truck, you have to carry the saw. I’d not want the small cc version myself, like a Dolmar 6421 vs. the 7900. That’s a heavy saw for only 60cc. Similar on the husky 61. I’d cruise one now but it would be that, a vintage cruiser. When they were new, if I was trying to get some work done, I’d not go with the small cc version. I think 61s got used for public works/utilities/large companies where budget was a concern and operators may not be very skilled. I know my 6421s that are now 7900s were rental saws.
How many 6400's have you actually run for a day?

Mike

smaller capacity means easier start-up, less vibration and noise, often also cheaper and, as mentioned, the box will last longer if it is not seized first ;-)

Briggs Tecumseh, Kohler not so much ,did the market thing chainsaws do it all small engines do it. I never ran a 365 had no interest a detuned 372 to save the sale tax. HJC helmet market in 10 dollar scales and become a world leader in sales. Just the give and get

One thing guys gotta remember about the 365 and 372 is the oe vs xt the xt had dividers in the same bore size the oe was a different cylinder. I have several saws that the chassis can take several jugs but i dont change em unless they are damaged. I dont kill saws much so they just run.

I hear folks that love the original edition 365, some love a 372. I've only run a 371xp, same saw as a 372xp except for the two-ring piston in the 371. That said, I don't know what a good running OE 365 feels like.
I own several early 365 and special parts saws and one 371xp that need some love.
Currently, I cut with a completely stock 365 X-torq. Does all I need it to do as it is. I've got bigger saws to run longer bars if I need to.
I plan on putting the 371xp back to spec, and one of the 365 specials back to spec. Then, build one hot rod 372 on a 365 chassis. I ought to be able to make a proper assessment of the three saws then.

One thing guys gotta remember about the 365 and 372 is the oe vs xt the xt had dividers in the same bore size the oe was a different cylinder. I have several saws that the chassis can take several jugs but i dont change em unless they are damaged. I dont kill saws much so they just run.
But yeah, the pre "xt" version of the 365 has a smaller 48mm bore dia. than the 50mm 372xp, which a lot of folks love about that saw.
I am the same way, I don't strip a good running saw down just to put a "big bore" kit on it... so far.

I hear folks that love the original 365, some love a 372. I've only run a 371xp, same saw as a 372xp except for the two-ring piston in the 371. That said, I don't know what a good running early style 365 feels like.
I own several early 365 special parts saws and a 371xp that need some love.
Currently, I cut with a completely stock 365xt. Does all I need it to do as it is. I've got bigger saws to run longer bars if I need to.
I plan on putting the 371xp back to spec, and one of the 365 specials back to spec. Then, build one hot rod 372 on a 365 chassis. I ought to be able to make a proper assessment of the three saws then.

That statement could confuse people on here. When did we start using "oe" designation on here to identify the early 365 vs the later 365xt version? I must have missed that day in class, or just forgot.
But yeah, the pre "xt" version of the 365 has a smaller bore dia., and different porting than the 372xp, which a lot of folks love about that saw.
I am the same way though, I don't strip a good running saw down just to put a "big bore" kit on it... so far.
It should be a standard 365 with the small bore the 365 special started using the same top end with different transfer covers. The 365xt was the same as the 365 special as far as I know. Same displacement as a 372x torque.

It should be a standard 365 with the small bore the 365 special started using the same top end with different transfer covers. The 365xt was the same as the 365 special as far as I know. Same displacement as a 372x torque.
All the 365 specials I've seen were early version 365s with the small bore. What years of the special are you talking about? I thought the xt was the only 365 with same bore as 372.

All the 365 specials I've seen were early version 365s with the small bore. What years of the special are you talking about? I thought the xt was the only 365 with same bore as 372.
I'll have to look at the one I have left at the house it's a std 365 I think it has a 98 build date. All the special marked ones I've tinkered with had the 372 x tongue engine. The xt should have been the same.

Nah, the specials I've seen are the old version with a 48mm bore 65cc, and solid transfers(no plates). All the 365XTs are 70.1 ccs with removable transfer plates.

My sample size is pretty small, the regular 365 I have is small bore and the 2 or 3 specials I've worked on had removable transfers. as far as I ever knew the removable transfers were the 372 cylinder and larger bore.

My sample size is pretty small, the regular 365 I have is small bore and the 2 or 3 specials I've worked on had removable transfers. as far as I ever knew the removable transfers were the 372 cylinder and larger bore.
Cool. You've probably worked on more of them than I have, just Never saw the transfer plates until I started seeing the X-Torq saws just a few years ago. (time flies, it may be longer than I think) EDIT: X-torq arrived on the scene in 2010.
I know this thread is about using the smaller bore saws when larger bores are available on the same chassis, I just saw you have a 350 with a ported 346 top end, Haha. Goes to show, "size" isn't everything. :D
I know the 350 jugs can be ported to have a pretty fat torque curve, how do you like the ported 346 NE jug on your 350?

How many 6400's have you actually run for a day?

Mike
I have only run my ported 7900 (also ported 6100). I have a 2166 that I got ported as well. I’d not care to carry around a saw heavier than the 2166 with less power instead of a gob more like my 7900.

I hear they are grunty…I actually have one that needs crank seals etc that I bought for spare parts for my 7900…maybe I will try running it but not likely.

Im in nova scotia canada, our wood is kinda small here compared to western canada.
The smaller cc versions of saws are popular here, ie the 365 or old 61 huskys.
We just dont need big saws often but guys like the grunt of the 61 or 365 for blocking up firewood with a short bar. In these scenarios the extra cc of a 272 or 372 just dont matter much as they are not faster with short bars in small wood.

I have only run my ported 7900 (also ported 6100). I have a 2166 that I got ported as well. I’d not care to carry around a saw heavier than the 2166 with less power instead of a gob more like my 7900.

I hear they are grunty…I actually have one that needs crank seals etc that I bought for spare parts for my 7900…maybe I will try running it but not likely.

I did some stumping with my 6400 and a 28 inch bar. Didn't feel underpowered at all.
Made a believer out of ModifiedMark. He couldn't believe how well it pulled. The 6400 pulls like a much bigger saw. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Mike

Latest posts

Back