Why can't I get a Canadian maul handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slicksty6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My grandfather had a Garant 5# splitting maul that I inherited after his passing. I've used it consistently every year to work up firewood and have grown to really like the original axe style oak handle. Well now the handle is pretty well shot and I need a new one. I contacted Garant in Canada and they won't ship to the US, but the handle is available in hardware stores which also won't ship.
Why is this? Because it's wood?
I've looked at a bunch of handle suppliers online in the US but this handle has a "Canadian eye" that no one makes in an axe style handle.
Any thoughts?

Road trip. Or go to your local sawmill and buy an 8' 4x4 and start practicing your skills. The owner of a mill I worked for years ago gave me a rough blank he band sawed out of oak. After I sanded and fit the handle ( probably 3-4 hrs) I liked it better than any store bought I've ever had.

Yea I thought about taking the 4 hrs and driving over the border to the nearest supplier.
Maybe I'll just partner up with a woodworker and make one like you suggest....

Find someone over the border who knows enough about axes to pick out a good handle and pay them for their time to pick one out and mail it to you.

Better yet, buy two.

You could try posting in the Axe Refurb and/or splitting tool review thread as well to see if someone could help you out.

Some measurements or pictures would be helpful for those of us who don’t know what a Canadian eye is? Our local coop carried some type of maul handle with a large eye. I whittled one down a few years ago to fit a 5# rafting axe. Not oak though.

Ron

I am living in Montreal and would be glad to help you out [emoji4]Let me know what you need exactly and where it is sold here. I have a Rona and Reno depot nearby.

@coutufr That would be great!
The Rona part # is B7173605: Axe handle with 2-1/4 x 1-1/32" Canadian eye.
The Rona website shows this item available is several Montreal locations. May as well get 2.
I would be glad to paypal you for your expenses.

Attachments

• IMG_0927[1].JPG
    IMG_0927[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0929[1].JPG
    IMG_0929[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0930[1].JPG
    IMG_0930[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Are you certain that it will fit your axe or do you need me to take measurements and such? I will drive around, buy 2 and send you a picture of the receipt and handles so we are 100% certain this is what you need.[emoji3]

I posted pics of the head and Handle above. Can you see them? Never tried attachments before...

48e8d451c1cde0145815db1a5cef8781.jpg
39504608cc68e584f13071c0113eeece.jpg
be71100f7e09f6349788f28105a12365.jpg

Latest posts

Back