Why can't I sharpen my chain!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow, sharp chains matter! Finally got a chance yesterday to try out my "new" chain. Damn thing cut through oak like it was a balsa wood! Thanks Phil!
It's amazing what a sharp chain will do.
It cuts faster, uses less fuel, less wear on the engine, helps the chain to stay in adjustment longer, keeps the air filter cleaner....
It's a good idea to hit a chain with a file every couple tanks or as soon as you realize it's slowing down.
Hope you get lots of cutting done.
Be safe,
Brett

I get that. I have found lots of interesting things under the crud, grease, etc. on chains I receive.

Some guys only think about oil lubricating the drive links in the guide bar groove; I want it to reach the center part of the rivets as well, and the crud can block that.

Once they get that dirty, gotta clean them to see what is going on, to and make them work right. If you can keep them from getting that dirty in the first place, you are certainly ahead of the game.

Philbert
What do you clean them with?

It's amazing what a sharp chain will do.
It cuts faster, uses less fuel, less wear on the engine, helps the chain to stay in adjustment longer, keeps the air filter cleaner....
It's a good idea to hit a chain with a file every couple tanks or as soon as you realize it's slowing down.
Hope you get lots of cutting done.
Be safe,
Brett
So you went and bought a new one?

I just got the husqvarna file guide, I'm satisfied w/ it. I use to have a co-worker grind them for me, I felt bad asking him to do it. The files/handle in the husqvarna sharpening kit are very sharp/rigid. Now that I'm confident sharpening the chains I just do a quick touch up every 3-5 tanks. My saw always cuts good now.

What do you clean them with?
Yeah I buy that super clean by the 5 gal pal from the HD. Cleans about everything, just watch it on aluminum as it is so acidic it eats the finish off the blocks if its too strong. Also where a good pair of rubber gloves as it likes to destroy you dish pan hands lol.

There is a guy that shows up at most of the major storm response events and his ministry is simply to sharpen the chains for those Disaster Response groups who are clearing trees
That was not me.

Oregon shows up with a trailer, grinders, and some reps, periodically at large disasters, and does free sharpening and minor chainsaw repairs.

I have also run across well-meaning individuals, who go around and offer to sharpen other people’s chainsaws. Some might know what they are doing, and others . . . are well-intentioned.

After a disaster everyone starts dragging out their long neglected saws, and a lot of them need help.

Philbert

That was not me.

Oregon shows up with a trailer, grinders, and some reps, periodically at large disasters, and does free sharpening and minor chainsaw repairs.

I have also run across well-meaning individuals, who go around and offer to sharpen other peoples chainsaws. Some might know what they are doing, and others . . . are well-intentioned.

After a disaster everyone starts dragging out their long neglected saws, and a lot of them need help.

Philbert
Yes sir, you are correct. We attempt to blow out and sharpen our saws before we return home from our departures. We have been blessed by donors to have almost 30 Stihls from 170-661 and sev poles. They’re much more likely to donate again if we take care of their donations. I’ll find the info on the Wandering DR chain sharpener guy and post. Thank you for your reply.

I had to learn a lot about maintaining sauce, and especially chains, doing disaster work. Dealers are overwhelmed, and parts are hard to find. As volunteers, we also did not have lots of money to throw around.

But those basic maintenance and service principles apply to every day work too.

Philbert

I had to learn a lot about maintaining sauce, and especially chains, doing disaster work. Dealers are overwhelmed, and parts are hard to find. As volunteers, we also did not have lots of money to throw around.

But those basic maintenance and service principles apply to every day work too.

Philbert
Yep, it ain't no joke when you have problems with the sauce :eek: , but when you get it right :sweet::lol:.
Recently learned one of the guys at church is a lead guy for organizing Michigans volunteers for FEMA.
Funny thing is I'm supposed to be swinging y his place to help with a hung up tree, he's already had his saw stuck in it :surprised3:, but got it out :). Curious to see what I'm getting myself into, guessing it will fall like all the others though.

Latest posts

Back