Why do Dolmars have such a hard time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say marketing. Don't see anywhere near as many ads for Dolmar as you do for 'Lux & Stihl.

As for quality, it should be top-notch... they've been building saws as long as anyone. I have yet to hear a Dolmar owner regretting.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.  Look what it can do for an inferior product such as Microsoft!

Yep, you could build the worlds best chainsaw, and it wont sell unless you market it right. Its ALL about how you market something, if you do a good job with advertisments, it'll sell real well, if you make a crappy ad, that could be beaten by a 3year old with a crayon, then its gonna fail.

I love Microsoft !!

I love Microsoft :p pity the rest didn't git off their fat butts and beat him to the punch, yes Windows has a few prob's but if smarted xxxxx people stopped plotting the downfall of Bill Gates and Windows the world more than likely would be a much happier place.
Learning another Operating System is like learning another language ( like Arabic to English ).
And last but not lest you would have nothing to winge about.

Go cut down a tree

Bob.

That's funny, Bob.  Are you aware that Microsoft have innovated nothing?  They take other people's stuff, maybe make a couple of changes, and market it.  It started with MS-DOS, which they bought for pennies on the dollar and licensed to IBM for the original IBM-PC.

Operating Systems do indeed differ, but using them is largely the same.&nbsp; If you'd ever tried anything different you'd readily have seen the inferiority of the system which all the major PC makers have to install, by itself only, on all or none of each their product lines.&nbsp; <i>That's</i> marketing.

Glen

I hadn't intended on taking my initial thought any further when I made it.&nbsp; But the notion being presented that MS are <i>leading the way</i> was too much to go unanswered.&nbsp; Better stuff has been available since before Bill got predatory.

Glen

I happen to believe that with the right amount of hype and fluff they can sell snow to Eskimos. All they have to do is rename the stuff, convince one out of a hundred that theirs is colder or whiter, and bingo somebody makes a ton of money. I think that if Dolmer top brass had the foresight to pour money into dealer networks (big discounts, lots of incentives for startups) and then backed that up by spending megabucks on advertising for several YEARS they might start to make a dent. In Dolmers case, the product would sell itself if it had the support. I have Stihls and Husky's because I can drive to a Stihl or Husky dealer within 10 minutes.

Microsoft... sorry, but can't let this pass...yes I have it on my computer(s) but I curse at it every other day. Too much of it just doesn't work as advertised, and the stuff that does is best described as "bloatware" where a team of MS people throw tons of code at an app to patch up all the holes inherent in it. Sure they are an easy target, but much of it is deserved. Their latest "phone home" nonsense really turns me off. Another discussion, this is CHAINSAWS.

Dave

If you want dealer support, try buying one. Everybody says, "Oh sure, Dolmar's are great, but I don't want one because there are no dealer's." There needs to be DEMAND before anyone will invest in selling Dolmar. Some of that is marketing. The dealer's can't afford to do the marketing, so if Dolmar wants to increase market share, Dolmar needs to invest some dollars into marketing.

That's funny, Bob. Are you aware that Microsoft have innovated nothing? They take other people's stuff, maybe make a couple of changes, and market it.
So what. Its the same thing the japanese do. Take a technology invented somewhere else perfect and sell it. Its actually smart business.
BTW dont you think windows ease of use has something to do with its success?

Tony, I here what your saying, but the consumer isnt going to support a product. Dolmar needs to first build products people want, then they need to invest in dealer networks and marketing. The consumer will never do this for them.

i would be happy with easy access to either, though I'm thinking I would get laughed out of camp if someone saw me packing a Makita into my strip, might stop laughing when I let'em use it to cut their stuck saw with the spare bar on it out though. :)

bwalker said:
Take a technology invented somewhere else perfect and sell it. Its actually smart business.
BTW dont you think windows ease of use has something to do with its success?
The first would be a good analogy IF MS ACTUALLY PERFECTED ANYTHING!&nbsp;

The "ease of use" merely means "familiarity" in this case.&nbsp; Just stepping up to something, it will always be easier for you to use if you're already familiar with it, but try using something actually <i>good</i> for a while, then sit down in front of a Windows box and tell me you don't feel like you've just been told to clear an acre of woods using a Poulan Wild Thing instead of an EHP 7900.

Sure there are, but they are not of much use when you are trying to get a saw up and running for the next day.
Put it this way. Say my Husky 372 has a base gasket fail. No problem, run down to the local dealer and pic one up, or in a worst case scenario he will pull one off a saw he has in the showroom.
Same thing happens witha 7900 and you are waiting for weeks for parts. Trust me I know...

Is there even a Dolmar dealer on the West coast? I have not ever seen a Dolmar dealer so far. Could be their biggest problem is lack of dealerships.

Latest posts

Back