Why do people do stuff like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause they don't know any better...

One thing also that I saw in that first video was that he at one point takes his thumb and instead of having it around the handle, He lays it up alongside the handle parallel with it. (right about 1:14)

I see this a lot from people who run chainsaws. From the inexperienced to even, sometimes, experienced users. I try to 'tactfully' tell them that it's not the best practice, and explain that if for some reason that saw did give you a violent kickback and the inertia activation on the chainbrake didn't work your grip on the front handle would be much more prone to slipping.

Heck, even if the inertial chain brake did work, I would much rather be holding that saw with two hands than just the one on the trigger acting as a wonderful pivot point.

and.. usually when I point it out, they didn't even relize or know they were doing that way and agree that having a thumb around that front handle makes good sense

Last edited:
One thing also that I saw in that first video was that he at one point takes his thumb and instead of having it around the handle, He lays it up alongside the handle parallel with it. (right about 1:14)

I see this a lot from people who run chainsaws. From the inexperienced to even, sometimes, experienced users. I try to 'tactfully' tell them that it's not the best practice, and explain that if for some reason that saw did give you a violent kickback and the inertia activation on the chainbrake didn't work your grip on the front handle would be much more prone to slipping.

Heck, even if the inertial chain brake did work, I would much rather be holding that saw with two hands than just the one on the trigger acting as a wonderful pivot point.

and.. usually when I point it out, they didn't even relize or know they were doing that way and agree that having a thumb around that front handle makes good sense
back in 1989 I got wrote up and warned for that (improper saw use) I still today find myself doing it once in a while and when I do I correct myself....

The saddest part is that this guy can't use a chainsaw to save himself yet posts videos of it?

That guy is gonna hurt himself. I find it odd that the chain brake never went off???

Have you ever tried to set a chainbrake off? It is a lot lot harder on most saws than you think. In all the bar tip kickbacks I've had, apart from clipping the handle with a branch or something, I've only ever set the brake off on my 390XPG a couple of times, she's real easy to set off.

Really? Ive tripped them on every saw I ran that had one. My 372 was a down right pita sometimes. .

the guy in the vid has no buisness putting up videos unless they are "what not to do" flicks. . .

Really? Ive tripped them on every saw I ran that had one. My 372 was a down right pita sometimes . .

Yeah seriously mate. I've had some pretty strong tip kickbacks and no cigar. Like I said though, I think the more they are used, the more likely they are to trip.
I very rarely use my chainbrakes while moving around with a running saw as the majority of my cutting is on flat ground. My 390XPG chainbrake feels well worn in as I have a feeling it was probably an ex logger saw before I got my mitts on it off Brad :)

at least it won't be any great loss when he does himself in.

Man, that guy is danger. They should show those vids at safety meetings :)

Just 2 more reasons why I'm extraordinarily particular about who I go cutting with, and who I actually feel comfortable cutting around at any time. There is an art to sawing but, you don't have to be a Picasso with the implement to be successful. It just requires a healthy dose of common sense, reason, and situational awareness. A basic knowledge of your own personal abilities coupled with a willingness to acknowledge and try not to exceed them, is critical in an endeavor like this. Or in short form,... Watch your *** and try not to hack off anyone else's!
-Bryan

I see veterinarian bills in his future, that poor dog is doomed.
That's what I'm saying! He doesn't have his safety gear on, so why would you expect him to maybe put the dog in the truck or the house or tie him up while he's sawing....:monkey:

I have my pups out when I cut, but not where I'm going to step on them or cut them accidentally.

Latest posts

Back