Why do these leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a stihl 660 and a 200t that seem to leak ONLY when they are in the back of my truck getting moved around a little. They are not overturning but just a little rocking and bumpy ride seem to make oil come out from them some where. If I take them out and clean up the oil, let them sit there ,then no leak. Also it is not from using them and the excess oil is dripping. I have cleaned them then put them in the truck and there they go again,,leak. Both are made in Germany. Any ideas? Oh yea..the shop put gas/oil mix in the oil chamber to see if they could find it but it didn't leak just sitting there.

I gotta be honest, and I may get slammed for this, but all of my saws "leak" to some extent or another. Some weep, and one outright leaks. I've come to see it as normal. And unless you entirely degrease your saws after use, there will always be bar oil hiding somewhere, waiting to settle out. Unless you've got a standing puddle around the saw after it sits for a few hours, I woudlnt' worry about it.

I'm a little confused about this statment though-

"If I take them out and clean up the oil, let them sit there ,then no leak"

Sounds like residual oil to me, but perhaps I'm reading that incorrectly.

OK everyone, slam me....:buttkick:

Jeff

Let me guess. They end up in the truck after use? Try this next time you are done cutting. Pop the oil cap loose and then reinstall it. When the saw is warm (operating temp) and you shut it down. The oil tank is slighly pressurized and will cause it to seep out the oil hole, or down between the guide plate and bar. Mine use to leak like that and after trying the cap thing, they don't leak any more. The huskies on the other hand just seem to seap oil.....

fishhuntcutwood said:
I gotta be honest, and I may get slammed for this, but all of my saws "leak" to some extent or another. Some weep, and one outright leaks. I've come to see it as normal. And unless you entirely degrease your saws after use, there will always be bar oil hiding somewhere, waiting to settle out. Unless you've got a standing puddle around the saw after it sits for a few hours, I woudlnt' worry about it.

I'm a little confused about this statment though-

"If I take them out and clean up the oil, let them sit there ,then no leak"

Sounds like residual oil to me, but perhaps I'm reading that incorrectly.

OK everyone, slam me....:buttkick:

Jeff
I figure the same thing, big deal, who cares, wet spots are no big deal (unless they are on your side of the bed)

Not to be a smart ass but where are the leaks? I've got a couple Stihls (200 and 460) with the new style caps and noticed if I'm not real careful its easy to get the sealing area compromised with chips, dirt or saw dust. It doesn't take much to get a weeper. I now fill up at the site and try to avoid traveling or putting away with fuel above the cap level. I like the old screw on caps better to be honest. woojr

No..No...If i do not use them,, take off the bar, chain clean really well and let thgem sit there then no oil. Now If i put them in my truck after they have sat there at my house when they don't leak,,,they start leaking alot after i have ridden around a while. For some reason the shaking and bumps make them leak. Now keep in mind that I haven't used them , they are cleaned up , and start to leak in the truck. One shop can't figure it out. I can't either. I know that if you run a saw you will have residual oil leaking, but that is not what we have here.

Clearance I think you would wonder if you had a leak that was about 16" long going down your truck bed and under the saw you had a puddle,,not a spot.

dogdad said:
No..No...If i do not use them,, take off the bar, chain clean really well and let thgem sit there then no oil. Now If i put them in my truck after they have sat there at my house when they don't leak,,,they start leaking alot after i have ridden around a while. For some reason the shaking and bumps make them leak. Now keep in mind that I haven't used them , they are cleaned up , and start to leak in the truck. One shop can't figure it out. I can't either. I know that if you run a saw you will have residual oil leaking, but that is not what we have here.

Same deal as the warm saw theroy.....Shake a pop can and what happens when you open it? By driving down the road, you are in a sense, shaking the pop can and causing some pressure to build. It has to go somewhere...

I'd say it all sounds normal. They all leak, but shouldn't leak to th point where it empties the oil tank....

Steve

dogdad said:
Clearance I think you would wonder if you had a leak that was about 16" long going down your truck bed and under the saw you had a puddle,,not a spot.
Does the saw still have oil in the tank when the gas runs out?, that is what really matters.

Freakingstang, where do you get cardonated bar oil??? I would say if the saw sits at fairly even temp it wont leak (as in your 50 deg shop) but say in the back of a truck it may warm up enough to cause expansion and a leak.

Try this bring the saw in from the shop and set it by your wood stove and see what happens.

Or just get the high compression oil cap that Gypo sells.

Rotax

They are just jealous of your truck and trying to mark their territory.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll try harder nest time. :(

:hmm3grin2orange:

I will go along with Heat expands Theory. I would also check and see if that
metal plate between your bar and saw is setting flush to saw. I sanded both saw and plate to make a better contact surface.
Use a sanding block.

Somtimes yes sometimes no

I found that sometimes my saws leak out by the chain and other times they don't. The pressure thery sounds likely to me. But then I only have a few saws:chainsaw:

One factor may be that the oil pumps have no real valves in them, they work much like a piston ported jug does. The ports are open most of the time, thus there is about an 1/8th inch passage to the oil tank that is open. Temp. variation, level, and vibration can start the oil flowing. Also there can be a lot of oil hung up on the bar and chain that will start to run off. Some saws do seem to leak more than others.

Back