Why do we do what we do??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've been thinking the last few days, why do we do what we do? I know we all need to make a living, we all have bills to pay and families to feed, but I'm talking deeper than that. For example, it was 5 degrees this morning with 20+ mph winds. I Run an old air track, no cab, just me and the elements. I'm not stupid, I have a college education, a degree in business management with a minor in computer science, I could be in a warm office getting fat and drinking coffee, but that's not for me. I love being outside, I love drilling and blasting rock and the challenges that come with it. I could make a lot more money in an office, but I'd be unhappy. I'm getting ready to head out of town for a couple weeks on a nice challenging job, but I have to leave my little girls with my folks. I hate this part of my job, maybe that's what's got me thinking, why do I do this job. Is it worth it to be happy and miserable at the same time? Is it worth it to stand out in freezing conditions all winter and 100 degree temps in the summer?

Yes.

I'm sorta stuck doing both right now, indoors with all the drama that morons bring in from the cold just to make it through the day, idiotic bosses that can't do their job let alone yours...

Or outside with a screaming saw, alone, that orange/punkin smell of fresh killed hemlock or the somethings off pine of a doug fir... torn up dirt, a little breeze to keep you cool, a camp robber to keep ya company... fresh berries on the bush, fresh mushrooms on the ground, fresh deer on the hoof...

or piped in air, contaminated oil, burned steel, and lest we not forget morons.... surrounded by morons...

? for your answer? !! hell yes, them little girls life means more to you and your wish's for what ever they might be !! it all comes down with one answer !" THIS IS WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO " for them!!! yours will come with the site of your girls doing well in their ventures! best dad!!

Is it worth it? In a word. YES.

I think it's different for everyone, and the same for everyone all at the same time. You're right, more money to be made else where. But it's an unhappy life. I don't expect to ever be able to go back into the woods as I want again. I can say and joke all I want, but what I really want is to be back in the woods. Saying and joking is a way for me to handle the reality. I chose my kids over the woods. Getting busted up a few years back is having life lasting/changing effects, brush work wasn't worth the kids, not in my eyes anyhow.

Truth be told, there are a very few things I don't miss. I do miss it everyday though. Even the bad was worth it. Like we all know and "get it", but can't really explain so others who don't, can understand.

You know it and everyone else knows it. It's worth it. Sometimes, some circumstance, worst of all, you can't get away from it. There have been times I really wished and prayed I could get it out of me. That my friend is a losing battle, that ain't gonna happen.

You know what you need to do. Keep go'in ahead on'er.

Owl

Northmanlogging I know what you are saying, I love being on the job before the dozers and scrapers, alone just me and my drill. I love the sound of my drill when she's singing and throwing a cloud of rock dust. I love that grit in my bald head and beard. I love the smell of nitro and burnt ANFO.

And Chucker, I also love taking my girls out and cutting a load of wood, teaching them to build a fire with some pitch and pine needles. Or sitting by a warm fire in the living room with them, watching one of their goofy cartoons like we did this weekend.

So I guess for me yes it is worth it. It's something I love, rain or shine, I know I'll be out there. But it's also worth it because when I get home and see my little girls it makes it that much more special.

Like we all know and "get it", but can't really explain so others who don't can understand
Owl

Owl THATS exactly it. We all get it but we can't really explain it. I have tried and tried and it just never comes out right. It's not just a paycheck, it's more than that.

Mon thru Thur. I come home with a headache and a clenched jaw.

Fri thru Sun I come home with a few bruises a couple of sratches and some sore muscles, but I'm usually smiling or at least in a good mood, Its not much but I'm sure the wife likes the weekends better (course she would probably like it better if I wasn't off working all the damn time... but I'll get to that)

Yep I've got the college education too. Honors, the whole bit. I really could have done anything I wanted. That was all too easy for me though. The more I did it, the more I hated it. Workin inside in the city makes my skin crawl. That and I don't really like people all that much. Most people anyway. Theres nothin like the crashing any where else.

I agree Bitzer, cities full of people bother me. I feel trapped and I hate that. This new job site is on the edge of a small city, next to the freeway and a big high school. I have 800 holes to drill to blast 27000 yards of rock. This will be a enjoyable job because nobody wants to come around a noisy dusty rock drill so I'll be alone! Hahaha

I wasn't able to get much of an education, but I really prefer working inside, with decent climate control, preferably surrounded my morons. The morons make me feel better about myself

Hahaha morons tend to anger me because they never want to leave me alone. I hate being angry, Id rather the morons just not piss me off, it's better for all involved. Today is a prime example

We do this because we didn't get enough Top Ramen and Mac and Cheese in college.....

I had a job running loader at a sawmill years ago. 65 hours per week average. 6 am to 6 pm for a week and then 6 pm to 6 am for a week. $10 per hour. The guys I worked with and the foreman where just plain exceptional. All of them. I was completely worn out all the time. At a certain point after the company lied one time too many I decided to quit. When I left my coworkers all tried to get me to go work in the woods. I truly wish I had listened to them. Better late than never!

Latest posts

Back