Why do you hate the MS 280?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to thank you folks...the general disinterest in the MS 280 has resulted in DISCOUNTED PRICES around here for this fine saw :) . Is it a semi-pro saw or a piece of crap...Please tell me. As a homeowner/firewood cutter I like it much better than the 029 and MS 290. I'm not a pure Stihl fan (fanatic) and have no business interest here but my experience with this saw has been very good. The only negative comment I can make is that the starter pull is pretty hard...must be related to high compression with no compression release.

Question for the experts...what is the problem with with this saw other than specifications? Has anyone here broken one in and used it in the field? My 031 talks alot louder but can't keep up in the wood. The 031 has a 20 inch 3/8 setup, the 280 with 18 inch .325. Not looking for a rumble but what's up. Hmm...what if the profit margine to the dealers is better for the MS 290/310?

Let err ripp!

I dont personally hate it, jsut dont trust a saw that isnt a PRO machine. I prefer magnesium cases on my saws over a plastic, or horizontally split case.

I'm not saying its a bad saw, cause I really dont know, I guess I have to try one out, and see for myself if I like it or not.

16 gauge to much is being made on here this site of non pro series saw. All the tech's here that have been with Stihl will tell you that saws such as the 029-MS290 are amongst the toughest saws ever built ( but not so easily rebuildable like a magnesium crankcased pro series saws ). Like all other saw manufacturers Stihl need to supply models for all needs and price ranges and they do so. Purchasing the right saw for your needs is the key to saw happiness, no use speding $$ on lots more saw than you really require. I am told that Stihl sell lots more consumer types saws around the world than their main competitors.

If you are not earning a living day in day out with your saw and are going to use yourself and maintain it yourself go ahead I am sure it will do a great job for you. Many users have posted their satisfaction with Stihl mid-range saws on this site, they also could not understand the reticence.

I personnally would not hesitate to buy one as it is about the same weight a the great Stihl 026's & MS260 saws and has 0.1 more pony and if it turns out to be as dependable as the old 028 (rebuildability factor aside) it will make a lot of people very saw happy.

If you can purchase it discounted also, that makes it an even sweeter saw and deal.

Two good posts above. I agree that it's not a professional grade saw, but that doesn't mean it's not a good saw. OSA mentiond the horizontally split, non-magnesium case, and those are two good points. Lobo mentioned the rebuildability of it, much along the lines of the 029/290. I think for firewood and homeowner use, it's a fine saw.

Jeff

Ms280

I don't hate it, I have no reason to - as I have never used one....

But, according to published data the 280 weighs closer to the 361 than to the 260, and power output is closer to the 260.
If you compare it to the 029/290 instead the numbers looks a lot better though.
There has also been compaints that the anti-wibe on the 280 is too soft.

I think that this model (280) has some sort of identity problem, as it looks like a pro saw (white rear handle), despite the fact that it isn't. :alien:

Last edited:
Look at the prices too, on stihl 2005 link. 280 cost more then the 290 or 310. 280 is $50-$80 more.

Hey, has anyone who offered an opinion(this means not you SawTroll) on the 280 in this thread besides 16gauge ever used an MS 280, never mind owned one? Nope? Didn`t think so! :laugh: So how do any of you proclaim the saw to be good, bad or indifferent? Atleast Lawn Masters and SawTroll are qualifying their judgement of the saw on it`s specs.

Lobo said:
......saws such as the 029-MS290 are amongst the toughest saws ever built.....
:laugh: :laugh:

The 280(which I have owned, briefly) seems to be a much better(antivibe, engine construction, air filtration) saw than the 290. And as SawTroll points out it is lighter than the 290 with about the same power. Now all Stihl has to do is lower the price some and they will have a winner for the firewood crowd.

Yours truly, Russ

I've ran one before Russ, although briefly over a couple of afternoons, as it was a friend's saw. I of course didn't time any cuts, or mess with the muffler or carb. We were just in his back yard, cutting firewood. The saw seemed fine for firewood and homeowner use, which is why I stated that in my post, based on my experience with it, albeit limited.

16gauge asked about what the deal with the saw was other than specs, and I echoed what was said about it's case and rebuildability, which are both true, regardless of us not having logged 100 hours of use behind it.

So I do think it's a fine saw, and just like the 290/310/390 (I've run the 029 at length, and owned a 310 so I feel qualified to comment on each) I think it's very good in it's intended role. Though it's not a timber or professional saw-it wasn't meant to be.

Jeff

16gauge said:
Is it a semi-pro saw or a piece of crap...Please tell me.

Question for the experts...what is the problem with with this saw other than specifications?

Let err ripp!

Basically the above were the 2 main points of 16gauge's post.

I attempted to answer both.

Congrats on purcahsing a fine saw 16 gauge. Please keep us informed on a regular basis on your new saw.

Nuff said!

fishhuntcutwood said:
Two good posts above. I agree that it's not a professional grade saw, but that doesn't mean it's not a good saw. OSA mentiond the horizontally split, non-magnesium case, and those are two good points. Lobo mentioned the rebuildability of it, much along the lines of the 029/290. I think for firewood and homeowner use, it's a fine saw.

Jeff

I concur - good post...

Hey I admit that I wanted to stir you guys up a bit, but I also have a pet peeve regarding people who make assumptions without any qualifying experience and preach them as fact. I admit that I`ve done it and normally ended up regretting it. Are any of you guys saying this sort of answer is OK when You ask the questions?

I think that the dubious rebuildability of saws with a horizontally split case is primarily moot as long as the buyer knows what they are buying. Vertically split cases are inherently stronger, easier and cheaper to do a top end rebuild on, and more costly to produce, but the reality is that most saws that aren`t used daily never need a rebuild.

Another difference is that the 280 seems to rev better than the 290/310/390. This might however, be a very subjective preference on my part. Some guys will like a slightly lower and wider powerband.

The 280 is sleek when compared to the 290, and lightweight too. The 290 feels like a club in my hands where as the 280 feels pretty good. The 280 also seems to keep the air filter cleaner, has Stihl learned something?

As SawTroll mentioned, the anti-vibe leaves something to be desired. It is fairly effective in reducing felt vibration, but it is spongy as hell and I just don`t like that part.

I think that the 280 is a good example of what people should expect when buying a mid priced farm/semi-pro saw from Stihl. My only beef is that the retail price seems a little steep.

FWIW, I never modified anything on my 280, just removed the carb screw limiters and corrected the factory induced anemia. I recently sold the 280 to a friend who has extensive run time on the ms290 of another friend. The friend who bought the 280 is ecstatic.

Russ

My boss at the store told me if I ever replaced my 290 to replace it with a 270/280. He seems to like his a lot. I'd say you can't go wrong for intermediate use.

Justin

jokers said:
...... I think that the 280 is a good example of what people should expect when buying a mid priced farm/semi-pro saw from Stihl. My only beef is that the retail price seems a little steep. ........
At least over here the 270/280 hasn't been very popular, the 270 was in fact dropped from the line-up for 2005.
I think the priceing is at least part of the reason, as the 280 is priced about midway beteen the basic 260 and the 361.
I simply don't think it is worth it's price. Mid-range saws at pro saw price doesn't have much appeal.....

280 is heavy and weak (ie homeowner saw)

My 041 S is a tank (last forever), but compared to todays saws the weight to pawer ratio sucks. My 260 will cut circles around the 041S and weigh considerbly less.

The Stihl saws worth owning:
200T
The rest are homeowner saws (ie heavy and weak)

I don't much care for the 880. I've never had a use for one. It's slow and heavy.

DirtTroll said:
The Stihl saws worth owning:
200T
The rest are homeowner saws (ie heavy and weak)
:blob5: The 361 that you omitted from your list is definitely not heavy and weak, and in no way a homeowner saw.

SawTroll said:
:blob5: The 361 that you omitted from your list is definitely not heavy and weak, and in no way a homeowner saw.

Haven't played with one yet. So, no judgement from me. I think stihl tried to fill a non-existent hole between the the 260 and 440.

SawTroll said:
At least over here the 270/280 hasn't been very popular, the 270 was in fact dropped from the line-up for 2005.
I think the priceing is at least part of the reason, as the 280 is priced about midway beteen the basic 260 and the 361.
I simply don't think it is worth it's price. Mid-range saws at pro saw price doesn't have much appeal.....

This sounds as a very interesting. Not far from you 270 is available and in-line now. More, 290/310/390 are not sold here never by the official Sthils distributor!
v.

Back