Why DRT for newbies?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beochie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting into climbing and I'm planning I'm making a pretty decent order from tree stuff today. After adding it all up I cant figure out why DRT? I'm looking to get up and down a rope easy, fast,and ..cheap in that order (I'm sure everyone is). After adding it up I can figure out why DRT?

DRt hitch climber-
50-hitch climber pully
20 carabiner to tail
20-carabiner harness to hitch climber
25-looped end on main line

$115

SRT rope wrench

125-RR w/tether
20-carabiner of hich climber 50
20-pully
20-hitch

$185 or $235

or what I think I'm going to go with
SRT Hitch Hiker
-160 HH

Easy and fast should not be considerations. Knowing what your doing, being physically fit enough to do it, should always come before shelling out big bucks.
Climbing knowledge, muscles, then shell out the big bucks.

thanks for the replies, I figure I'd spend the money for ascenders on any of the above system so why not SRT. I agree with Ecotreeco about the climbing knowledge being very important but I think you are off with the muscle thing. why work harder when you can spend 100 bucks and make your life easier? kinda segues from the "work smarter not harder" saying.

Todays commercial aircrafts like a 767 will take off and fly then land almost all by them selfs. I could probably fly one. Todays pilots problably don't get as much experience really flying. Lucky for those on that flite 1549 that landed on the on the hudson river, They had a old school well trained pilot, or it would of been disaster on the hudson. Well rest assured one day your hudson landing will have to happen, with out the experence and muscle to do it basic, will your landing be a success or disaster?

thanks for the replies, I figure I'd spend the money for ascenders on any of the above system so why not SRT. I agree with Ecotreeco about the climbing knowledge being very important but I think you are off with the muscle thing. why work harder when you can spend 100 bucks and make your life easier? kinda segues from the "work smarter not harder" saying.

Here's a senario. You are footlocking DRT on ascenders. You are half way up the line and you run out of gas. You no longer have the energy to take a lock and hold it to put your figure-8 on to descend. You are stuck. You can't go up or down because you are not in shape enough. Think about it.

While this job does entail working smarter, you still have to have the muscle to do it.

Trust me that ascenders are no replacement for fitness. Just wait till you get up the tree, spend and hour in it, and are so fatigued that you can't even pry your hands off your saw or rope.

In my opinion, for someone with no climbing experience, Ddrt is more intuitive and forgiving, especially once you are in the tree. I've only trained a couple of people to climb, but the toughest part is having them completely trust their equipment and ropes. I think that it's easy to sit behind a computer and say I'll trust this single rope on a 40' ascent, but a whole different thing when you are standing at the bottom of the tree.

I would suggest the OP get a rope and practice some knots. Then go with a basic set up, rope, couple of biners, and I2I and a micropulley. It's pretty cheap and then he can practice getting comfortable in the tree.

All our new climbers start on a blakes, then upgrade when they get more comfortable working in the tree.

It would be tough to make a big investment in gear and then find you have vertigo or get locked up when you get higher in the tree.

I'm looking into getting into climbing and I'm planning I'm making a pretty decent order from tree stuff today. After adding it all up I cant figure out why DRT? I'm looking to get up and down a rope easy, fast,and ..cheap in that order (I'm sure everyone is). After adding it up I can figure out why DRT?

DRt hitch climber-
50-hitch climber pully
20 carabiner to tail

$115

SRT rope wrench

125-RR w/tether
20-pully
20-hitch

$185 or $235

SRT Hitch Hiker
-160 HH
hitch climber is a great idea. if you are starting out you should learn old school and traditional systems first. A lot of new climbers are starting out with all of the industries new innovations which is good but all people climbing trees should know what to do with just a rope and a saddle or even just a rope. this is not to say innovation devices and configurations shouldn't be used but for safety purposes you should know what to do get yourself or co worker/climber out of a tree with just a rope!

DRt hitch climber-
50-hitch climber pully
20 carabiner to tail

$115

SRT rope wrench

125-RR w/tether
20-pully
20-hitch

$185 or $235

SRT Hitch Hiker
-160 HH
you should try Baileys Inc in Cali.

ehu7uvuh.jpg
rope wrench hella legit .....

DRT with a blakes hitch. how much cheaper and safer can you get? hip thrust about 30 feet up and see how you feel. physically and mentally.

rope
carabiner

Being able to make a prusik out of the end of your rope is handy knowledge too

Say you've only got one functioning arm up top?

What descending knot can you tie with one hand to reach the ground, assuming you have a rope of sufficient length?

Old school rules....

jomoco

Back