why is my new husky 359 so hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 353 usually needs a couple of pulls with the choke on then one or two without and it fires right up. First pull every time warm without choke. The manual (Canadian if that matters) calls for 91 octane and that's what it gets. Totally reliable. Twenty pulls is a joke.

Joe

Tell me about it my arm harts after I get it started I have to let it run so I get the feeling back in my arm.Don't get me wrong I love the saw I think it is because of how cold it is.-25 to -30 below without the wind chill tonight.

Last edited:
Definitely worth trying. Although my 353 is a gem to start, my MS361 hasto be started exactly like that. If you wait for a noticeable pop, you'll flood it every time. I just kind of figured that was a Stihl thing.

Joe

Ha, no not just stihl thing :laugh: I was saying bad words about that 359 the first couple of days.

my jonny 2159 used to take over 10 pulls cold, that is until i had it woods ported, now it starts second pull

My 359 is modded now as well, and fires right up. But it did start behaving nicely prior to getting it modded once I got the starting procedure down. I was very happy with it stock, but now :heart: :heart:

Id place my bet on carb tuned too lean OR you havent opened winterflap and installed winter shield (blue plastic) over starter cover...

What kind of gas are you using?I would only use regular unleaded.I found that husky's do not like premium gas.I once had a new 372 that I put premium gas in straight from the dealer,and I had a very hard time starting it hot or cold.Once I switched to regular gas,I didn't have any more trouble

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree with this more.
I switched ALL my small engines to premium, starting last summer, and without exception EVERYTHING runs better.
Fresh NO ETHANOL pure premium gas.

Sounds like a carb adjustment is all.

I just paid $450 for a husky 359 saw it is two weeks old and it takes about 20 pulls to get it started,my dealer said there was nothing wrong.

20 Pulls? I would ask for a new saw! I have a Jred 2159 that starts on the third pull without the choke at room temp. If it is cold out say -15c it will start or pop on the second pull and will run at fast idle on the third. Mine came a bit lean on the low side of carb try to richen a bit? I live at 4000 feet above sea level so that is standard with me but it made a big difference on my new 2159.

2 or 3 pulls with choke on until it pops and then 2 at the most with the choke off for mine. I haven't noticed much difference with decompression off or on. Mine has been like this since new. Good luck, I hope it gets better or your dealer does something for you.

Probably a solution that you've already tried, but my wife's 26cc Echo has had a similar problem. I turned the low speed mixture control a bit richer and it now starts easily.

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree with this more.
I switched ALL my small engines to premium, starting last summer, and without exception EVERYTHING runs better.
Fresh NO ETHANOL pure premium gas.

Sounds like a carb adjustment is all.

I agree with this Even my owners manual say's use premium gas It means more also if your saw is etech to use premium.

Try it without using the compression release.

I was thinkin' the same thing. I remember a lot of posts about the same topic when the 361 came out too. People would keep pullin' on it even after the release would "pop", and they would flood the saw.

The compression release "pop" can be very subtle. If it so much as burbles it is usually enough to pop the compression release.

Gary

I was thinkin' the same thing. I remember a lot of posts about the same topic when the 361 came out too. People would keep pullin' on it even after the release would "pop", and they would flood the saw.

The compression release "pop" can be very subtle. If it so much as burbles it is usually enough to pop the compression release.I flooded my sthil the first time I used it!

Gary

This might have something to do with it my Sthil is the same take it off choke even if it does not pop, my Jred will run a second or two before the Decomp will pop out. You can here it sounds tinny or a rattle then back to normal

Latest posts

Back