Why the 390 is replacing the 660!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:censored: happens.
The warranty thing may be a result of the economy. I was in our Stihl dealership today, and they said the economy was not being very nice to them either.
On a side note I set a record today. Walked out of the Stihl shop with a bill totaling less than $5. First time for everything.
Gotta go back Friday, he said he had an 066 that had been left for repair last year, but never picked up. Said he'd take $275 for it. :D Have to see what it looks like, but unless it's real rough, I'm afraid it will be in my herd.

Andy

Replace the adjuster and go on with life and learn from it. You can get new ones on ebay for under 12.00$ most the time. I have bought several.

Not the dealer or manufacturers fault you made a mistake. Im not trying to be an ass, but thats how it is.

i can understand part of your rage here you feel slighted by him charging so much for a bar adjuster and install on it , i work part time as a saw mechanic for a local dealer when he gets behind , you have to remember that he has to pay himself and feed his family just as you and i do , and even when i go to the shop and work 9 times out of ten i dont take cash money he orders some parts i need for a project saw and he foots the bill at dealer cost .
i undestand the frustration with down saws . i loaned out my 064 a while back now it has 60 psi comp (wonder what happened there the tank was empty when it got brought back ). and my new oem p and c on my 066 got trashed due to a lower end crankbearing letting go .
i used to be the same as alot of people who would trash talk a dealer , until you sit on the dirty side of the counter you have no idea how much stress a dealer /mechanic goes thru in a days time ,
most of the time when someone comes thru the door something is tore up and they need it fixed and now days most people are on such a tight budget that a new set of mower blades could be recognized as a luxury item .
im not the owner of the business but i take complaints daily . heres a good one . put a battery in a mower , thats all the woman wanted , a week later a spindle bearing goes and its the shops fault, and we were called everything but a saint because of a spindle bearing going out and tearing up a belt.
just trying to let you see some of the stuff from another point of view .
we all have businesses to run and equipment that fails from time to time or something breaks . its like my ole pappy told me years ago ," son you have to take the **** with the shine ." and truer words have never been spoken .

If you are used to the 660 I think you would be surprised
by the 390, the lighter weight, the smothness of it and the
mighty power it has. And if modded, noone should need more power
really. I bucked an entire day using the 3120, fun for a start,
heavy after a while. OK, a 660 or 395 is much lighter but still..

Yeah Pete, modified one heck of a saw.
A modified 385/90 is more than what most need, but lotsa fun.

Pete,

Dang it. I agree with you again.

Good job ole chap, :cheers:

ole joat

I understand kick back is gonna happen. And for you smart guys out there it's just as much the wood being cut as the operator many times. If you don't think so than you cut douglas fur and have never layed your chain into a piece of honey locust. I've calmed down from the orgignal pissed off paragraph and analyzed everything. It's not so much the adjuster but the issueas as a whole. I have 2 husky's, not because i'm not a fan but because the dealer is 15 miles away while the stihl shop is one. I haven't had one issue with any of the husky's i've bought now granted they've only been a few 359's and 2 372's this year to speak of. It just seems like every other saw from stihl has an issue! Heres just a few

1.... Air leak on a 270, needed new crank case seal. One week old
2......192 in the shop for 2 weeks of the first month i owned it. Finally after 1 carb rebuild and a new carb it was fixed.
3... Got dad a 211 for his b-day, huge crack on the bottom of saw. No saws in stock had to wait for part.
4... 361 in shop several times for metering arm adjustments until a new carb actually made it run tolerable.
5 200 t was set right but either somebody stole the airfilter while on display or stihl forgot to install one. I'll let this one go.
6 the crappiest bar nuts ever. to tight they back out the stud, to loose the adjuster thing can happen. Carry 2 in pocket at all times.
7 Any body who buys a 260 without intentiond of modding it would be better served just buying an ms 211. cutting speed is similar.
Over 60% of my stihls in the last 2 years have been in the shop for one reason or another while none of my husky' have had issues. I understand that things happen but they seem to be happeneing more and more with stihl. I defended all that chi-com crap but defend no more I will. Oh' and for the guy that said the dealer has to eat, I get that! But when of my best customers calls up and says I had a branch fall in my yard from a storm. I dont send out a bill for 5 minutes work simply because I know next year we're gonna be trimming those evervitasis and maples. Why would I jepoardize that for a few bucks!

I'm surprised you only get a 90 day warranty?
My Husky came with 24 months (I said it was homeowner though but the dealer knew otherwise). Commercial warranty on my 3120 was 12 months.
I think Stihl is the same. I've never heard of a 90 day warranty on a pro saw in Oz but might be wrong?

As far as the adjuster screw is concerned, it wouldn't be warranty with Husky either. As written, any warranty is for "defects in material or workmanship". The adjuster screw wasn't put on wrong or made wrong, it was damaged during use.

For a guy that buys as much stuff as you, I'd have probably charged for the part and not for the labor, and I figure that should make us both happy.

It's not the adjuster screw itself, but your long list of problems with other Stihls that has you thinking of switching. Some guys will switch from one to the other because of one problem with one saw, so you're a pretty loyal customer.

I can't address any of that, but I doubt that there is any accross the board drop in Stihl quality. Be aware that some of the problems you mentioned can be found on Huskys also. Carbs on 357's/359's were bad enough that they switched from a walbro to a zama in order to correct the problem. With todays gas, you have to keep carbs in stock for the pro saws, whether it's Stihl or Husky.

As far as the adjuster screw is concerned, it wouldn't be warranty with Husky either. As written, any warranty is for "defects in material or workmanship". The adjuster screw wasn't put on wrong or made wrong, it was damaged during use.

For a guy that buys as much stuff as you, I'd have probably charged for the part and not for the labor, and I figure that should make us both happy.

It's not the adjuster screw itself, but your long list of problems with other Stihls that has you thinking of switching. Some guys will switch from one to the other because of one problem with one saw, so you're a pretty loyal customer.

I can't address any of that, but I doubt that there is any accross the board drop in Stihl quality. Be aware that some of the problems you mentioned can be found on Huskys also. Carbs on 357's/359's were bad enough that they switched from a walbro to a zama in order to correct the problem. With todays gas, you have to keep carbs in stock for the pro saws, whether it's Stihl or Husky.

Nice post! I kind of attacked the adjuster thing which in hindsight wasn't a huge deal but I get the feeling that stihl is slipping in quality. There isn't a time that I walk into the shop that there is a ton of new saws, trimmers you name it waiting for repair. Now I defend the line so I know probably 70% of those repairs are customer fault, bad gas whatever. I was having a beer at the local watering hole talking to a lawn service owner who had switched to tanaka due to quality issue he had experienced with stihl, he had used stihl for over 20yrs so that says a little something.

Nice post! I kind of attacked the adjuster thing which in hindsight wasn't a huge deal but I get the feeling that stihl is slipping in quality. There isn't a time that I walk into the shop that there is a ton of new saws, trimmers you name it waiting for repair. Now I defend the line so I know probably 70% of those repairs are customer fault, bad gas whatever. I was having a beer at the local watering hole talking to a lawn service owner who had switched to tanaka due to quality issue he had experienced with stihl, he had used stihl for over 20yrs so that says a little something.

Today I replaced the choke lever on my FS76 Brushcutter. That, and the throttle cable on my BR400 are the only parts that I have ever had fail on a Stihl product in over 15 years. I'll call Stihl reliability above average.

You are very polite to Stihl, but I believe you are right! :clap::clap:

I understand kick back is gonna happen. And for you smart guys out there it's just as much the wood being cut as the operator many times. If you don't think so than you cut douglas fur and have never layed your chain into a piece of honey locust.

LMAO... come on out here and cut on Dougie Fir blowdowns after a rain/wind storm and then the side of the hill came down too... you wanna talk about wood under tension!

It has everything to do with the operator! You choose to cut wood that is gnarly and under tension and strain. The wood is just there... it's the operator that makes the cuts, and the deciscions where to cut.

Good luck...

Gary

it is operator not tool error

LMAO... come on out here and cut on Dougie Fir blowdowns after a rain/wind storm and then the side of the hill came down too... you wanna talk about wood under tension!

It has everything to do with the operator! You choose to cut wood that is gnarly and under tension and strain. The wood is just there... it's the operator that makes the cuts, and the deciscions where to cut.

Good luck...

Gary

i agree tools are tools it is homo sapiens that are the brains and brawn that use the tool:clap: and doug fir can be nasty then a scorned woman to work with. i think the worst kick back problems i get into my self is juny ( juniper ) it is sometime so twisted it pinches and binds the saw:chainsaw:

:givebeer:

Back