Why won't my 6400 oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have had the oiler apart and replaced the adjustment "nub" with a small screw. I replaced the lines and shimmed the inlet line with a washer. This fixed the drooling problem while sitting. It looks like I am getting good adjustment range on the throw of the pump.

With the bar on and no chain I can see a good bit of oil pumping. With the bar groove cleaned I get sling off the chain but within a few minutes of cutting I get this

image.jpg

It does this with two different bars. One of them I enlarged the oil hole to no effect. It will oil a little but not much once the oiler passage and oil hole get plugged.

Before someone tells me to sharpen my chain it does the same with a brand new chain throwing nice chips.

What is going on? Is it an oil volume problem? Bar?

I love the saw but this oiler is driving me nuts. I'm about ready to replace the pump and bar unless anyone else has an idea.

How is all the crap getting in your oil channel? The bar should seal tight to that and not allow that sawdust to get in there. The oil hole that you can see on the bar is also clogged.

How is all the crap getting in your oil channel? The bar should seal tight to that and not allow that sawdust to get in there.

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out. Last night I went after some firewood at a friend's house. I cleaned the bar channel and put on a sharp chain. In the garage with everything clean I was literally painting lines on the floor from the oil sling off and the chain was nice and wet. After two cuts on some 28" oak barely any oil.

I'm wondering if maybe the guide plate or clutch cover is the problem. This is an ex-HD rental saw and the clutch cover shows signs of being over tightened. But, when it is all together everything lines up and tightens down ok.

I'd start over. Clean all the dust off. Pull the plate off and make sure it's not packed full of sawdust. Put it back together and take a picture of how it looks with the cover on.

Maybe try a film of grease on the bar to help it make a better seal.

Edit: Check the plate and make sure it's flat. From the picture it seems rolled a little by the oiler.

Latest posts

Back