wich stock saw would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 359 with a bad cylinder, so I put a 357 cylinder on it. Good friend of mine bought it and sold his stock 359 because the 357 cylinder on the 359 chassis without stuffers had more low end torqe. And yes it had a monkey carb on it...

Broken case,screws that wont stay tight,on off switch wire, leaking oil tank, decompression line(switched back to old style) and coil issues. other than that, it's been a great saw.:rock:

Yeah that's a bad one, but all those parts are the same on a 359. XP makes no difference there.

Broken case,screws that wont stay tight,on off switch wire, leaking oil tank, decompression line(switched back to old style) and coil issues. other than that, it's been a great saw.:rock:

I missed that first time. That is a very early model. The auto decomp is a known problem and Husky dropped that after a couple years. The decomp button on the side of the cylinder is the 'new style' and works great.

I missed that first time. That is a very early model. The auto decomp is a known problem and Husky dropped that after a couple years. The decomp button on the side of the cylinder is the 'new style' and works great.

I had great luck with the 2 series of husqvarna (254,257,262)bulletproof and used them professionally for 10 years, cutting 1000-1200 cords of pulpwood for years with the above mentioned saws. I feel like the newer series of saws are not of the same quality of the 90s but that might just be me. I don't cut wood for a living anymore but I still keep up on whats going on. I feel that stihl has higher quality especially in the smaller saws, 261 or 362, I own neither but I know many guys that do and they are very impressed by them. They are a tad slower speed wise but a higher quality unit. The same goes for clearing saws, the old 480 was bulletproof in comparison to the husky 345(not even close)I have used both professionally and it's no contest.

the husqvarna 357 or the 359
tell me the differences:msp_smile:

Given a similar choise...I put my dollars on a 555. Love the thing. Between a 357 and 359? still a 555. But forced to choose...s 359. Better bang per buck. Had bad luck where I work with early 357xp's..I have been told by someone who knows they solved the early teething issues with their intake boots...just never got over the initial impression. THEN had the chance to run both a 555 and 562....its a no brainer in that price range..even with other brand saws in that plus or minus 600 dollar range. 555. Not quite a 562, but real close, low vibration, REALLY low; better fuel usage. luv mine, would buy it again given the same options...As an aside, I had a life altering injury last spring.:( Yea logging related; embarassing situation. As a result the anti vibration and starting characteristics of my 555 became a blessing. Can't run my 372 based saws yet..another month or two. Forget the big iron. But have been able to run that 555 and appreciate it more every time.

I had great luck with the 2 series of husqvarna (254,257,262)bulletproof and used them professionally for 10 years, cutting 1000-1200 cords of pulpwood for years with the above mentioned saws. I feel like the newer series of saws are not of the same quality of the 90s but that might just be me. I don't cut wood for a living anymore but I still keep up on whats going on. I feel that stihl has higher quality especially in the smaller saws, 261 or 362, I own neither but I know many guys that do and they are very impressed by them. They are a tad slower speed wise but a higher quality unit. The same goes for clearing saws, the old 480 was bulletproof in comparison to the husky 345(not even close)I have used both professionally and it's no contest.

The old 2xx saws were very good. But in my experience the newer 3xx saws are just as good and better in some ways. I have been using a 346xp since January 2001 in semi commercial use and it has been flawless, has a ton of hours and still going strong. Bought a used 357xp 3 years ago and it was 4 years old when I got it. That saw has been flawless also, not even a hiccup. My brother is running an old 351 and a 359 that I picked up used, said they are the best two saws he's ever owned and he's had old Poulans and Stihls. Bunches of 359s and 372xps' around here going strong for years. Just not seeing many problems with any of them.

Your 357 was a very early one and they were not right the first couple years.

The old 2xx saws were very good. But in my experience the newer 3xx saws are just as good and better in some ways. I have been using a 346xp since January 2001 in semi commercial use and it has been flawless, has a ton of hours and still going strong. Bought a used 357xp 3 years ago and it was 4 years old when I got it. That saw has been flawless also, not even a hiccup. My brother is running an old 351 and a 359 that I picked up used, said they are the best two saws he's ever owned and he's had old Poulans and Stihls. Bunches of 359s and 372xps' around here going strong for years. Just not seeing many problems with any of them.

Your 357 was a very early one and they were not right the first couple years.

Very true. I am curious about the 346xp and would to get one, the NE version. From what I have read here it seems to be very well balanced which I will take any day of the week. The 357 in comparison to to the 254/262, handles like a brick.

Very true. I am curious about the 346xp and would to get one, the NE version. From what I have read here it seems to be very well balanced which I will take any day of the week. The 357 in comparison to to the 254/262, handles like a brick.

If I could only have one saw, it'd be a 346xp. Get one if ya can. :msp_smile:

Back