Wide tip STIHL Bars no more???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I I just got a new 32" stihl ES bar and specifically asked for the wide tip version. Well when I got it, it was not the wide tip version. My dealer told me they just recently changed the part numbers for the bars. The number on the bar he got me is 3003 000 8846. He told me this was the number for the wide tip version. Anyone know what is going on? Sorry if the question has been asked before.

image.jpg

Stihl is discontinuing wide tip bars in the US for liability reasons. Wider nose bar, more kickback. More kickback, more accidents. More accidents, more lawyers. More lawyers, more money. I think what is happening is that dealers are getting the narrow bar part numbers, regardless of what they look up for any length bar now. Stihl has also removed the bar guide from their newer catalogs.

Your dealer is not right about the 3003 000 8846 bar being wide nosed, or a new PN. That PN is for the 11 tooth nose sprocket 3/8 32 inch 0.050 bar which is the narrow one. That is from my 2008 catalog. What you want is a 3003 000 9646 which is a 3/8 32 inch 0.050 bar with a 13 tooth wide nose sprocket. But those are being discontinued by Stihl, and may not be available any more from Stihl USA. I would try to order one, and if you can get it get as many as you can. They are going bye bye.

Wind thrown is right...your dealer probably ordered your 9646 and it was automatically superceded to the narrow 8846 thru his order system. Wide nose bars are not even in the 2014 bar/chain catalog from what I can recall.

Has anybody got any real evidence that the wide nosed long Stihl bars are more prone to kickback? Or is this just a case of CYA by Stihl?
I always liked the wide nose for cutting out jack notches and boring but maybe that's just 'cause I'm used to them.
I know a lot of guys who use those bars, including myself, and I haven't heard anything about them being dangerous as opposed to a narrower nose.

Stihl is discontinuing wide tip bars in the US for liability reasons. Wider nose bar, more kickback. More kickback, more accidents. More accidents, more lawyers. More lawyers, more money. I think what is happening is that dealers are getting the narrow bar part numbers, regardless of what they look up for any length bar now. Stihl has also removed the bar guide from their newer catalogs.

Your dealer is not right about the 3003 000 8846 bar being wide nosed, or a new PN. That PN is for the 11 tooth nose sprocket 3/8 32 inch 0.050 bar which is the narrow one. That is from my 2008 catalog. What you want is a 3003 000 9646 which is a 3/8 32 inch 0.050 bar with a 13 tooth wide nose sprocket. But those are being discontinued by Stihl, and may not be available any more from Stihl USA. I would try to order one, and if you can get it get as many as you can. They are going bye bye.
Isn't it great how this nation has become a nation of people that can't except the fact that using dangerous equipment can cause injuries that are not the manufactures fault.

Injury and death are the only things we have to purge the dumb asses from our world.

Isn't it great how this nation has become a nation of people that can't except the fact that using dangerous equipment can cause injuries that are not the manufactures fault.
Injury and death are the only things we have to purge the dumb asses from our world

That pretty much sums it up. Your statement is accurate and 100% correct.

John R said:
“Isn't it great how this nation has become a nation of people that can't except the fact that using dangerous equipment can cause injuries that are not the manufactures fault.
Injury and death are the only things we have to purge the dumb asses from our world

That pretty much sums it up. Your statement is accurate and 100% correct.

Exactly!

Injury and death are the only things we have to purge the dumb asses from our world.

Its all about liability. Hot coffee lead to a huge McDonalds lawsuit. Blitz is bankrupt now from legal suits filed by people burning themselves after throwing gas from Blitz cans on fires. Walmart had to pay a huge settlement in the Blitz case just for selling them. Its a lawyer happy world.

The cutters on the end of the bar produce up force and kickback. Echo has been putting bar end guards on their smaller homeowner saws for years to avoid issues with that. Saw companies in many states have been required to sell safety chain on saws less than 60cc in size. Wider nose bars produce more up force from the cutters at the tip than do narrow nose bars, and thus produce more kickback. Its a simple matter of physics. In the end, I do not think that they will ban full chisel chain, they will ban non-safety chain. So safety rakers will rule with narrow tip bars, and we will all be limited to buying green bars and chains. Yellow B&C will be a thing of the past.

Its all about liability. Hot coffee lead to a huge McDonalds lawsuit. Blitz is bankrupt now from legal suits filed by people burning themselves after throwing gas from Blitz cans on fires. Walmart had to pay a huge settlement in the Blitz case just for selling them. Its a lawyer happy world.

The cutters on the end of the bar produce up force and kickback. Echo has been putting bar end guards on their smaller homeowner saws for years to avoid issues with that. Saw companies in many states have been required to sell safety chain on saws less than 60cc in size. Wider nose bars produce more up force from the cutters at the tip than do narrow bars, and thus produce more kickback. Its a simple matter of physics. In the end, I do not think that they will ban full chisel chain, they will ban non-safety chain. So safety rakers will rule with narrow tip bars, and we will all be limited to buying green bars and chains. Yellow B&C will be a thing of the past.
I sure hope your wrong, guess I better buy up a few more chains.

Wind thrown is right...your dealer probably ordered your 9646 and it was automatically superceded to the narrow 8846 thru his order system. Wide nose bars are not even in the 2014 bar/chain catalog from what I can recall.
I can confirm this. If I try an put 9646 into my order it automatically updates to 8846.

Well, there you have it ladies and gents, we are at the end of an era.

No more Blitz gas cans, and no more wide nose Stihl bars.

Latest posts

Back