Widow maker and a snapped chain sucks! "Graphic photos---enter at own risk"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to get some chaps, been lucky for the past 30 years cutting, don't want to push my luck.

That looks close to the knee!
Hope all is good by now!

yeah everything is good beside some non repairable nerve damage in that leg. This happened with no chaps just snowmobile bibs, I did not think my bumper spikes were that sharp but if you look at the last pic they did their job alright spiking into whatever the saw wants to cut through.

To be honest I was going to use my 044 with the 32'' bar on it that day to cut down that tree but I felt the 391 with a 20'' bar would be a little safer. I know a few people I know laughed at me for cutting my leg when getting a Christmas tree for my house but it shows how unpredictable a saw can be.

I've been using saws for 25 years and never had any type of accident or injury. I had been thinking about getting some chaps though...guess I'm getting a little more careful in my old age. Think this post is the push I needed to go ahead and order a set. Glad it wasn't more serious and hope you heal up quick.

I've never had an incident either until a few weeks ago when I was trying to teach a guy how to properly fell a tree and while I was talking to him, let my saw drift back toward my leg.

I had no idea I had touched my leg until I looked down and saw a cut in my chaps. I could see every tooth mark so I doubt it would have actually done any damage to me but the point I'm trying to make is it only takes a second of inattention for something to happen.

Saw safe!

Aww that's just a lil scratch. It sure jumped up and bit ya though!
Did they give you laughing gas or what? lol

All jokes aside, Glad you're alright mang!

Ouch, hope you heal quickly! Could have been a lot worse, glad it wasn't. I guess I'm breaking out the chaps. Just got them, sitting in the package on the shelf, never even seen if they fit. Will make sure they reach the ankles.

Thats a nasty cut there bud. I really REALLY need to get me some chaps. Everytime I see this, it makes me wonder why I havent got them yet.
Try to take it easy until it heals some. Busting stitches is a PITA.

Hangups are where lots of newbies come unstuck with close calls, best way to drop a hang-up is by bowling it off with another tree, posting down a fat trunk at chest height is a big hassle and your trees are smashed and broken up top and if there's dead stuff up there then lookout. Stuff comes down fast to smash you over in a blink. Post down vertical hangups with angled cuts that let the log slide.

Getting hammered on the head by widow-makers isn't fun and you take full blame yourself for not staying wide awake. Gravity accelerates things at you faster than any drag car, the 0 to 100 mph stats of anything falling are phenomenal, but it's still your own fault for not looking up and sussing it first, chaps or no chaps

yikes.... makes me glad, got Labonville 10 ply chaps
more importantly they actually get used. although do get the lazy and not wear em with smaller saws

Geeze, Matt, wish I would have caught this thread sooner. Glad you are ok dude! Like you were saying about the boot's. Sure pay's to wear a good pair of logger's. Wow that hurt to look at get well buddy.:msp_unsure:

Just got out the last of the second batch of stitches tonight!!!!!!!
They were those big nasty horse hair kind.
Feels tender, but all is good!
Finally able to go back to work full duty Monday.
The wife is happier then I am! LOL!

Latest posts

Back