Widow Maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its usually best to knock them out with another tree or the machine. Just the everyday in the woods. There isn't always the option though. Here is one I had not too long ago. I was running on this one. When the maple started to go I boogied. That mess thats all around the stump was a wind blown top I had to cut out to get to my tree in the first place.

attachment.php

View attachment 215628

The wind storm we experienced a couple of weeks before XMAS left lots of widowmakers and hangers. I was called to the Sierras to open a road and clean up a camp which because of no rain/snow we were able to drive into. By the time I arrived the road was mostly open but I worked with a good Bobcat operator and cleared the last 1/2 mile. One tree was about 40" inches but only needed one cut to widen the road. (This was the only spot in 2 1/2 miles that the road was all ice and of course it was also slanted toward the tree so out came the 090.)

The camp did not suffer too much damage with the exception of one building that was missing most of its corrugated metal roof but there were several blowdowns. All except the largest I was able to cut free and drop to the ground with just a few cuts. The one large white fir I was able to use a throw line in and set up rope up high enough to tension, then face and backcut, and the stand up and pull over with the truck winch. There will lots of work come spring but if we get decent snows the weight will take down most of the rest of the hazards.

The Forest Service campground right outside of our gate took tremendous damage. It looked as if a giant was playing pick up sticks with 3' diameter trees. My guess is the wind was more of a down draft in their camp or maybe somehow the topography directed the winds into the center of their camp because the perimeter seemed to be intact. Anyway the camp is a mess and very unsafe.

Back