Wifey is giving me a chainsaw for Christmas!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wifey is giving me a chainsaw for Christmas!!!! I've been cutting for 3 1/2 years now (on weekends), doing forestry management for my sports club. We've got 47 acres that have to be thinned, cleaned and maintained. Most of what I cut is 20" dbh or less. I drop, limb and buck the trees, another couple of guys move and split it; sell for firewood. A couple times a year I have to deal with larger stuff, but I can get it done with the 20", but its slow and I know the 290 is working real hard. Anything real big we hire a pro to put it on the ground and then I buck it.

My go to saw is a 290 with a 16" bar and a 20" for larger stuff. I have 2 old Super XLAO's and some small old poulans(for limbing). The 290 runs great, but I want MORE!!! I am committed to Stihl, 2 good local dealers and the Husky dealer is too far away (and pricey).

Here's the question or what my plan is. I'll ask wifey to get me a MS361 and outfit it with a 16", 20" and a 25" bar and the appropriate chains (skip for the large bar) and ebay the 290 and most of the other saws. This should get me the $ to get a 260 for a small saw (maybe a 250-cause its that much cheaper). I really don't like working with a top handle so the 200T is out, but have considered the 200 rear handle as my small saw.

As much as I'd like a 440 or 460 I really wouldn't use (need) it that often and thats allot of money to have sitting around, and yes at 14-15 lbs it does get heavy for a weekend user.

Does this plan make sense? 361 for most of my cutting (muffler mod in the near future) and a 260 or 200 (rear handle) for the lighter stuff. Please be honest, I've been around here long enough to realize that you guys are gonna have fun, but I've learned allot and found your opinions to be the ones I can rely on.:deadhorse:

I WOULD JUST USE THE 361 FOR EVERYTHING :hmm3grin2orange: THAT SAW IS LITE ENOUGH FOR THAT,BUT THEN AGAIN I USE A 460 FOR EVERYTHING

Get the 361 and keep the 290. There may be a time when you need the 290 to free the 361 from a pinch, the bars are interchangeable between the 2 saws and the 290 is already paid for.

Lucky You, Good Woman you have there!!!

:bowdown: 361 Awesome saw, Think I would keep the 290 for sure and leave the 16" bar on it for it for limbing & diggin the 361 out As Sedanman said....

:D :D

You must have been a good boy

I would have to agree on keeping the 290 also you will love the 361 i have a 036 pro and it has been a great saw which is similar to the 361.

I agree with what has been said, get the MS361 and keep the 290 for a back up. If I could only keep one of my saws it would be the 361.

I do believe that serious a@@ kissing, wife worshiping and a remote start for her truck are definitely called for. I am a lucky guy - she's also still my best friend.:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe get a ms170 latter, if you really want a lighter saw, but don't give the 260 consideration, even the Diehardest Stihl fanatics don't like that saw!!
The 290 as a backup isn't a bad idea at all, been there done that!
Andy

CaseyForrest said:
Good choice on the 361, but skip the 260. If you are thinking 200 in a rear handle, youll love it. That thing is a screamer.

I think Casey solved your problem and I am going to second it as I have both as well.:rock:

My good wife told me to get whatever I want for christmas for my chainsaws.
Well I have wore Bailey's and Madsens out this week. 2-16" bars for my racers and a 32" bar for my 066, so I dont get caught with my 066 and 18" bar with 44" of tree in front of me. Now I can go at it with a pair of 32" bars on my 7900 and 066, trees beware. Files,guides,toys,etc. Ka-ching.
Since my wife has been so great with the saw thing, I drove home a bright red 2004 Monte carlo for her for christmas. Like we need another car ( have 7 now) but we only live once.
I really wanted the red or blue 2007 SS Monte with the 5.3, but cant stand payments. So I went with the 2004 Monte family car with the one payment plan, cash talks.

Last edited:
I would also keep the 29. Best of both worlds is a saw sized for most of your cutting with the ability to run a bar about 4" longer, i.e. 360 with 20" bar and a 24" for when you need it. No need to waste money on a 16" for the 361 if you have another saw sized for the work.

Keep the 290 w/16" bar until you can buy a somewhat smaller saw that will run a 14 or 16" bar for your trimming and limbing. Unless you are crawling up trees to prune I wouldn't go for the small saws.

I carry 2 saws at all times. Husky 51/16" for limbing and small bucking, MS310/20" for mostof my bucking and falling, then, when needed, 041/24" for the big stuff. That one needs to be replaced with something that will run a 28-30" bar (24" looks like a toothpick when falling stuff 36" DBH and up)
I don't have to swap bars back and forth with that stable and I always have a saw to cut my way out of a jam.

Harry K

Fish said:
My wife has given me the same present on Christmas and my birthday for
21 years, and I never complain..........................
Has she been giving you an Eager Beaver :rock:

Latest posts

Back