Will a chainsaw run without the Exhaust/Muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding a husky 45, has a new piston, carb rebuild, ignition coil, but still won't start. Will the lack of exhaust be causing it not to start? I've got compression, I've got a spark and The carb definitely smells like fuel, so this is all I can think of

Heck ya it will run. It won't run if it is flooded. It needs compression, fuel and air in the correct ratio, and spark in the correct voltage and at the right time. Figure it out.
Definitely not flooded. Think there might be an issue with fuel getting to the cylinder actually, although I'm not sure, that's all I can think of now

Doesn't seem like it. "Well my saw doesn't run, time to hit the internet". I like common sense so my attitude is reflective on who does and does not use it, and how long they have been here (three days for you), and if I think they are going to contribute after they get help or just disappear. Sorry I am a curmudgeon.

How much did you rebuild?
1. There are 2 types of ignition/flywheel, Electrolux & Phelon. They don't mix.
2. There are 2 keyways in the Electrolux flywheel at 90 degrees to each other. The one marked "4" is for the 40 & 45.
Didn't change the flywheel at all. However you might be able to help me with another issue. The springs on my 235 flywheel have basically given way, unravelled and now it won't pull, is that a new flywheel needed?

Didn't change the flywheel at all. However you might be able to help me with another issue. The springs on my 235 flywheel have basically given way, unravelled and now it won't pull, is that a new flywheel needed?
235 is way too new for me to have inside knowledge. I only have the IPL to go with and as it doesn't show part numbers for pawls, springs and pins, I think the answer is "yes".

As others have stated, it will run w/o the muffler attached.

And, a tree falling in the forest will make noise, even if no one is around to hear it. :drinkingcoffee:
Can you answer this question? If a man is talking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Had a go at putting fuel directly into the carb, still not even a HINT of a start, which is really weird. There's definitely compression. No idea whats going on

Latest posts

Back