Will a drywall filter stop ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of those little 1 gallon shop vacs for ash cleanup around the stove and wondered if the drywall filter that's available is fine enough to stop ash (cold, dead, old ash that is).

Ian

I've read on another list that it will but in our case we just use the regular filter and we cobbled together a hose that fits the exhaust port. The hose is long enough to reach outside our house so the really fine ash ends up outside.

Shari

The small filters for the little 1 gallon vacs are a much more reasonable $16... http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=426

I think I'm going to find a couple of metal 5 gallon buckets someplace to put ash in. Let it sit a couple weeks before bagging it and sending it out with the trash.

Ian

I've read on another list that it will but in our case we just use the regular filter and we cobbled together a hose that fits the exhaust port. The hose is long enough to reach outside our house so the really fine ash ends up outside.

Shari

Instead of a hose to the exhaust port I use a wet tube sock to catch the fine ash.

I think I'm going to find a couple of metal 5 gallon buckets someplace to put ash in. Let it sit a couple weeks before bagging it and sending it out with the trash.

Ian

Thats what I do Haywood. My woodburner is in an unfinished basement and Im not too worried about fine ash on floor. I just scoop out a couple of shovelfuls in the morning when its low. Let the steel bucket sit outside then pour into paper feedsack and send to the trash. So far I havent burnedup the garbage truck yet. :)

I have been usin g a craftsman midsize vac for several years to pick up the ash spillage. With the standard filter no problems. Seems to catch it all. Worst part is to take the vac filter out and use the compressor to blow it out since the ash clogs the filter pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back