Will a husky 2100 pull a 42" bar in hard wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a husky 2100 that I want to set up as a stump saw for stump grinding. I was looking at 42" bars in the bailys catolog. Will the 2100 handle it in a big oak stump? Should I use a skip tooth or full comp? The saw is 3/8X 50 with a 24" now. Thanks

Listed for up to 60". I don't do stumps so I won't recommend chains.

(In my ignorance I'd run skip to reduce load on saw, get chips out, make sharpening a 42" chain less work...)

Chaser

I haven't run a 40'' bar on my 2100. But I would doubt you'll have any problems with that setup. Mine pulls just fine with a 28" bar and full comp. chain with plenty of power left to spare.

rodger

wagonwheeler said:
(In my ignorance I'd run skip to reduce load on saw, get chips out, make sharpening a 42" chain less work...)
Chaser

semi or full skip my be a the way to go for the stumping setup. B/C those chains are gonna dull fast on a stumping saw. May save you some time and sanity when sharpening
rodger

Goodness yes it will pull it. Run skip on long bars- it will carry chips out of the cut better and save filing time.

My 2100 only pulls a 16 inch bar, but if the guys on the west coast run 28 inch bars on 361s the why not?

Fred

I cannot concieve of a 2100 with a 16 inch bar. I know that it won't bog down but a 268/371/372 will outcut a 2100 if both are equipped with a 16- The smaller displacement saws turn faster and won't be straining at all with a 16. To justify the additional weight of saws beyond the 4 CID/70cc class they need to have some (needed)bar length to pull-otherwise a person is just working his/herself harder.

Mr. said:
The saw does all the work.
Cool! Your saw actually carries itself to the tree makes the face cut, backcut and then walks itself down the log limbing and bucking? Wow! I need one like that. All my saws have to carried and directed/controlled.:biggrinbounce2:
My dad used to run a 394 years ago but we noticed that I limbed and bucked just as fast at the beginning of the day with a 268XP.At the end of a day the 268 was getting things done faster. When the 394 died he replaced it with a 371. The 394 was great in big butt cuts but when the wood was 24inches in diameter or less it lost its advantage

Due to restrictions, it doesn't appreciate being turned on it's side. "chain and others"

Actual run time on this piston. 146 seconds.:biggrinbounce2:

Of course it will run a good sized bar, but what fun is that?

Fred

Back