Will file for beer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:can:
The chains on the saws at the local campground/store looked horrible.
I got a Granberg jig the other day and I brought it there and showed him how it worked and he could see how far off his cutters were (wrong file sizes, heights, angles, etc,). I told him I'll file a chain for a beer.
I sat at a table by the wood stove with the old juke box playing and brought 3 chains back to spec. Beats watching TV, imho. :glasses-cool:

:can:
The chains on the saws at the local campground/store looked horrible.
I got a Granberg jig the other day and I brought it there and showed him how it worked and he could see how far off his cutters were (wrong file sizes, heights, angles, etc,). I told him I'll file a chain for a beer.
I sat at a table by the wood stove with the old juke box playing and brought 3 chains back to spec. Beats watching TV, imho. :glasses-cool:

If you weren't so far away I'd come over and 'hep yah'. After my third beer/chain you would have to do 'em over. This can go on and on.

I wish I had a country store with a woodstove to hang out in. I'd file chains too!

Maybe I should start doing that. Don't drink but maybe I can file um for a pork chop or something. Times is tuff here in the woods. Good job you can keep your whistle wet anyhow.

Sounds like a good time! :rock:

Whats your opinion on the Granberg?

While you're waiting for Brian....I'll give you my opinion/history of the Granberg.

I bought one new in 1977 and used it right up until about a week ago. It wore out a huge number of files and chains in that time. Once you're used to using one they work very well. I always hand file in the woods as necessary but at night, throw the saw in a bench vise and a few swipes and everything is perfect again. Nothing to take with you to file in the field but a great, inexpensive shop tool. I replaced mine because it was just plain worn out. Picked up a used Laser jig which is the same type of tool but is heavier and bigger and that works real good too. The Laser is just beefier in all ways and does boast a much better/larger cutter clamp. The key to using one of these is lubrication of the rod and bushings to keep things sliding along well...that and make sure the file is clear of and not touching the cutter on the back stroke.

Anyway my Granberge is a bit woobbly and well used but still works pretty well after 32 yrs of use......in this day and age, that says alot IMHO.......:cheers:

Whats your opinion on the Granberg?
Like 'dog said, I wouldn't bother with it in the woods but it works well to get everything back to spec. if your free-handing hasn't been great for a few filings.
It won't get all your cutters to the same length, like a grinder will, though.

So VT what was playing on the Juke box? Maybe Time Life can offer a box set of music to file chains by.

So VT what was playing on the Juke box? Maybe Time Life can offer a box set of music to file chains by.

Patsy Cline, Hank Sr., Elvis, Fats Domino, Ray Price, Righteous Bros., etc. :flag:

good to see the barter system is still alive and well i have been known to take diet pepsi as payment for labor only tasks . just make sure you let those beers wear off before headin home cheers jk

Send me your chains and I'll sharpen them for gift cards to the brewery around the corner from the shop. Beers for sharp chains I like this idea.
Custom BrewCrafters Home Page - Great beer for great people
adj_logo_noadd.gif

Send me your chains and I'll sharpen them for gift cards to the brewery around the corner from the shop. Beers for sharp chains I like this idea.
You'll never be able to justify a Franzen Auto. that way. LOL

Like 'dog said, I wouldn't bother with it in the woods but it works well to get everything back to spec. if your free-handing hasn't been great for a few filings.
It won't get all your cutters to the same length, like a grinder will, though.

Yeah, I couldnt see it being used out in the woods. I am pretty good with the files that have the plates attached to them, but the side of the chain that my stupid left hand sharpens gets screwey. I almost picked one up from Baileys a couple weeks ago to check it out, maybe I'll end up doing that. Are they pretty sturdy while sharpening or is there some slop/cheap feeling?

I've seen a couple homemade chain vises on here. No saw, no bar, just the chain pinched into a couple flat pieces of steel with some type of quick clamp mechanism. I've been wanting to fab up something like this for a long time, that way I can sharpen both sides of the chain right handed. ***Post pics if any of yous has something like this***

Back