Will it reach?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
001-1.jpg

I am sorta committed to pulling that stem leaning toward the highway. I can't decide if the tip will land on the highway if I cut it about 6' off the ground. It is a locust, mostly dead and dying, the stem is about 16" diameter at that crotch. Locust, although a tough wood is also brittle, it does not "hinge" but rather "snaps" when cut.

002-2.jpg

At most by eyeball says only the very tip, if any, will land in the paved breakdown shoulder.

Back story: I was there Saturday to pull it with the idea of ladder up to the fork (about 15' off the ground). Canned that idea when I had the ladder (pro-grade 24 footer) up and my 'helper' said he would steady the ladder while I cut it. That is when I came to and realized that there were two idiots at work.

Harry K

It doesn't quite look like it will reach but some branches may snap off and slide into traffic which wouldn't be good. If it was me, I'd top it first but thas what I do. At the least put a truck on the shoulder with it's 4 ways on and a guy with an orange flag on the road to get the cars to slow down.

Second picture looks like it will reach the road. Do you have any pics from the roadway? Can't tell from the pics if it would be possible to get it to fall parallel with the roadway. Pics make it look like there is enough weight up top to help it go that way. Removing the fence would be easier than getting a citation for dropping it in the roadway.

Last edited:
Mearsuring the height of the tree in the picture, then measuring that distance out from the base of the tree in the pictures, says, no it will not reach the road, about to the edge of the gravel shoulder slope...

Just get there early in the morning on a Saturday when the traffic is light, park your truck in the shoulder (as stated above) and cut it.

I think you're good to go Harry - Let 'er drop! Measuring the tree in the pic on my screen it's 4 inches. Measure out 4 inches from the butt to the road, it's just on the gravel shoulder. A truck parked there like someone said would help some, but no cars coming when you dropped it would help more.

Can't fall anywhere except straight out. I think God designed it that way just to frustrate me.

I still can't believe I was stupid enough to try using a ladder on that thang!

I want to take the entire tree but they guys GF (who owns the tree) says no way and is fighting even pulling that dangerous stem. I think I am going to pass on the whole project, certainly don't need the wood and was only trying to be a good neighbor.

A bit of history to the entire story. It is the remnants of an old family (3 generations at least) Granddaddy died a long time ago leaving a 36 or 37 buick touring in a shed, Whire wheels, suicide doors, fender cutouts for the spares and EVERYTHING THERE. People have tried buying it but Grandmom refused (back then) "Daddy might come back" (he had been dead at least 20 years by that time. Car has set there so long that dirt has filled up to the axle level. Current part owner (other siblings) also won't sell it. Guy says they turned down several thousand for it recently. This gal is about wacked as grandmom was. 4 years ago one of the trees down the row blew the top out in a storm, helluva looking mess. Guy finally says to cut it down while fighting with GF about it.

Ah well, at least I got a couple hours on the saws again and a bit of wood to pay for the time.

Harry K

Doesnt look like it would reach the highway,but if in doubt have you got a throw line?
Throw your bag up into the tree, get a long 150 ft rope, and give it a tug parrallel to the road.If it dropped even slightly towards being parrallel to the road, I doubt it would even be close to the highway.
Is that highway 14 along the Gorge?

looks like you are going to cut that stem about 6-10 ft above the ground??

If you just an open undercut and then from above down, and dont cut it loose....the top will stay about 4-5 ft short of that white post by the shoulder.
001-1will%20it%20reach.jpg

Dammumm I been working the wrong tree. I thought you were talking about the heavy leaner(I reread the first post). Still think you'll be okay, but close...

Dammumm I been working the wrong tree. I thought you were talking about the heavy leaner(I reread the first post). Still think you'll be okay, but close...

Both those trees need to come out. They were 3/4 dead last fall and with the borer working they will be all dead this year or next. The heavy leaner is the remaining part of a 2 stem tree that is rotting at the base. The other stem rotted off years ago. But _she_ will not allow either of them to come out. Dunno if she will allow cleanup after they both fall even. The whole place looks like a long abandoned farmstead. I know from personal experience that the house roof..at least the porch was leaking 20 years ago and nothing has been done since. I will take a shot of that disaster area next time I am in town.

Harry K

looks like you are going to cut that stem about 6-10 ft above the ground??

If you just an open undercut and then from above down, and dont cut it loose....the top will stay about 4-5 ft short of that white post by the shoulder.
001-1will%20it%20reach.jpg

That was my plan but on locust it will not "hinge" the stem will break free by the time it has bent over 20 degrees and then go into free fall. Even at that though it won't reach the pavement. More I think about it,the more I say no-way. I don't need the state patrol raising cain with me for working on their right of way like that.

Harry K

Doesnt look like it would reach the highway,but if in doubt have you got a throw line?
Throw your bag up into the tree, get a long 150 ft rope, and give it a tug parrallel to the road.If it dropped even slightly towards being parrallel to the road, I doubt it would even be close to the highway.
Is that highway 14 along the Gorge?

Nah, it's SR 195 2 miles North of Colfax

Harry K

That was my plan but on locust it will not "hinge" the stem will break free by the time it has bent over 20 degrees and then go into free fall. Even at that though it won't reach the pavement. More I think about it,the more I say no-way. I don't need the state patrol raising cain with me for working on their right of way like that.

Harry K

If you have 150ft/1000lbs rope, you can tie it to your truck hitch and pull either away from or towards camera position, felling like 45 deg to hwy....
need a friend as a climber for that though...:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back