Will it survive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got this mistletoe removal job next week. They sent me a photo of the Oak.View attachment 300496 I figured it was a removal when I first seen the picture. I have done more then my share of mistletoe removal, and I'm not to optimistic about the future of this Oak. If it was caught a few years earlier maybe. Then the company that's hiring me to remove the mistletoe doesn't want me to cut any branches that have growth on them, I understand their thinking but if a branch is to infested so that the mistletoe and wood are now one, surgery is sometimes the only option. They don't want to do the black plastic either at this time.
From a business stand point why should I care I'll knock out the mistletoe, next year I'll cover it in black plastic , then in a year or two maybe get paid to remove it. Problem is I do kind of care and I feel that cutting out what we can, and covering in black plastic now could maybe give the tree a chance. Their also going to fertilize the tree. I don't think that is such a good Idea.
I am no expert, so I'm interested in others opinions or views on this tree . Just guessing I'd say this is a Valley Oak. Their sending me some more pictures soon..

I got this mistletoe removal job next week. They sent me a photo of the Oak.View attachment 300496 I figured it was a removal when I first seen the picture. I have done more then my share of mistletoe removal, and I'm not to optimistic about the future of this Oak. If it was caught a few years earlier maybe. Then the company that's hiring me to remove the mistletoe doesn't want me to cut any branches that have growth on them, I understand their thinking but if a branch is to infested so that the mistletoe and wood are now one, surgery is sometimes the only option. They don't want to do the black plastic either at this time.
From a business stand point why should I care I'll knock out the mistletoe, next year I'll cover it in black plastic , then in a year or two maybe get paid to remove it. Problem is I do kind of care and I feel that cutting out what we can, and covering in black plastic now could maybe give the tree a chance. Their also going to fertilize the tree. I don't think that is such a good Idea.
I am no expert, so I'm interested in others opinions or views on this tree . Just guessing I'd say this is a Valley Oak. Their sending me some more pictures soon..

B, I understand, I would want to cut the branches to get rid of that mistletoe, but there would be nothing left of the oak, looks to be in serious decline, not much left in it, on its way out......wraping it with "black plastic" is just a band aid on an open wound

Back